User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
SCExpat OP
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 590
Question What boots for BIG feet?

My 2 year old Novogar boots have worn through the soles. Kind of disappointed as the were almost $300.
Took them to get resoled but they told me there was not enough on the edges to sew to and that I should just get new boots.

I decided on Alpinstars....until I saw they only go to 12 and I need a 13.5 - 14. OK....so I'll get some Sidi boots....same thing.

The Garnae boots go to 13 but I have read that the soles are not that strong and I think my 250+ Lbs on the pegs cause them to wear out. I am kind of working on reducing my excess beer storage traction pack. But I still need some new boots. I would like to get some good ones that will last more than 2 years. Are there any other non-trials specific boots for big ass feet that will work???

SCExpat screwed with this post 10-04-2014 at 03:38 PM
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 829
Don't know about size or life span but maybe check Forma, Hebo, wulfsport, or Greeves boots...
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
stkman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I bought some Forma Boulder trials boots a few years ago and they are standing up well (I am about 180 lbs). They have a harder material in the centre of the soles where you stand on the pegs. It seems to work well.

I do wipe down and dry them after each ride and oil them every 4-6 weeks though. Too expensive not to.

They are a very flexible, comfortable trials boot.

Good luck.

Andrew
stkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
I have size 13 feet, and have used the Novogar, but they wore out fast. I now use the SIDI discovery rain, which are a waterproof version of the SIDI trial boot. They seem to last better, and fit *very* well. I use them for trials, dual sport and hare scrambles. Soft enough for trials, probably not strong enough if I dropped my enduro bike on them though.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:40 AM   #5
rokhopr
2014 Beta 200

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post

The Garnae boots go to 13 but I have read that the soles are not that strong
The Gaerne Protect Boot has a lot stiffer sole than the Oiled boot. Also they are sized small - a Gaerne 12 fits my size 13 feet. The 13 was too big for me but it might work for you.

The Protect Boot takes a little while to break in and putting some Lexol oil on them at the start helps a lot. https://secure.rypusa.com/prodpage.c...274&startrow=1
rokhopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 983
I have an 11-1/2 to 12 foot. I was given a Gaerne size 13 boot. I only use one boot because the if the right foot breaks, I just bolt a new one on

At first I thought the 13 boot would be too long and I'd snag the toe on stuff, but I have come to love that boot for the decade I've used it. The boot fits perfectly with three ankle socks and one knee sock. Protective but very flexible and never, ever a rubbed area or blister. Nice sole. Most importantly, my toes never touch the inside of the end! No jamming of toes walking down hill!
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
SCExpat OP
Ex-expat

Thanks for all the replies. I have some ideas other than taking an axe to my feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
I have size 13 feet, and have used the Novogar, but they wore out fast. I now use the SIDI discovery rain, which are a waterproof version of the SIDI trial boot. They seem to last better, and fit *very* well. I use them for trials, dual sport and hare scrambles. Soft enough for trials, probably not strong enough if I dropped my enduro bike on them though.
I checked my Novogars and they are actually size 13. I remember them being a bit tight when I got them but I wore them anyways and they stretched out a bit and became comfortable. The last pair of tennis shoes I bought were a size 14 so I just figured I needed a 14 boot......but maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokhopr View Post
The Gaerne Protect Boot has a lot stiffer sole than the Oiled boot. Also they are sized small - a Gaerne 12 fits my size 13 feet. The 13 was too big for me but it might work for you.

The Protect Boot takes a little while to break in and putting some Lexol oil on them at the start helps a lot. https://secure.rypusa.com/prodpage.c...274&startrow=1

This is good to know. Maybe the 13 will be a good fit and RYP would be a great place to get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
I have an 11-1/2 to 12 foot. I was given a Gaerne size 13 boot. I only use one boot because the if the right foot breaks, I just bolt a new one on

At first I thought the 13 boot would be too long and I'd snag the toe on stuff, but I have come to love that boot for the decade I've used it. The boot fits perfectly with three ankle socks and one knee sock. Protective but very flexible and never, ever a rubbed area or blister. Nice sole. Most importantly, my toes never touch the inside of the end! No jamming of toes walking down hill!

I had thought that using more than 1 sock would contribute more to blisters with all the extra movement. I am usually trying to get one thin sock to work as there just isn't any extra room in my boots.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
Thats_a_Five
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
If the rest of the boots are OK, don't give up yet. I have glued new soles on boots with "Shoe-Goo." I ground down the old soles with a belt sander, cleaned them really well and made sure they were dry and grease free before gluing. Wrap the soles on with pvc electrical tape at the toes and arches and let them dry for at least 24 hours.
Thats_a_Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
SCExpat OP
Ex-expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats_a_Five View Post
If the rest of the boots are OK, don't give up yet. I have glued new soles on boots with "Shoe-Goo." I ground down the old soles with a belt sander, cleaned them really well and made sure they were dry and grease free before gluing. Wrap the soles on with pvc electrical tape at the toes and arches and let them dry for at least 24 hours.
Being a cheap bastard little thrifty I had thought about that and may just give it a try. The tops are good but the leading outside edges are a bit worn from hitting stuff. Did you get new soles for trials boots http://www.tryalsshop.com/#!/Replace...VOGAR/p/376740 or just a generic one?

I found some info on the Gaerne sizing.......

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=10

"Finally I checked my EU size on my athletic shoes, some are marked 12 us, 46 EU. My cycling shoes are 12 US/46 EU. But, a 46 EU is an 11 in a Gaerne Balance, and a 12 is a 47. This is not an anomaly, but is toward the large side. Yet, the 9s I sold fit like a 9. 14s I have sold are normal, one was returned as too small."

I also found some good reports about the balance oiled and they do go to size 14.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
I had thought that using more than 1 sock would contribute more to blisters with all the extra movement. I am usually trying to get one thin sock to work as there just isn't any extra room in my boots.
One sock is a common assumption because, well, doesn't everyone just wear one sock at a time? But in the prosthetics world you learn all about sizing rigid sockets to bodies that vary in fluid volume with one or more socks.

It's also common assumption that more socks will cause problems. Blisters result from shear forces, and more socks tighten up the fit so there is less movement. More socks also create a shear-force-reduction interface.

I have for many years worn two ankle socks on the left (real) foot for breaking in my 95% of time shoes, New Balance size 12D. Then 3 socks after break in. This sizes the shoes very well to my foot. The smaller size shoes cause me problems. The 12D with one sock allows too much movement and lights up a nerve problem in my foot bones.

This detail may seem my usual analness, but it's come by experience. How my left foot performs is critical to what I do and even my safety at times. I spent 18 years doing prosthetic foot development and have thousands of my feet walking around out there in the world. The foot brand I worked so long on works great because I insisted on pushing the envelope regarding conformity to uneven terrain while retaining durability. That's a very hard thing to do!

My test ground was everywhere, but I especially loved my mountain property. The best strenuous performance and durability test was bouldering. I'd use the New Balance SL-1 Last shoes, because I found they had the best performance and grip. That's where I discovered the benefit of multiples of socks to fine tune fit, just as I would use multiples - as needed - on the prosthetic side.

Some pix from back in 2008 when I was testing a prototype foot with a flexible shank:

Much of the time bouldering is just a kind of body trials. Sometimes you just run across the rocks. Sometimes a screw-up can breaking something, so it keeps you honest.

Sometimes to trip is more than just to fall. It can be fatal:

motobene screwed with this post 10-06-2014 at 08:36 AM
Old 10-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
Thats_a_Five
Adventurer

[QUOTE=SCExpat;25219892]Being a cheap bastard little thrifty I had thought about that and may just give it a try. The tops are good but the leading outside edges are a bit worn from hitting stuff. Did you get new soles for trials boots http://www.tryalsshop.com/#!/Replace...VOGAR/p/376740 or just a generic one?

Actually did this repair for a buddy. He bought the Gaerne replacement soles from Ryan Young and I did the repair. As far as I know he is still using them (he got transferred for work).
Old 10-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #12
Thats_a_Five
Adventurer

Motobene. Awesome pics and even more awesome that you were able to change so many peoples' lives with the prosthetics.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 AM   #13
SCExpat OP
Ex-expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
One sock is a common assumption because, well, doesn't everyone just wear one sock at a time? But in the prosthetics world you learn all about sizing rigid sockets to bodies that vary in fluid volume with one or more socks.

It's also common assumption that more socks will cause problems. Blisters result from shear forces, and more socks tighten up the fit so there is less movement. More socks also create a shear-force-reduction interface.
Good to know. Thanks for removing my fear/misconceptions about multiple socks......not that I'll ever have a shoe/boot with that much room.

When I see you on the rocks it reminds of seeing the advanced/expert riders do stuff and thinking WOW, really cool and I have no desire (or the skill level) to try it.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #14
SCExpat OP
Ex-expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats_a_Five View Post
Actually did this repair for a buddy. He bought the Gaerne replacement soles from Ryan Young and I did the repair. As far as I know he is still using them (he got transferred for work).
Since I don't have a belt sander, think I'll take the boots to the shoe shop and see if they can smooth them out for me.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #15
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
When I see you on the rocks it reminds of seeing the advanced/expert riders do stuff and thinking WOW, really cool and I have no desire (or the skill level) to try it.
So much about body or bike trials is in the mind