Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #256
GRIZ
COMMANDANT

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
I'm of the opinion that D2D is just another ride, Having BTDT 3 times now its really nothing more than a bunch of guys from the great state of Alaska riding the TOW to Dawson, with some riders that actually plan and make the trip from the lower 48, and a few that just happen to be riding thru at the time from other countries, or the lower 48, me included.
That said, I'll chime in on my thoughts, Most I met were self absorbed a-holes with the attitude "Hey look at me I just rode to D2D" with arms folded standing on the deck at the Downtown hotel, Sure there's some great people to meet, and I've met a few<, but don't let D2D distract you from the RIDE, Thats what counts.
YMMV
STAY HOME THEN!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #257
Katoomer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,476
I don't post much (so pardon my additional editorial space requirements), I'm not the founder of D2D, nor was I part of the first few travelers from Alaska which traveled on the "over the top HOP" in early 90's. I did, however, originate the thread which brought attention (fame?), and publicized what a great RIDE D2D is (circa 2002). Response was so good they gave us our own REGION...no longer just a thread in the Northwest.

Many of us travel from Alaska expending significant front end effort on SWAG-gathering and using every minute of leave/vacation available to us to attend this convergence of like-minded friends and adventurous souls.

I couldn't attend last year due to work so I missed all the fun and commaradre. Consolation is that I'm able to see stay in touch by watching posts on this site, a com channel and "connectedness" that was of great comfort while serving/working overseas.. I've been LOL (literally! gut still hurts) with the return of KHuddy and his unique sense of humor......and always grateful to see the humility and helpfulness of this ADV community.

D2D has grown but the 1% "ers" who throw mud-balls in this forum are still 99% of the mark. WRT those who trailered their bike, I echo Ben's and KH comments....they , like me, have LIVED, and have a few miles on our bodys. They are some of my dearest friends, as are some of the young folks who have demonstrated their talents in the events, rides and travels from distant locales.

OH yeah...my leave was just approved too! Happy days...see all you FFs this year! Going back to Fite's singles club for some more gut-wrenching laughs. Great stuff.
Katoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #258
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajeff View Post

This should be interesting........
We have a winner!
CaptUglyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #259
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dick View Post
CaptUglyDan, name sometimes says it all, too bad, was it a bad childhood?
You my friend don't have a toe to stand on.
CaptUglyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #260
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
You my friend don't have a toe to stand on.

Dude this isn't my first rodeo in Dawson so I think will do just fine. I just have to remember to do my drinking in the bar, not the sidewalk.

Secondly The Dick may not have a toe to stand, but he definitely has one in his bar you can lick.

D2D is just a good time to hang with like minded individuals, ride, and enjoy a well catered supper at the end. I echo Griz, if you don't like it, don't go.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #261
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,708
Oh No

I was planning to attend D2D for the 15th time.......But now that I know AH's stand on the boardwalk with thier arms folded I'm not going back. Thanks for the warning pal.

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #262
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905

I'm young minded, just get me drunk with the bar gal.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #263
KHuddy OP
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrider View Post
I was planning to attend D2D for the 15th time.......But now that I know AH's stand on the boardwalk with thier arms folded I'm not going back. Thanks for the warning pal.
They're not all on the boardwalk. Some AHs spend most of the event confined to a room in the Downtown Hotel sellling tickets and other AH accouterments.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #264
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,290

:ymca
Old 04-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #265
JustInconsistent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
D2D is just a good time to hang with like minded individuals, ride, and enjoy a well catered supper at the end.
Indeed! I had a lot of fun last year, but dinner was my favorite part. The food was awesome and so was the company and atmosphere. Seeing that kind of community involvement from the local volunteer fire department says a lot about the rally as well as the kindness of our hosts.

Well, maybe the poker run and some of the scenery on the way was my favorite part.

I got a crap hand though, so it could have been the end of the poker run and the lighthearted hoodlums and the mini obstacle course that stuck with me most. (Don't spare the hose this year!)

Ahhh. . . well. . . . watching a beer in a sock be confiscated (and returned!) by an officer with a polite Canadian accent was a pretty funny highlight too.

But that won't stick with me as well as my favorite part; seeing all the different motorcycles and learning so much about them. . . .

. . . . but the motorcycles wouldn't have been anything without the stories from the folks that brought them. There were some real characters around.

Characters like the rider who rallied his gold wing right up to the top of the dome, making what could have been my favorite moment.

No, it was dinner. Even if I missed everything else I would have been happy with dinner. What an all around great time though. Thanks to everyone who makes D2D what it is..... whatever it is. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #266
JustInconsistent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
I'm young minded, just get me drunk with the bar gal.
Don't forget to get your Sour Toe! Just remember, it's not a toe to stand on.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #267
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,708
whoooooo

Hay Khuddy......I resemble that remark!

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #268
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Sour toe shot is a must for me. I'll have to do it .

Yum

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #269
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,841
Thumbs down

Kevin,

You can leave your tuxedo at home, the wedding is off. It seems word got out, regarding Maggie's plans, and things began to turn sour shortly thereafter.
First off, research revealed that there were no ladders of sufficient capacity to support Maggie's considerable... uh, charms. Even the Dawson City fire department's equipment was deemed inadequate. Therefore, it would have necessitated the use of a crane to lower the blushing (if anything could really cause Maggie to blush ) bride-to-be to the ground from the upper story window.
The local RCMP's, who have obligingly prohibited traffic from the block whereon are located second-story windows, were asked if they could ensure that traffic could also be blocked while the crane, parked on the street in front of the hotel, assisted Maggie in her descent. Barring traffic from adjacent blocks was deemed necessary as well, being that this was a “clothing optional” ceremony and it was wisely agreed that residents needed to be protected from becoming inadvertent eyewitnesses to the event. The officer in charge of the Dawson City detachment, after due consideration (all of 2 seconds worth) decided that this would almost certainly cause gridlock in that community, as well as overtax the available staff, and nixed the whole affair. Not only that, but to preclude Maggie circumventing his ruling and attempting to accomplish her goal without official recognition or permission, contacted Canada Customs and asked that Maggie be denied admission to Canada on the grounds that she could be considered a “weapon of mass obstruction”.
Personally, I can breathe a lot easier now and plans to arrange my own kidnapping sometime between now and D2D have been abandoned.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #270
KHuddy OP
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,608
Jack, You should have had a professional install the propane system in your new place.