Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #1
trabbart OP
hellrider

Oddometer: 46
moved shifter, now jumps out of second

this is wat happend,
bought bike, did a runtest , did run perfect in all gears, but clutch slipped in high gear and when pulling hard.

replaced clutch and spring, replaced coils , cables and sparkplugs, adjust the valve clearance.

i also moved the shifter linkage to the passenger feetrests, witch is higer, i used a home build stainless steel link , original link (bol) at gearbox

the bike feels way more stronger and faster after the upgrades, it does not slip . but it jumps sometimes out of second gear,, 2 on 3 times,,,mostly when i ride it like i stole it :)

the linkage is comming from slightly higer, could this be the reason it suddenly jumps, or is it because it has more power after the upgrade and new clutch??? clutch has play at handlever and at back of gearbox lever. both can be moved by hand a littkle more than 2MM i did checked play more than once and adjusted them after a few testruns when clutch has seated.

they ask 500 euro's for trading my gearbox,,only 3 months guarantee,,,,they didnt even mentioned wat was rebuild in that trade gearbox,,it could be as old as mine,,,,
trabbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,090
Restore the shifter to it's original configuration.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,568
Preload the shifter before pulling the clutch.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,327
I think 2nd gear takes a bit more travel to shift. Make sure your shifter and any other parts of the linkage aren't bottoming on something before you're all the way in gear. Failing that, maybe the dogs on the gear are worn which would cause it to pop out of gear under load.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,276
I would suggest the idea of restoring the shifter to it's original position at this point would be the best diagnostic plan.

There may be more than two reasons for this symptom but two come to mind right off. The dogs on the gears get worn and when they do the gear won't stay hooked up but the dogs unhook. Only solution for this is a new gear, in the transmission.

Operating the shifter moves forks inside the trans that then move the gears. This operation involves a certain amount of movement. The gear must be fully engaged to normally stay in gear. If only half engaged the trans will fall out of gear. In addition to the bother and trauma upon the rider at the time of this happening this will cause accelerated wear of the gears. If your modification of the shifting linkage does not provide sufficient movement of the shfter it will cause the problem you describes.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,101
no idea what bike, but could the selector pawl or whatever the kettenrad inside there be worn as well? The updated version of the thing-whose-technical-name-i-cant-recall has better detents so it doesnt have the propensity to fall out of 2nd so much.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
trabbart OP
hellrider

Oddometer: 46
just had to install a new starter,,, i also made a new stronger link. if that dont work i put the stock feetrest and link back on ,,,i can testdrive this weekend.

its a 1980 r100rs,,,,
trabbart is offline   Reply With Quote