User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,522
What now? Sputtering, stalling

I had planned to take a week off to go from Denver to Hutchinson, Kansas, for an annual Heavy Duty Truck and RV Rally. I didn't make it.

My 950 started doing "it" again.

2006 950S
Emissions crap removed
Flaperectomy
Mikuni vacuum pump
Head2Wind prefilter
Jets

Other than that the engine is stock.

I'd encountered this before. First time was on the way back from FMF June of 2011. It's like it ran out of power. I was climbing Kenosha Pass eastbound with wifey and full bike of camping gear. I made it home and after searching on here I found it was likely my ignition switch.

I cleaned it and put more dialectric grease on it. It did it again this summer after heading to my parents 45 min away. I cleaned it again and it seemed to be fixed. Until I was halfway from Denver to Kansas.

Anyway, you don't need a play by play on when it happened this trip so I'll just tell you the symptoms and what I've done so far.

*Valves checked and shimmed, oil changed, spark plugs replaced 300 miles before trip
*New battery last year
*Cleaned ignition switch multiple times on trip
*Removed and checked Mikuni vacuum pump for oil from crank breather tube. No oil found. Fuel side is clean, also.

What's happening:

*Starts and runs fine in neutral, through all RPM ranges.
*Was running great for the first couple hours. I'd be going along at 70 mph with the throttle holding and my speed would just start dropping slowly. This is on the flats. Giving it more throttle would almost flood it. It would sputter, then if given too much throttle it would die. If I kept off the throttle and got into neutral it would drop to idle and be just fine. If it died it would restart. Then a few miles down the road it would happen again.

It wasn't hot. It was 28* when I left Sunday morning. Warmed up to maybe 40* by the time I tore the vacuum pump and switch apart on the side of Hwy 83 sixteen miles south of Oakley, KS. Yes, I made the tough decision to backtrack the sixteen miles to Oakley. Of course, it ran fine those sixteen miles. I got a hotel room and called the wife to pick me up. I just couldn't risk it.

I, stupidly, didn't have a multi-meter with me. So, I'll check the battery today. I don't want to jump to conclusions so I thought I'd post up my problem here.

Thanks guys.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
DakarNick OP
Swabee

No one even has an idea? This hasn't happened to you? I may actually have time to work on it today.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Is your clutch slipping? I was on a trip recently and had this happen:

Bike would seem to hesitate delivery of power when shifting to higher gears. As I made my way the bike was running fine, but eventually I began losing power to the point where the bike was revving in every gear but no forward power being genrated. I had totally cooked my clutch pack. I failed to equate the power delivery loss with clutch slippage and thought instead it was a carburation issue. So I kept riding it.

Is it possible you are getting some clutch drag, heating up the disks enough to get to the point of slipping lots, but then you stop, they cool and recover enough to get going again, but once you have been under way for some time you start experiencing the power loss?

Just a thought. I ended up having a leaking master and a hung up backer that contributed to total failure, which happened on the Northway in upsate New York just a few miles from Lake Champlain, at around 9 PM. Goodtimes.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,868
NIck - I would highly suspect the fuel pump. I have had almost the same symptoms and it was the pump. Geek had a thread that went on for pages as he tried different solutions, insisting that it couldn't be the pump. He finally switched his pump and the problems went away. It's an easy solution.

Dave
Old 10-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
NIck - I would highly suspect the fuel pump. I have had almost the same symptoms and it was the pump. Geek had a thread that went on for pages as he tried different solutions, insisting that it couldn't be the pump. He finally switched his pump and the problems went away. It's an easy solution.

Dave
Or this. However, when I had fuel pump problems, the bike would just die intermittently. But you said you have a mikuni installed? I have only run the OEM mitsubishi pump and am on my third one so I am not sure what happens when the mikuni starts to fail. When my pump was gone, the bike wouldn't run at all.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
DakarNick OP
Swabee

I have the bike apart now. Relocating the Mikuni and pulling vacuum off the rear cylinder instead of the crankcase vent.

I'll check the clutch, too.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
DakarNick OP
Swabee

I pulled everything to the cylinders. I had to pull it all to unscrew the barb fitting on the rear cyclinder vacuum port.

I'm going to relocate the Mikuni at the airbox and nix the crankcase breather for vacuum signal.

I also pulled the clutch pack out. Before I look at everything more in depth, how important is it to put it back as I found it? It IS exactly how I pulled it, but are the clutch disks all the same? Do the teeth need to line up in a specific spot?

And what do I look for? Burning, hot spots?

EastsideSM, that does sound like what it's doing. However, it would die while riding after I tried to give it throttle. I never smelled or felt anything like the clutch but who knows.

Dave, I'm running the Mikuni so symptoms may be different than the electric.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Joe
Debaser

Oddometer: 1,715
Fuel filter blockage?

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Fuel filter blockage?
I'll be checking both tank lines, petcock, and inline fuel filter this weekend.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,495
I would check the fuel pressure/delivery of the pump. You should see about 1.5-2.5PSI sustained. Much more than 2.5 PSI and the float needles have a hard time holding. If you still have a OEM pump, I would consider reinstalling it to run the engine with the Mikuni still installed but not connected to the carbs to check static pressure and then open flow over time.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
I forgot you had said you were running the vacuum FP but the symptoms sure sound the same. It just sounds like an intermittent fuel starvation issue.

Dave
Old 10-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
DakarNick OP
Swabee

I don't have a stock electric pump anymore. I ordered another Mikuni and seal kit. I'll install that and tee in the old one to check it's pressure.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Clutch...

yes the clutch needs to be installed as it came out

look in your engine parts catalog that came with your bike... if you don't have it find one online

The inner & outermost friction discs are different than those in the rest of the clutch pack.

also pay attention to the inner spring disc & the cover plate for it. you don't want to get it wrong,

Sounds like you have fueling issues- could be pump, could be venting (of tanks or carbs)
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave
Nick - I would highly suspect the fuel pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick
When were you there? I had planned to stop by there on my trip from Denver to Hutchinson, KS, but my fuel pump shit the bed and only made it to Oakley.
So it turned out to be the fuel pump after all . First time I've heard of a Mikuni going bad.

Dave
Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
So it turned out to be the fuel pump after all . First time I've heard of a Mikuni going bad.

Dave
Wellllllll.... I don't know for sure. I'm blaming the pump for now. I have a new one on order so I'll test the old one.

If that isn't it then I'm back to square one. However, I am relocating the pump to the airbox for easier access and pulling a vacuum signal off the rear cylinder instead of the crankcase breather.