User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
KimDN OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Tell me the good/bad about SY250f Long ride

A friend has a 2006(?) for sale, it's been used for trail riding in Hawaii. I'm in the market for a trials to use for trail riding here. What do people think about it? It's heavier than other trials, but for trail riding that isn't important. Is it a true Yamaha engine or a clone? Yamaha 250s are pretty bullet proof. I test rode it, it was pretty good but needs some work. Anything to look for/opinions?
KimDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
trials935
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
sy250f

I have a 2007, it is a great trail bike, that's why I bought it. (I have a 4rt for serious riding) It is a Yamaha wr250 engine that has been re cammed and regeared for trials, 2007 was the first year for the pumper carb, that supposedly eliminates the right off idle 4 stroke cough. It does run hot, a lot of them have had the rad switch jumped so the fan runs all the time to help cool. The suspension is very plush, a very comfy bike to just trail ride with. Ken
trials935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 822
Lot of good info on this 2005 thread that might be of help...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=pipe
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:32 AM   #4
KimDN OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Ken, funny you mention that, I'm also contemplating a 2005 4rt. There's a big price difference but from everything I've read and spoken to people about, the Montesa is a great bike for the trails.

jonny, I did read through that thread a few times before I posted up. I was hoping to get more replies, but it seems that there aren't many of them out there.

A consideration would be parts availability; are Scorpa parts reliably available? Montesa?
KimDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:09 AM   #5
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimDN
A consideration would be parts availability; are Scorpa parts reliably available? Montesa?
I would think Montessa parts would be readily available, they should be part of the Honda distribution system.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
trials935
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Montesa parts are easily had through Overland Cycles or Lewisport, Scorpa parts, through RYP, engine is Yamaha, but cam and Trans gears not, l spoke with Brad Baumert, the lmporter, before I bought my sy250f, everything else on the bike is pretty much common with other euro trials bikes, so can be had. The 4rt is a lighter, more nimble trials bike than the scorpa, but the scorpa feels bigger, more comfortable and easier to sit on for longer rides, I don't have the long ride kit on it, looking for that. Ken
trials935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimDN View Post
Ken, funny you mention that, I'm also contemplating a 2005 4rt. There's a big price difference but from everything I've read and spoken to people about, the Montesa is a great bike for the trails.

jonny, I did read through that thread a few times before I posted up. I was hoping to get more replies, but it seems that there aren't many of them out there.

Didn't see mention of the thread so was just making sure you new about it.

As for the 4RT I have an 07 and ride it on trails and love it. I ride trials on it more, but that is because I like trials more than trails so look for the extra hard trails when I do ride trail rides...

I have never had an issue with it on the trails and only have a butt rest for when I stop on the trail to rest. I just stand the hole time when riding.

best of luck!..
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,176
Mike at the Tryals Shop in NY is also a good source for Scorpa parts.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
Mike at the Tryals Shop in NY is also a good source for Scorpa parts.
And he's good people!
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote