Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
I think, if there is any real chance of seeing a better Japanese mid sized world touring enduro, it'll have to come from Yamaha. They are the only maker that has shown any real interest in the adv touring market as of late and the already have a decent power plant in the FZ8. Really, a redesigned 800cc twin is what is needed.
At Intermot, Yamaha unveiled an all-new triple engine, apparently to power a range of bikes. Estimates are 750-900cc.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
At Intermot, Yamaha unveiled an all-new triple engine, apparently to power a range of bikes. Estimates are 750-900cc.
Go Yamaha.!

Could you imagine if they delivered a long travel 800cc ADV bike w/100+ hp, good low end torque, FI, 19"/17" spoked tubeless wheels at 480lbs (dreaming 450lbs) wet, switchable abs, with a price tag of around $10-11,000!!!

Oh so happy I could be in an s10 "mini me"!

I'd sell my Strom & ride that bike to the Earth's ends! I could imagine an Arfica twin owner admiring me bike as opposed to me ogling his
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
Milko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I had around 10 years on my XL600VH "88. A capable and forgiving bike that got me into and out of plenty of adventures. Thanks for the memories Trannie!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #19
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,303
Anyone familiar with the Crosstourer (VFR1200)? Today is the first time I had heard about them.

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
PiJiL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
It would appear that 'ADVENTURE BIKES' are taking the SUV route...

Their popularity is exceeding that of road bikes, despite 95% of the 'ADVENTURE' riding being on sealed roads....

So the manufacturers are making "SUV" Adventure bikes that meet the expectations of comfortable road bikes that have dirt road ability at the expense of rough road, dirt track hard core adventure bikes we all want.....
Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #21
PiJiL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Anyone familiar with the Crosstourer (VFR1200)? Today is the first time I had heard about them.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=crosstourer
Old 10-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #22
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiJiL View Post
It would appear that 'ADVENTURE BIKES' are taking the SUV route...

Their popularity is exceeding that of road bikes, despite 95% of the 'ADVENTURE' riding being on sealed roads....

So the manufacturers are making "SUV" Adventure bikes that meet the expectations of comfortable road bikes that have dirt road ability at the expense of rough road, dirt track hard core adventure bikes we all want.....
I have a few thoughts on that one ( surprise! )

Most people get to ride around the block a bit when it is time to make a buying decision. The bikes that feel best there will probably get the sale.

There is a history going on twenty years that a better bike is a faster bike. (except with cruisers, which are judged on total chrome mass)

The original Vee was a modified SV (basically) same steering geometry, detuned (again) motor, similar frame but with bigger front wheel and heavier bits up high which had its effects. Made it feel heavier than it was.

This new version looks like more of an attempt at "starting from scratch" so the only thing that may be making it more street than dirt is a general Suzuki philosophy of "sporty" design and the fact that they may want to stick with what works on a typical test ride. No one really knows about the details of this bike except for Suzuki being Suzuki.

In the beginning....

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php...ic=6065.5;wap2

Quote:
Still, Suzuki HQ saw things differently. They argued that they were burned from the DR 750 experience, and that Suzuki's competency is based in the sport segment. After several years of struggle with the persistent Poensgen, they finally agreed something with the German HQ - which meanwhile was the European HQ.

The plan said they would take orientation on R 11xx GS with sizes, ergos, etc., but do something significant sportier, in order to stay aligned with the brand image. It had to be a motorcycle with around 1000 cc and two cylinders. The goal was: be better, be lighter, and to be sportier and younger than the 1150 GS (with its senior image).
It seems to me that many people are getting back to a "1 bike many tasks" position, as it was before everyone was convinced that they had to have 6 "best of breed" bikes in the shed.

There are way more people, depending on the country, that just want to ride to wherever on a road and roads are not always good. Like it used to be 30 years ago with the "UJM"

And those that road 30 years ago in their youth seem to be the ones who are doing the buying of these things.

There are bikes available for the more hardcore off road types if they want. That has been covered for years.

A 600cc single is not a slow bike, but may not be comfortable on huge trips. You makes your choices.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 03:29 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #23
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
There is a history going on twenty years that a better bike is a faster bike. (except with cruisers, which are judged on total chrome mass)
LOL!

And RIP Transalp... I never owned one but have spilt a considerable amount of drool thinking of doing so.
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #24
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
It seems to me that many people are getting back to a "1 bike many tasks" position, as it was before everyone was convinced that they had to have 6 "best of breed" bikes in the shed.

There are way more people, depending on the country, that just want to ride to wherever on a road and roads are not always good. Like it used to be 30 years ago with the "UJM"

And those that road 30 years ago in their youth seem to be the ones who are doing the buying of these things.

There are bikes available for the more hardcore off road types if they want. That has been covered for years.

A 600cc single is not a slow bike, but may not be comfortable on huge trips. You makes your choices.
Yup.

Well put.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #25
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Well.. I'm close... 4 bikes in the shed...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #26
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
It was actually the XL650V model, Cug, which brought the Transalp's bullet proof reputation down. The 1997-1999 model was very, very popular (the last 600). The 650 version was no more, no less than an Honda Deauville 650 on hiking boots.
Not sure about that. I have had a '99 600 and 2006 650 as well as a 650 Africa Twin. I rode all three off-road; the 600 Alp in the Cambrian Rally, the 650 Alp in the Stella Alpina and the AT in the Dolomites. Hard to say what order to place them although the AT's suspension probably gave it the edge.

Overall, IMO the 650 Alp was the best of them; compared to the 600, it has a bigger fuel tank, better air intake location, cleaner coolant hose routing and a bit more torque. Mine was a lot more economical than the Africa Twin although still a bit too thirsty for the engine size. The motor also felt a bit rougher than the 600. Mine was 100% reliable apart from the speedo drive, which is a known Alp weakness.

On the other hand, the 600 does feel a bit more robust.

The 650's only real demerit IMO was the use of aluminium castings for the footpeg hangers and the fitment of rubber-topped footpegs, which I replaced with steel off-road pegs from (IIRC) a Suzuki RM 125.

The 700 Transalp, with 19" front wheel and reduced suspension travel, was the model that let the series down.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #27
SemperMo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I'm guessing Honda sees this as the replacement:

NC700X

-SM

Available with or without clutch lever

Plus it has a whopping 51 horsepower.
SemperMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #28
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
I'm in

I currently own a 90 US Transalp and have two other 89 US Alps great bikes. It was a shame Honda stoped the Alp in the US and never brought the Afrcia Twin. I don't want a big over 800cc Transalp / Africa twin adv type bike.

That being said if this rally type Honda shows up for real in the US and is legit as a dual sport I'm all in. Yes please daddy likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Well... According to Honda, they will reveal a road-legal version of their expected Paris-Dakar rally racer next spring:

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #29
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
This is killing me....

I have an XRL and love the bike, but want better long distance capability. I classify that as not just better mpg's or capacity, but also comfort. I have done a couple of 400 km days, and this is by far the longest I would want to ride on my L. I will be getting a new bike in the spring, and am looking at the KTM 990adv (if I can find one. No 2013 models for NA), and the Tiger 800XC. If Honda brought a 800ish adventure bike to the market I would absolutely buy one. Although I want a more comfortable bike, I am torn because I also want a stone reliable bike. Especially if I am gonna drop upwards of 17K on it. I can't afford more than one bike, and buying one that is gonna be bitchy isn't my idea of a good time.

Come on Honda, show the world you can still build world class products.
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #30
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I seem to remember inmates complaining about the newest gen Transalp as being under powered and over weight.. Now that's it's being retired, some will miss it. ... What Honda needs is a real Africa Twin replacement. But then again, how many buyers buy the bike to actually ride it around the world or gnarly off road....

That would be so great... same 23l tank but with better mileage and with about 15kg less... that would seal the deal for me :o)
But since we're talking about the old Transalp... you'll be missed. it will always stay my first choice for a round the world trip.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote