Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #46
ucwinters
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Had a Burgman 400 ('06) - great scooter. Bought a 2012 Burgman 650 Exec back in Oct. Have added a Clearview large windscreen (wish that I had got an XL) and just bought a (used) Russell Daylong saddle w/ backrest which is outstanding. The engine is so smooooooooth in the 650 at highway speeds - I think that it is smoother than my ST1300. I've read a lot of the posts on BurgmanUSA and BurgmanRiders re the tranny problems. I'll be checking the stopper bolt on a regular basis for irregular wear.
Put a Denray hitch on this past week and plan on pulling a Harbor Freight Tagalong trailer for some camping trips.
Love the Burgie 650 so far.
ucwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #47
Bama Gringo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucwinters View Post
Had a Burgman 400 ('06) - great scooter. Bought a 2012 Burgman 650 Exec back in Oct. Have added a Clearview large windscreen (wish that I had got an XL) and just bought a (used) Russell Daylong saddle w/ backrest which is outstanding. The engine is so smooooooooth in the 650 at highway speeds - I think that it is smoother than my ST1300. I've read a lot of the posts on BurgmanUSA and BurgmanRiders re the tranny problems. I'll be checking the stopper bolt on a regular basis for irregular wear.
Put a Denray hitch on this past week and plan on pulling a Harbor Freight Tagalong trailer for some camping trips.
Love the Burgie 650 so far.
yes theres been several reports of early trans failure on the burgman 650. that's what scared me away, so I sold my 2007. then I realized I was worried about something that rarely happens. I know of folks with over 50k and no issues whatsoever. those trans are complex. so 'IF' it breaks , its expensive to fix. but Iv never kept a bike over 40k miles anyway. so im sure ill be traded on to something else by then anyway, LOL. oh I forgot, Suzuki did make a change to the cvt cylinder where the stopper bolt intrudes. supposed to be stronger and more recessed. that was in 2011. iv heard of 0 failures since then.
Bama Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #48
DandM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by los gringo View Post
yes theres been several reports of early trans failure on the burgman 650. that's what scared me away, so I sold my 2007. then I realized I was worried about something that rarely happens. I know of folks with over 50k and no issues whatsoever. those trans are complex. so 'IF' it breaks , its expensive to fix. but Iv never kept a bike over 40k miles anyway. so im sure ill be traded on to something else by then anyway, LOL. oh I forgot, Suzuki did make a change to the cvt cylinder where the stopper bolt intrudes. supposed to be stronger and more recessed. that was in 2011. iv heard of 0 failures since then.
I just bought a 2012 650 Burg to join the wifester who has a 2008 400 Burg. Got a great deal on the 2012. It's a known product, familiar to many riders, Some have offered to show me how to service it. I'm not concerned about the transmission. This will be traded in well before the 50,000 mile expected implosion date. No price quote or even arrival date for the 2013 650 could be given to me by the dealer. Easy decision: get me a white 2012. Great ride!
DandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #49
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
Well I think honda has your answer (some what) with the Silver wing, something similar but different. The GW cost $24 K the Burgman around $10 K (for 2012 model) Also you have a 6 cylinder bike vs 2? some people like it on automatic and don't need an air bag.

I like that both models are available and would like to have either (more in favor of the 650 than the huge GW, maybe my wife would choose different)

About this new model, I think I need to take a big look that way, maybe a bit out of my price range but will like to read on the long term reviews on these machines!

Damasovi
To get ABS, MSRP of the GW is $28,100. Yeesh, a bit steep, I'd go with a Victory Cross Country Tour, MSRP $22,499 ABS, heated seat and grips, better storage and lower seat.

As far as a scoot, the new Burgman looks nice but doesn't the top box shown look like a Givi with a Suzuki logo on it?
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #50
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
2002 Sporster 883 (traded for Zed)
1984 Honda V45 Sabre (sold and missed)
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote