Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #91
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
On a bike that sees street and off road use I can see the value of flares. They can be a great fire starter, distress signal, and road marker if you're broken down on the side of the road. There are worse things, less effective things, you can carry in a pannier than a road flare.
There are highway flares and distress flares. The latter is what was suggested. It sends up a burning ball of material which can easily come down while still alight. It would act as an incendiary device for any woodsy area you happened to be in.

I didn't want to comment after the fellow posted this suggestion, but honestly, anybody who would send up such a flare in the Lincoln National Forest deserves to have this flare shot down his throat.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #92
Apertureguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
I agree...nice write up.

Next time a little less adventure...without taking more precautions.
Apertureguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #93
Vagabond_Explorer
Relax_Unwind_Chill

Oddometer: 131
The other thing you could do is to install a WARN Winch on your R1200GS. This is the second bike I have seen with a winch installed, to help drag it upright, or backwards or just to help another stuck bike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-R...item27cbdaa4b1

The winch in the above link is installed on the rear carry rack - however I have seen another BMW in the Outback with a WARN winch on the front that swivels so it can pull in many directions. However they're heavy (but light compared the overall Beemer package).

Personally, I'd just ride a smaller dual purpose bike - but a winch will help you pick up the bike when it falls over on dirt tracks especially if there are boulders or trees around to hitch to.
Vagabond_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #94
Snarky OP
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
There are highway flares and distress flares. The latter is what was suggested. It sends up a burning ball of material which can easily come down while still alight. It would act as an incendiary device for any woodsy area you happened to be in.

I didn't want to comment after the fellow posted this suggestion, but honestly, anybody who would send up such a flare in the Lincoln National Forest deserves to have this flare shot down his throat.
LOL whooosh!

As for the winching, the warn winch on my truck is the only way I got the bike back up by myself with blown muscles in soft dirt. I couldnt power a winch on my bike with the lighter LiFe battery.

A should have beeb carrying a racher strap. That alone could have helped. A come along would be cool, but they are bulky.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #95
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
LOL whooosh!

As for the winching, the warn winch on my truck is the only way I got the bike back up by myself with blown muscles in soft dirt. I couldnt power a winch on my bike with the lighter LiFe battery.

A should have beeb carrying a racher strap. That alone could have helped. A come along would be cool, but they are bulky.
You could carry a set up like this. I made my own from rope around the house and 2 beaners, went to rei for the plastic pullies and flat nylon strap. It worked even with no trees!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #96
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
LOL whooosh!

Consider one of the micro sized block and tackles. I've got one, don't remember where from. Rated for 600 or 1000 lbs, with probably a hundred feet of parachute line on it. Weighs maybe a pound at the most, and would fit into a pants pocket.
foxtrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #97
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 798
Wow great write up and I'm glad your story ended as well as it did.
It's crazy how quickly things can go wrong... I really like doing these types of rides with a partner.
PMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #98
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post

Absolutely, and I was trying to make that distinction. Some people were saying aerial and others were not. There is a reason a lot of water craft have aerial (signal) flares and a reason a lot of people who are over the road travelers have flares. Having flares on a motorcycle is not a bad idea. Shooting off an aerial (signal) flare in the woods might be.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #99
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
An interesting thread with a lot of good observations.

Just one question to the OP, when you left the bike with the GPS switched on so that you could spot it in the dark, why didn't you just make the bike as a waypoint and take the GPS with you so that you could find your way back to it?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #100
muskieken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
wow
what an adventure.
glad your alive to share it .
thanks for posting it.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #101
S8W7
Libertarian

Oddometer: 68
Eek

Great writeup.

Look, I love all of you guys (and gals), and because of that it really hurts to see you suffering so much. Every crash should be a serious learning experience, but it can only be that if you understand truly why you put her down. Here's some help.

Keith Code's A Twist of the Wrist (on-road riding): https://secure.echoalley.com/atwistofthewrist/
Shane Watts' Dirtwise DVDs (off-road riding): http://www.shanewatts.com/product/dv...se-shane-watts

Both can be found for free online if you know where to look, so there's no excuse. PM me and I can share my personal copies.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #102
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
You realize that you were one bit of bad luck away from death there right ?.

If you'd got a leg stuck underneath the bike .... game over, yeah, people looking, but odds are they'd have been stopped by the first obstacle and turned back. "No way he'd have gone up there"

The really scary thing about this was the long chain of bad calls - poor judgement can be deadly on a bike, same with courage.

I am impressed you walked out, and even more impressed you had the balls to post.

I'll admit, I do ride solo, and I do hit the dirt now and then but ... I save being brave for when I have company to show off to. Riding alone, I'm very "not brave".

A few tips, most of which were I think covered by other posters.

Avoid low traffic tracks (you can tell by the lack of scuffs on the ground and the growth on the riding line) - just remember it for when you do have company.

If you got in that way, you can almost certainly get back out that way - and turn back EARLY - first sign of trouble turn back - that usually means it is possible to go back the way you came.

Always carry water. I figure you got that one already . Being hungry takes a couple of days to fuck you over, lack of water, hours. You lose strength and your judgement goes to hell.

Wear boots you can walk in. Another one I think you learned.

If you leave the bike, try and leave a note with it or a clear direction marker - arrow laid out with rocks will help - the bike is more likely to be found than you are (The bike isn't wandering around in the woods, bumping into trees).

I carry some seat belt webbing with a couple of D rings sewn in one end (like a helmet strap), makes picking a bike up LOT easier solo and more important a lot less tiring. About the size of a ciggy packet rolled up. You can also use it to drag the bike around. A winch is nice, but simple things work also.

I also carry one of those mylar emergency bags, one shot sleeping bag, very small, but that and having water means that if it's getting dark I can spend the night by the bike in something less that total misery. Things usually look a lot clearer at dawn after some rest.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #103
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Question Needing to install a winch on a bike...whats wrong with this picture? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond_Explorer View Post
The other thing you could do is to install a WARN Winch on your R1200GS. This is the second bike I have seen with a winch installed, to help drag it upright, or backwards or just to help another stuck bike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-R...item27cbdaa4b1

The winch in the above link is installed on the rear carry rack - however I have seen another BMW in the Outback with a WARN winch on the front that swivels so it can pull in many directions. However they're heavy (but light compared the overall Beemer package).

Personally, I'd just ride a smaller dual purpose bike - but a winch will help you pick up the bike when it falls over on dirt tracks especially if there are boulders or trees around to hitch to.
I think if somebody needs to install a winch on their bike, they are slightly confused as to the proper use of the bike

On a serious note tho, thanks Snarky for sharing your story, you've undoubtedly helped many others, not to mention given us some VERY entertaining reading

I do have to say, I'll never understand why someone would choose to take a 600+lb street bike off-roading, but then I guess I don't need to.....everybody has a right to do anything they choose as long as its legal right?
I have 3 streetbikes for my road travels, and a lighter, dirt oriented dual-sport that handles roads plenty well enough to get me to any riding place I choose, whether its a days ride or a multi-day trip.....and then lets me hit the dirt like a real dirt bike in a safe, controllable way. Mucho fun
I learned long ago that its cheaper, safer, and wiser in the end to have a bike that fits its purpose, and to use it for that purpose

You can try and use any bike for any purpose, but I like to enjoy/survive the ride, so I use the right tool for the job.......MUCH more fun

Sierra Thumper screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 10:47 PM
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #104
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
I now agree about the 600 lb bike off road but only after I've tried it too many times. Even if you never go down, the tension from knowing how tough it'll be if you do and the damage to the bike also if you do and it pulls the fun right out of the ride for me. Also these things are DIFFICULT to do a 180 with if you are on a slope or in a narrow area or rocky or a rocky narrow slope.

Never again. I do think the GS is a superb road bike.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #105
JethroDog
dogs bark

Oddometer: 206
Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Congratulations on making it home Snarky. My only tip: ride it anywhere you want to, but be sure to compensate those that follow with plenty of beer.

JethroDog is offline   Reply With Quote