Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,400
Unfortunately even the Burg 400 is way bigger and heavier than the Helix. It sure looks like there is room for a 400cc engine in a Helix, especially if you got rid of some of the storage.

I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 750, which I bought new and have put over 70,000 miles on, which feels like a paperweight compared to the Burg 650. Why do maxi scooters have to be so big compared to the size of their engines? The 650cc S40 is a tiny little bike. So is a 1200 Sportster, considering the displacement of it's engine.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #17
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I fail to see any reason why anyone would prefer something like this to, say, a Goldwing. I was considering a maxi scooter because my 1500 Goldwing is hard for me to get on and off of, and make parking lot maneuvers with. I tried the Burgman 650, and it was even harder to deal with than the huge 'Wing. The GW has a very low COG, and is well balanced. You can get both feet on the ground. The Burgman felt very heavy and awkward by comparison. I did find the Helix to be a decent ride, but lacking the power to travel cross country at freeway speeds. Stuffing a 400cc engine in it would solve that problem.
Thats why I got the 400. The 400 doesn't excel at anything, but does everything well. Does that make sense ?
In a world of single purpose bikes, this concept is incomprehensible to a lot of people.
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #18
MotoRandy123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Well it looks like it was getting 50 MPG (my car gets 40!) but 15% should give it 57 not bad. I was just at the dealer yesterday and
was amazed it costs $10000 OTD!

The big problem with scooters is only the tiny ones get good mileage and everyone wants to go on the highway (and have a big
windshield) so you end up with a heavy slow rig that costs too much compared with a "real" motorcycle....
MotoRandy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #19
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,643
In the winter in Florida I ride with a bunch of old guys like me that have the Burgerking 650 and they just love them. A lot of them came off Goldwings and other big bikes. Only problem that they seem to have is keeping rear tires on them.
And they are not slow unless you are comparing them to a sport bike.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #20
Mrnoital
Banned

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Unfortunately even the Burg 400 is way bigger and heavier than the Helix. It sure looks like there is room for a 400cc engine in a Helix, especially if you got rid of some of the storage.
The Burgman 400 produces over twice the HP and is much more competent if you want to do any highway/long distant riding. More powerful bikes need to be built to bigger dimensions in order to handle the increase in engine mass and power.
You'll never get a powerful bike that weighs and handles like a Helix of which I own two. I love the helix but it's not a good all rounder even though I use it for almost everything. It stinks on the highway, It's not that stable to begin with, add a little wind into the equation and forget about it. I avoid the highway whenever it's windy. The Swing 600 scooter I owned was better on the highway but felt like a pig around town. The 400 Burgman I rode for a very short trip seemed like it would be about perfect as an all around two wheeled vehicle.
The Morphous 250 I owned was extremely stable and rode like a Cadillac, much better on the highway compared to the Helix but not enough engine for the weight of the bike.
Mrnoital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #21
Mrnoital
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post

Amazing how many folk just have so much negative thought to contribute.
You make the mistake of implying that positive comments are some how more credible than negative ones.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #22
cbolling OP
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,684
Just bought a 2011 Versys to go along with my Zuma 125.

I think a Maxi scooter would be a great combination of the 2.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #23
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
Just bought a 2011 Versys to go along with my Zuma 125.

I think a Maxi scooter would be a great combination of the 2.
Or an addition to the two???
Old 10-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #24
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrnoital View Post
You make the mistake of implying that positive comments are some how more credible than negative ones.
Having BOTH positive and negative comments makes for a balanced outlook.

Solely negative?

Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #25
Mrnoital
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Having BOTH positive and negative comments makes for a balanced outlook.
The need for balance is an abstract idea. If I say I hate Saddam Hussein, I don't have to balance that by saying he had good taste in suits.
These are machines we are talking about.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #26
MQracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I'll join the choir and sing the praises of the Burgman 400. I have a total of five bikes--- if I were forced somehow (by contempuous gods or something) to pare down to just one bike I'm afraid it would most likely be the Burgman.

I've gone up the NE EXT (turnpike) in PA running 85mph indicated--- for scores of miles at a time. Yet it is a good bike
in an urban setting (Philly). The bike carries it's weight low--- seat height is relatively low--- fuel mileage I'm getting is around 40 mpg in the city and around 62mpg on the highway.

Sometimes I get where I don't like the "cruiser" ergos of the Burgman--- I've ridden for example the BV500 which is a more upright seating position and which I kinda like--- but I wonder if on a long trip the moreso limited ergos would grow old on me--- the Burgman gives you a lot of leeway in how you ride it--- meaning where you put your feet and etc.

Another advantage of the burgman is that I can fit (depending on squeeze factor) somewhere btwn four to six full bags of groceries under the seat.

I love all kinds of motorcycles and scoots--- wish I were in Jay Leno's boat to have one of everything I like.

But for an all around really great two wheeler the Burgman 400 is tough to outdo.

MSL
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1963 SHL M11 Lux

MQracing screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 02:07 PM
MQracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #27
cbolling OP
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Or an addition to the two???
Get me a job where you work and that might be possible.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #28
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQracing View Post
Sometimes I get where I don't like the "cruiser" ergos of the Burgman--- I've ridden for example the BV500 which is a more upright seating position and which I kinda like--- but I wonder if on a long trip the moreso limited ergos would grow old on me--- the Burgman gives you a lot of leeway in how you ride it--- meaning where you put your feet and etc.

Another advantage of the burgman is that I can fit (depending on squeeze factor) somewhere btwn four to six full bags of groceries under the seat.
FWIW, I traded in a Burgman 400 for a BV 500 and couldn't be happier. Everyone's views on the proper ergonomics vary but for me the BV is a much better tourer. I did a 4,400 mile trip on it this summer going from Colorado to Wyoming,South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, across the lake on the Lake Express Ferry, back through Wisconsin & Minnesota to North Dakota, Montana back down to Wyoming before returning to Colorado. I saw Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis, Badlands, Amerivespa, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and a whole bunch of just plain old mountain/hills/sweepers and twisties (yeah, a lot of more or less boring upper plains as well but sometimes you have to take the boring with the fun.) Days ranging from a 100 miles to over 550 miles. The only advantage the Burgman would have had was that with the Burgman I could stow pretty much everything for the trip under the seat. With the BV I needed my Givi topcase and a rollbag but the roolbag doubled as a backrest which I would definitely have needed on the Burgman so it would have gone anyway.

Burgmans are good scooters, they just don't fit me. Isn't it a good thing that there are different styles and ergonomics?
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #29
KennyT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Hi CDwise

Sounds like a great trip! I hope to do similar some day. What a great way to see the country...
Is the BV 500 smaller than the Burgman 400 weight wise? I have only seen pics...
I assumed a bigger bike would be easier out on long trips on the highway, but I may be wrong on the weights of the two...
Ken
Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #30
KennyT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Just checked the weights..

The BV 500 weighs 189kg, and the Burgman 400 weighs 222kg. I guess the Burgman just looks more like a touring bike to my uninformed eyes, while the BV has that classic retro look of a smaller scooter...
Just learning all I can...
Ken