Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #1516
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbriell
This sounds really great....quite a distance for a little Yamaha XT 250 - but maybe if I got my tires switched out by then (OEM's Cheng Shi* are *unstable and squirmy* at all speeds)....and dressed up my bike to take longer trips - kinda' like Lady Draco's - it might work. Camping would be great, too, but I'd probably rather rent a condo if some others would like to go in on that.
One of the gals in '02 rode from either CA or WA (I can't remember exactly) to the conference in West Virginia on a Honda Rebel 250. So don't let anyone tell you you can't do it if you choose to.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #1517
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,814
Quote:
This sounds really great....quite a distance for a little Yamaha XT 250 - but maybe if I got my tires switched out by then (OEM's Cheng Shi* are *unstable and squirmy* at all speeds)....and dressed up my bike to take longer trips - kinda' like Lady Draco's - it might work. Camping would be great, too, but I'd probably rather rent a condo if some others would like to go in on that.

Lady Draco....what kind of tires did you put on your XT, and what did you use for your rack to tie on your gear? As much as I love my husband, I'm really yearning to go on an all female trip.. !!!

And....
Bonegrl - how tall are you? I have heard Sherpa's are a great way to start. On my XT 250 - my feet are *almost* flat, and I'm about 5'4 1/2. With MC boots - I'm much more comfortable. I also started many years ago on a smaller bike (at least, a lower to the ground street bike). I've heard Honda Rebel's are a great street bike on which to start, if you're not interested in a dualsport...Where are you located - 'cause we will all help 'ya find something that will work for you!! And sometimes what is available depends on where you are, and how far you are willing to travel to get it. :^)
I wish I could help ya... But the pix I put up wasn't my bike.....
I only re-posted it from one of the other gals bike....

I had a 400T that I couldn't come close to the ground...
Then I had a NightHawk that we lowered so I could just touch the ground...
I didn't like the rebels .. The air box bothered my legs..When I came to a stop.... I'm very short... 5.1 in my moto boots... 25-26 inseam..
I don't have any dig. pix of it .. We put saddle bags on it so I could go shopping on it.... The NightHawk is a standard type moto.. I liked it way better then the rebels and more cruiser type...
Then I stepped up to this Beast I still ride today...
This moto had 15k on it when I got it in April of 02 ..It now has 129k on it...
I have put a New Clutch in at 122k... It's running great!!!!

I also have a Black one that I just about built... I had someone else do the rear end...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #1518
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,787
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen
One of the gals in '02 rode from either CA or WA (I can't remember exactly) to the conference in West Virginia on a Honda Rebel 250. So don't let anyone tell you you can't do it if you choose to.
Well, I know it CAN be done. I rode a Honda CB 200 - which is comparable to a Rebel for many, many years on the road - on and off highways at good speeds. I also know a Honda Rebel sits a whole lot more comfortable on the road than a Dualsport. Today's dualsport seats are like sitting on dental floss! But once I make a few modifications to this bike, and get one of those ATV seatcovers, it might make it better for longer rides.
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #1519
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Eek Do you know??

...whose bike that was Lady Draco? I wouldn't mind using my bike so much with the mods and after getting my fuel /carberator to run better at our high altitudes.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #1520
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,045
Quote:
Well, I know it CAN be done. I rode a Honda CB 200 - which is comparable to a Rebel for many, many years on the road - on and off highways at good speeds. I also know a Honda Rebel sits a whole lot more comfortable on the road than a Dualsport. Today's dualsport seats are like sitting on dental floss! But once I make a few modifications to this bike, and get one of those ATV seatcovers, it might make it better for longer rides.
Didn't mean to offend you, just offering an example of someone who did what she was told couldn't be done.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #1521
bonegrl
n00biest of n00bs

Oddometer: 298
That is funny that you mention the V-Strom since that is the other bike that we are looking at. I do like the Buells, but I might decide I want something that could go off road and be away from the ATV. And I understand the height thing. I use to be tall....I'm still 5'8", but that seems to be average anymore.

Can I have some opinions on something that would be a nice ride on pavement that will work off road also? That is the big thing. The hubby has a DRZ400 and without having an extra set of wheels, the knobbies are a little rough. You guys are the best!
bonegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #1522
Motera
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonegrl
That is funny that you mention the V-Strom since that is the other bike that we are looking at. I do like the Buells, but I might decide I want something that could go off road and be away from the ATV. And I understand the height thing. I use to be tall....I'm still 5'8", but that seems to be average anymore.

Can I have some opinions on something that would be a nice ride on pavement that will work off road also? That is the big thing. The hubby has a DRZ400 and without having an extra set of wheels, the knobbies are a little rough. You guys are the best!
I have the V strom 650, I am 5'5 so at 5'8 you are laughing
It is primarily a road bike, very capable on unpaved roads (compared to sport bikes, touring bikes and cruisers) but not really suitable for off-road.
good luck!
Motera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #1523
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonegrl

If you want an off road capable bike, you have to compromise on-the-road comfort. I really like my '08 Yamaha XT 250, but will like it a WHOLE lot more once I get new tires. The OEM's are shameful.

What is your inseam? I'm 5'4 and comfortable on my bike with MC boots. The seat height is about 31 1/2". My husband, who is 5'9 and who has about the same inseam, feels a bit uncomfortable with the seat height. Go figure. My bike is about the lowest seated new dualsport you can get. A lot of women like the Sherpas - which you would have to buy used.

My husband is going to go with a street only bike, to get a lower seat.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #1524
bonegrl
n00biest of n00bs

I honestly don't know what my inseam is, though I know I am not able to really reach the ground on the hubby's DRZ400. Now, he is 6'2" with a 34 inseam.

I saw someone mentioned putting an ATV seat on their bike. Can you explain that? I'm having an hard time visualizing my ATV seat on a bike.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #1525
Tempesta
I know, right?

Oddometer: 68
ATV seat cover

I think they're talking about a seat cover. It's marketed for ATVs but a lot of folks strap them onto their dirtbike seats. I got mine at WalMart and put it on my XT 225. I had been sliding around on the seat and it was a bit hard too. The seat cover helps with that.

+1 on getting a bike that works for you now. It seems like it's really common to move through a couple of bikes the first few years you're learning, not only how to ride, but how YOU ride.

Hmm, all this talk... I might have to go for a ride today a ride that doesn't involve commuting to work.

K
Tempesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #1526
bonegrl
n00biest of n00bs

Yeah I saw that it was an ATV seat cover when I went back and reread the post. Thanks, I'm not always the sharpest tool in the shed.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:49 PM   #1527
demenshea
1% Angel 99% Hooligan

Oddometer: 270
New ride report...

For any of the interested moto-girls, I just posted a new report in ride reports highlighting my last 3 day solo ride for my *ahem* birthday!!

It was a fantastic ride...now back to your scheduled programing...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400813
Old 10-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #1528
Frank_W
Making shampoo mohawks...

Oddometer: 101
Thumb

Women on bikes... Fuckin' HOT!!!!

Her: "Have YOU ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, you mean like.. in the face?"
Her: "..... What is the MATTER with you?!"
Frank_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #1529
SelkieRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I thought I would say hi and introduce myself to fellow women riders since my F800GS finally came in and I can't seem to get enough of it. Too bad work gets in the way...

So anyway, HI!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #1530
Astir
Adventuress

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelkieRider
I thought I would say hi and introduce myself to fellow women riders since my F800GS finally came in and I can't seem to get enough of it. Too bad work gets in the way...

So anyway, HI!
Uhhh.... pictures?

I so want an 800GS! Welcome!
Astir is offline   Reply With Quote