User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Shawnee Bill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,922
Rear Wheel Speed sensor replacement

Well, the bearings went out in my rear wheel. Fixed that fairly easy but with the bearing out the rear wheel moved over and screwed up the rear wheel speed sensor pickup so I bought a new one.

Problem is how to replace it. The wire goes from the mount by the rear wheel and disappears into the deep dark center of the bike. I can't figure out how to get in there. It seems to end up somewhere under where the seat lock is.

I would really appreciate some advice, hints, clues as to how to get in there.

Thanks in advance!

I'm considering just cutting and splicing the new pickup onto the old cable.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
Bill, hopefully someone'll chime in soon on how to do it. .....but I would caution you on cutting and splicing. I don't think it's quite that simple with an inductance-type pick up. I'm not saying it *can't* be spliced but, you'll probably have to splice the shielding as well. I've had to do it many times in aviation applications and it can be a PITA if you're not careful.

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Shawnee Bill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJ View Post
Bill, hopefully someone'll chime in soon on how to do it. .....but I would caution you on cutting and splicing. I don't think it's quite that simple with an inductance-type pick up. I'm not saying it *can't* be spliced but, you'll probably have to splice the shielding as well. I've had to do it many times in aviation applications and it can be a PITA if you're not careful.

Thanks for bringing that up, I'll think about that. I do have some experience splicing shielded cables. If I can't find some hints somewhere I will cut the old one and see what's inside the wire.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Shawnee Bill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Thanks for bringing that up, I'll think about that. I do have some experience splicing shielded cables. If I can't find some hints somewhere I will cut the old one and see what's inside the wire.

Figured it out. Looking at the top shock bolt thread I found how to get the cover off of that and discovered the wheel speed sensor plugin is anchored on that cover so from there it was easy to replace.
On a side note my turn signal auto cancel had stopped working when the rear speed sensor was messed up. Replacing that not only fixed the ABS (expected) but the turn signals again auto cancel.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Old 10-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Figured it out. Looking at the top shock bolt thread I found how to get the cover off of that and discovered the wheel speed sensor plugin is anchored on that cover so from there it was easy to replace.
On a side note my turn signal auto cancel had stopped working when the rear speed sensor was messed up. Replacing that not only fixed the ABS (expected) but the turn signals again auto cancel.

it recognizes changes in speed thus knowing when to cancel your signals... i.e. after accelerating from a stop light turn
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,216
Isnt the auto cancel based on distance and adjustable via access to the bikes computer?
It would use the speed sensor for a distance measure, no?
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote