User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
GPHusky250 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Ship a bike to Oz or buy one there

I've been kicking around a 60 day trip to Australia, taking my time and riding around the country. I was there in the 80s onboard the USS Okinawa LPH-3. Visited Sydney and Perth/Fremantle. Loved, loved, loved Perth.

Anyway, after studying as much as I could online about shipping bikes, import duties..etc., I ran across "Carnet de Passages en Douane" which I guess is a temporary way to get your bike in the country.

Anyway...it almost sounds easier to just buy a bike in Australia, ride it for 60 days and sell it.

Anyone have any experience with this?
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
RowBust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
I've been kicking around a 60 day trip to Australia, taking my time and riding around the country. I was there in the 80s onboard the USS Okinawa LPH-3. Visited Sydney and Perth/Fremantle. Loved, loved, loved Perth.

Anyway, after studying as much as I could online about shipping bikes, import duties..etc., I ran across "Carnet de Passages en Douane" which I guess is a temporary way to get your bike in the country.

Anyway...it almost sounds easier to just buy a bike in Australia, ride it for 60 days and sell it.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Probably better and easier to buy then sell. There is a good KLR in the oz flea market. No it's not mine it's in Brisbane I think.
RowBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
GPHusky250 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info.

So you think if I were to purchase a new BMW in Oz...it would be hard to sell after 60 days of riding?

Mark
Old 07-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #4
RowBust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
Thanks for the info.

So you think if I were to purchase a new BMW in Oz...it would be hard to sell after 60 days of riding?

Mark
Like anywhere if its cheap someone will buy it.
RowBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
roo6135
alias SINKERS

Oddometer: 77
Hi,
What type off bike are you after ,Road , Off road ,Touring. I have a few bikes myself , maybe consider doing a deal to buy back after your trip is over. I have a Yamaha xjr1300 set up for touring that may suit. Id sell it for $3500 australian dollars. Have to negotiate what it would be worth after your holiday
Old 07-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
GPHusky250 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo6135 View Post
Hi,
What type off bike are you after ,Road , Off road ,Touring. I have a few bikes myself , maybe consider doing a deal to buy back after your trip is over. I have a Yamaha xjr1300 set up for touring that may suit. Id sell it for $3500 australian dollars. Have to negotiate what it would be worth after your holiday
Hi, thanks for your reply. I'd be looking for a F800GS/A that I could attach all the stuff I have on my current GSA.

Australia makes it pretty tough to import a bike for a short period of time...ride around...spend money and then return.

I have been watching a few sites down there that sell used BMWs. Saw a Blue/White Trophy edition for sale...price was fine...I'm just not ready to make the trip yet. :)

Mark
San Diego