kimangao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:33 AM   #77
pamplonika
Spritfresser

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimangao View Post
Hi pamplonika,
greetings from the neighbourhood ;-) Keybord could be done on the 17. or 18. November in Sundern. I'll be there ...
http://www.motorradkarawane.de/appointments/choose

Cheers from Essen

Dirk
Hi kimangao,
good news. I will try to come with friend. It is not so far away from my home. (Ihmert)

cu
Pamplonika
pamplonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #78
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimangao View Post
Seems as if I know at least 2 sandlovers now
oh ! that's low... that hurts !
I'm still waiting for some lessons on location !
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamplonika View Post
I will try to come with friend. It is not so far away from my home. (Ihmert)
oh, but at those dates you will be some ride reports ahead of this one ! ;)
you'll have to come again ;) What a pain to follow the stories of this man <|8oD
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #79
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Carufel View Post
Dirk, what tripod head and legs do you carry?

Beautiful photos!!

Hi Ben,
a Manfrotto 055CLB with a #128 head. Some of the cheapest Manfrotto offers. But it's solid and fits on my rear bag.

Cheers

Dirk
Old 10-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #80
Kiwi Dave
Beemer Boy

Oddometer: 119
A feast for eyes!!

Like yourself I too love to share the stories and images collected along the journey. Just yesterday I started accumulating three years worth of snapshots and proper photography in a new thread called Growing Adventures .
It over on the New Zealand regions forum as the collection is all from NZ.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834695

I absolutely love your photography and find it inspirational to push my own boundaries with the camera lens.
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #81
GSGIRL
Neither here nor there

Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by kktos View Post
I'm still waiting for some lessons on location !

oh, but at those dates you will be some ride reports ahead of this one ! ;)
you'll have to come again ;) What a pain to follow the stories of this man <|8oD
I'm a girl, I have an excuse to hate riding in sand What's yours?

Since the Africa ride, I have also ridden New Zealand, Ireland and a ride thru Austria/Slovenia/Croatia. All without sand

I am not sure where next but have become really interested in riding Newfoundland Canada and the western US. We'll see. The more I see Dirk's photos, the more I want to ride in the more exotic places. But I must become a better off road rider.

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.

SmugMug Coupon: guwbixLxjaoTI
Save $5! I did!
GSGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #82
Sylvia Stuurman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
This is great! The photo's, the whole idea of riding around the Mediterranean, and the observations you make.
I loved the parallels, by the way!

Sylvia Stuurman screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 04:14 AM
Sylvia Stuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #83
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Dave View Post
Like yourself I too love to share the stories and images collected along the journey. Just yesterday I started accumulating three years worth of snapshots and proper photography in a new thread called Growing Adventures .
It over on the New Zealand regions forum as the collection is all from NZ.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834695

I absolutely love your photography and find it inspirational to push my own boundaries with the camera lens.

Thank you very much Dave,
the inspiration works vice-versa :-)
Great idea btw to do a collection of all journeys. It's a long time since I was in NZ. Therefor I enjoed even more your pictures. I'll be following your collection.

Cheers

Dirk

kimangao screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 09:43 AM
Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #84
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktos View Post
I didn't mention a name, did I?
Old 10-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #85
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

16th-27th of March

I pitch my tent back on the French side just next to Queribus, an amazing place you'll see a few pics later.

For the first hours of this night I don't sleep at all. Queribus is in the Pays de Cathare, you remember, don't you?

Roughly 800 years ago the Cathares were a Christian community referring to the basic ideas of Christianity. Their movement became stronger over the years and they became dangerous the official church and especially the Pope. He, Pope Innocent III, then decided to fight the heretical Cathares and the only crusade against a Christian community and in Europe began.

The Cathares had built or reinforced fortresses nearly impregnable. One of this fortresses is Queribus, another one Peyrepetuse. This is where I've spent some time in the night.

Due to the long exposure time the stars appear as stripes.

In the morning I hiked to a little hill near my tent to see Queribus. In the background is Mt. Canigou (nearly 2800m). Queribus was really impregnable. Several month the Popes troops couldn't take Queribus. They famished it.

The town of Prades in front of Mt. Canigou. Doesn't seem to become too sunny today ...

Not far from Queribus is a little abbey, nestled in the hills near Narbonne. It was right here, where the troops leading Papal legate Arnaud Amaury was raised.

Before attacking Beziers a soldier asked Amaury how to distinguish between Cathar enimies and Christians. He allegedly replied: "Kill them all. For the Lord knows them that are His."

Beziers was sacked and the massacre was the biggest in the Middle Ages.

Nice place today, the Abbey.

Ok, today there was not much riding. And no riding pics. Instead I got to know Nada. She was having bike lessons and stayed in the same place as I did. With her instructor ... Honi soit qui mal y pense

I'm riding back along the coastline, this time east of Marseilles. (Still waiting for the white HP2 ...) On a hill above the sea two boys are showing interest in my camera gear. They play around with it and one of them askes me how he can a picture.

Well, not that easy for smokers

Now this is Cassis. Cassis is the origin of the Route des Crêtes. Absolutely fantastic riding and scenery.

There we go ....

I've spent a lot of time on that road (back and forth, you know) and ...

... I've found a brilliant place for a nice picture. Unfortunately there's a small parking space and a n italian mobile home is parked there. Right in the way where I'd like to take the picture. I keep on telling me "they'll move, they'll move". But they don't

The sun has set, the f'n mobile home is still there. All over sudden, somebody opens the door. Obvisously the driver. He has a glass of red wine in his hands: "This is for you. And you must be hungry. Wouldn't you like to come in and join us for dinner?"

What shall I say? It was a great evening inside the mobile home.
I'll take the bloody picture tomorrow

kimangao screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 10:53 PM
Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #86
GSGIRL
Neither here nor there

Oddometer: 5,052
Great Stuff!!!!!!

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.

SmugMug Coupon: guwbixLxjaoTI
Save $5! I did!
GSGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #87
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia Stuurman View Post
This is great! The photo's, the whole idea of riding around the Meditarranean, and the observations you make.
I loved the parallels, by the way!
Dank je wel Sylvia :-)
Old 10-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #88
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGIRL View Post
PS: I have also ridden a few more places since Africa

Hijack off.

Thank you again Dirk for your wonderful perspective!
My pleasure

Dirk
Old 10-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #89
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Mates, I have to thank you all for your kind comments. Like I've tried to say to Kiwi Dave: Inspiration and motivation works for me vice-versa. So again, thank you, merci, efcharisto, danke ...

Cheers

Dirk
Old 10-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #90
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

It is a bit of a hangover that wakes me up next morning. Farzin (iranian) and his wife Simona (italian) have fuddled me properly. The kids (iralian or itanian) insist on a "cool" picture before setting off. And I swear I'll never say a bad word about motor homes anymore.

The Itanians have left the place and I'm still there admiring that incredible coastline.

... and I finally get the picture I've wanted 12hours ago

The Route des Crêtes winds on top of that red cliff for decent 15kms

Natural harbour design.

I turn inland to one of the most spectacular places in France. Les Gorges du Verdon, the Verdon Canyon. On the way I pass several of these mobile-home parkings. I'm happy that it is still March and all of them remain in their position. Once they're unleashed proper riding becomes a nightmare in some spots. I'm not sure if I can keep the promise I made to Farzin and Simona ... oh, I'm sure I can't

Closer to the canyon the villages turn out to be as beautiful as you would expect them to be in a holiday catalogue.

There are two roads follwing the canyon. Whichever I take: This is one of the places where I can't decide: Ride or take a pic. Most time I do both enjoying a good road twice.

I've made this one a bit larger. And yes, there's a bike in the picture.

The Verdon leaves the canyon into magnificent Lac de Sainte Croix. On the shore of the lake a friend of a friend runs a little restaurant, Bernhard. He's just arrived with his ancient 2CV from picking fresh herbs in the nearby forest.

Bernhards restaurant is so small that the kitchen offers space for max 2 persons to work. And for his guests, well there's no space at all inside. So everyone sits outside on a little terrace admiring the splendid scenery.

Almost ready to be eaten ... Bernhard has been working as a cook in a pub for ages. A few years ago he realised his dream of his own restaurant at Lac de Sainte Croix. I want to know if he has ever regretted. he replies with a big grin: "Man, don't you see? I live in paradise!" How many can claim that?

Ok, lunchtime!

Not to be misunderstood: This is not a RRR (RestaurantRideReport) But somehow I have to waste my time waiting for the other bike. Can't take long ....

kimangao screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 03:42 PM