User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #226
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Question Last minute camping?

I have wanted to join the D2D for three years but I never know if I could go until the last minute, or the day before...

So, that said, if I can make it and show up with my tiny tent and bag, how difficult will it be to find a place sleep in or near Dawson?
I don't need to be in town and if sleeping beside the road is OK in Canada I am fine with that.
I just don't want to find I have to ride a long ways away to sleep.
I have faced the "campground full" and "campground closed" too often.
(that was in a motorhome though... hard to "hide")

If things work out perfectly (hah!) I would be able to overnight at Toke, at the recommended bike camp and then on to Dawson with all the other campers.
More likely I will have to make the one day dash though.
I haven't added my name to the sign up list because the chances are so slim I can actually go.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #227
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
They do their best at the GoldRush Campsite in Dawson to allow as many as possible to jam themselves in the site. We usually have 3 or 4 people more than we pay for, it's just an unwritten rule that the overall cost gets split by the number of people who use each site. It's a small price to pay for a camp spot in town. I've been twice and have always found everyone to be great this way....well almost all.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #228
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
They do their best at the GoldRush Campsite in Dawson to allow as many as possible to jam themselves in the site. We usually have 3 or 4 people more than we pay for, it's just an unwritten rule that the overall cost gets split by the number of people who use each site. It's a small price to pay for a camp spot in town. I've been twice and have always found everyone to be great this way....well almost all.

Yep, that's generally been my experience as well at the Goldrush. If you don't have a spot and can camp light, just walk around and ask folks if they've got room in the spot for another tent. Another option is a Parks Canada (their national park service equivalent) campground out across from the Dawson airport a few miles out of town. If I recall correctly, the campsite doesn't take advance reservations - you show up and fill in an envelope with a deposit. Last year it was less than half full the day before D2D. Not a bad place, more shade and more pliable ground than the Goldrush - but the bugs were pretty fierce last year.

'82 XV750, '82 GL500, '02 DR650, '07 XT225
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #229
Yukoner2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Last minute camping

When I showed up last year with no reservations , the Government campgroud across the river was 3/4's empty. I set up my tent, and then went into town, at that point I decided my tent was not looking too good due to the weather, +30c or so. I checked out a couple places and ended up in Hotel rooms for 5 days. The gov't campground has no facitilties, just a piece of ground and a fire pit and comunal out-houses. At least the ferry back and forth across the river is free.
Yukoner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #230
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Yep, MOST folks anyway. Anybody meet the German moto-journalist last year who pitched his tent at my spot?!? Man, he was less than cooperative about splitting any cost. I've know, and housed, a lot of German travelers over the years but this guy didn't wanna contribute even while he was packing up his gear and getting ready to leave after a couple days stay. Very strange. I was tempted to find out what magazine he was writing for and let them know he wasn't being a very good representative of them or the sport.

Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #231
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,724
I was thatguy who showed up my first year and was allowed to share a spot.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #232
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
im from Wasilla ,but riding up from colorado springs this year . ill be coming up a little early to check on my house and see some friends and ride back down to you all ..
wayne_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #233
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,543
We'll have another Pre2D BBQ at the barn here. Date to be sorted yet. Still have a completely iced driveway and some seriously slick spots on the way up the alps. It'll be gone in a couple weeks though I hope.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #234
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,456
D2D noob, how does one make arrangements to share camp spots? Just show up and ask nice?
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #235
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I would strongly suggest calling the Goldrush campsite in Dawson City and booking one for yourself, if you can. But if they are all gone already....then yes it's a ask nicely and offer to pay your share......it will more than likely work in your favor over just begging for a spot and not offering up front.
Yes I sound a bit bitter but most will allow you to squeeze in if they have room for another tent.

It is the best location as you are directly in town and can walk to all locations over having to ride into town and leave your bike and then risk riding if you have visited the local establishments to wet your whistle.

Good luck and enjoy the event, it's worth the price of admission.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #236
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,456
Thanks, sounds like a much more friendly environment than other events I've attempted to attend. I actually got chewed out for suggesting sharing camp sites for an East-Coast event. Kinda put me off events, honestly.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #237
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Thanks, sounds like a much more friendly environment than other events I've attempted to attend. I actually got chewed out for suggesting sharing camp sites for an East-Coast event. Kinda put me off events, honestly.
I'm of the opinion that D2D is just another ride, Having BTDT 3 times now its really nothing more than a bunch of guys from the great state of Alaska riding the TOW to Dawson, with some riders that actually plan and make the trip from the lower 48, and a few that just happen to be riding thru at the time from other countries, or the lower 48, me included.
That said, I'll chime in on my thoughts, Most I met were self absorbed a-holes with the attitude "Hey look at me I just rode to D2D" with arms folded standing on the deck at the Downtown hotel, Sure there's some great people to meet, and I've met a few<, but don't let D2D distract you from the RIDE, Thats what counts.
YMMV
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #238
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Well it was started by a bunch of guys from Alaska hence the reason for an Alaskan contingent.
I have been three times myself and enjoy every year. Get to meet a lot for travelers who I usually run into again back home. I generally pass my info along so that travelers know they have help if ever needed. Also get to put faces to screen names on here. It’s also a gathering of folks who have the same interests and desires. I did see that last year more people showed up expecting a true rally which D2D is not. That being said those for me were the ones that seemed to have an attitude.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #239
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
Well leave was approved today, D2D or bust.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #240
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Well leave was approved today, D2D or bust.
You'll be fine, don't take the sign on the upper deck too seriously, I actually saw a guy with a Dodge van that trailered his BMW GS up to D2D from the lower 48, More than a few times
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote