User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
211 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Shifting becoming more and more difficult

I have an 2001 Beta Rev3. Very low hrs, maintained, bought used but hardly ridden.

I'm using ATF fluid (which is what the guy before me used), but since the last fluid change shifting has become more and more difficult. Coincidence or not, I don't know. There are times when I have to practically force it into gear, even as I'm rolling.
When its cold, the clutch discs stick and even with the clutch pulled in the rear wheel will lock.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?
Hydraulic clutch bleed? New clutch pack? Different fluids??
Help... I cant ride it like this anymore without feeling like I'm going to scatter the transmission.
211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,516
Good questions.

I suppose I would start with the clutch action. Bleed the system completely (no air bubbles and no dirty fluid). Then, check the clutch while the engine is not running, while in gear and the clutch disengaged. Is there any drag? If so, the clutch may not be totally disengaging.

I think I would also ditch the ATF. There are plenty of good synthetic gearbox oils that are meant to do that job, IMO.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 786
ATF can in some cases cause swelling in the clutch plates on some clutches. changing out for a non ATF might help?
jonnyc21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 576
My 02 Rev-3 was the same. Google "Beta clutch fix". Not that hard to do but it takes some time. The best oil I found to use was PJ1 clutch tuner and Bel-Ray Gear Saver. Even after doing the clutch fix it would still have the plates stick until it got warmed up and up shifting going down hill required a lot of rev's. I used 500cc because I am a cheap bastard and want to get 2 changes from 1 bottle. But I have read about people dropping the volume to 450cc.

Good luck you have a great bike.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Thats_a_Five
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
It sounds like clutch drag.
How recently did you change the oil? Drag increases as oil gets dirty.
Check the oil, if grayish, its dirty. If it looks like milkshake, there is water in it.In either case, change the oil.If water, did you go through any deep water?Check the radiator also. Coolant may be leaking at water pump seal.
What is the lever position when the clutch starts to take up? If close to bars, it may not be releasing fully.Adjust the lever.
Does the lever feel mushy? Maybe need to bleed hydraulics per Broncos post.
If these things don’t solve it, then you will have to dig into the clutch and check for swelling and potentially cleaning up the plates per the “Beta Clutch Fix” mentioned by SCExpat.
Thats_a_Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,205
I always ran Atf in my Rev 3`s with no issues. The clutch `FIX` is a must do, but that came along much too late for my rev day`s. More likely the master cylinder needs a rebuild kit or worse. If the bike was `new` I would say it`s adjusted wrong by the owner/rider. 2001 is getting old. The Blue 2001 was my favorite color scheme. Remember the lever needs free play in it.