Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2006, 10:07 AM   #166
twisty sister
CRACK pot

Oddometer: 2,059
Hi!
Sounds like a fun ride!
I usually camp, so you are ahead of the game, since you won't need to bring tents/bags/food etc!
I would recommend bringing water, just in case, cell phone and charger (You can charge it in the motel) DON"T FORGET your camera!
Wear as many clothes as you are comfy wearing, you can always remove a few..or just add a pair of thin thermals to the mix.. Thin rain jacket, (unless you have a waterproof suit), silk glove liners, scarf or bandana (For a miriad of uses!)
sunglasses and/ or rx eyeglasses.
It sounds like a lot of stuff, but it's really not!
I also am a fan of rolling..fewer wrinkles and it creates more space!
Never underestimate the power of layers..and be prepared for cold..no matter WHAT the forecast says!
Also..a "travel pack" of wet wipes ("baby wipes") will come in SO handy, and take up NO space!
Have fun!

Rest easy, Dagwood ..You were My flawed yet perfect soul mate.
and... Mike, Amanda and Ben.
You are loved and missed.
KTM 640 Adventure

twisty sister screwed with this post 05-23-2006 at 10:56 AM
twisty sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #167
lizabee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
another girl here!

Hi there,
last time I checked, I was a girl too I have been riding a Yamaha SRX250 for about six months and just graduated to a '97 f650 (her name's Pony). I got a lot of crud for calling my ride a girl, but whatever. Glad to find there are so many adventure gals out there! See y'all on the roads, and do let me know if any of you are coming out through the SF Bay Area.

1997 BMW f650
1987 Yamaha SRX250
2003 Yamaha TW200
2005 FrancisFrancis X1 (red, with chrome!)
lizabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:54 AM   #168
twisty sister
CRACK pot

Left coaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabee
Hi there,
last time I checked, I was a girl too I have been riding a Yamaha SRX250 for about six months and just graduated to a '97 f650 (her name's Pony). I got a lot of crud for calling my ride a girl, but whatever. Glad to find there are so many adventure gals out there! See y'all on the roads, and do let me know if any of you are coming out through the SF Bay Area.
Hi, Lizabee!
I live in the East Bay of Calif!
PM me if ya wanna ride sometime!

KTM 640 Adventure
Old 05-23-2006, 12:58 PM   #169
outliergeekette
Data Packrat

Oddometer: 36
Question

For those of you (women!) who didn't get into motorcycle riding because of a guy (or because you grew up with it in your youth), what motorcycle did you choose and why? And, did you start with dirt or street?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:01 PM   #170
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by outliergeekette
For those of you (women!) who didn't get into motorcycle riding because of a guy (or because you grew up with it in your youth), what motorcycle did you choose and why? And, did you start with dirt or street?
F650 GS (2005)

I only learned to ride 2 years ago. I'm 37.

I chose this bike because of it's ergonomics. It fits me perfectly and that was half the battle for me. Another reason was because of the handlebar placement. I'm sitting more upright and feel more comfy on long rides. It will also handle some dirt, which IMHO, made for a perfect all around bike. It goes fast enough down the highway(I've been over 100) and it's got a low first gear which is nice for dirt riding.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #171
twisty sister
CRACK pot

I chose my current bike (KTM 2002 640 Adventure) because it is my idea of the ultimate bike for my needs!
I have ridden for over 30 years, and have made some unique bike choices..
First bike I actually bought (and didn't trade the neighborhood boys pics of naked ladies I drew in exchange to ride!) was a 1969 B25 BSA 250 "Starfire".
It was very cool, and I rode it everywhere!
I quickly graduated to larger displacement bikes, mostly british "classics", such as Nortons and triumphs, dabbled in BMW, which was far too compliant for my tastes!
Had several dirt/MX bikes, ( 76'Hodaka wombat!, 2001 Yamaha YZ250f, 2003 Honda CFR250r, XR250..had 4 of these..they are great!)
Then got into "newer" bikes...Honda Hawk NT650..and then my current dream machine, the KTM!
I became enthralled with bikes IN SPITE of the folks hatred of them.
Have taught several boyfriends how to ride and see it as my primary life's passion!

KTM 640 Adventure
Old 05-24-2006, 04:07 AM   #172
kittycactus
Banned

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
My first ride was a horse, then mountain bikes. I got into motorcycles through my boyfriend. Sorry but I've never seen any chicks riding in my area that inspired me like my boyfriend, now husband, did.
kittycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #173
hez
no longer rational

Oddometer: 348
more legs than muscles

Quote:
...what motorcycle did you choose and why? And, did you start with dirt or street?
Bought my first bike in '03 - a BMW F650GS Dakar. The salesman said I was the first "lady" he'd ever sold a dakar too. At 6' tall I was probably the first that could touch feet down on both sides. It was the first dual sport I had ever seen and I was smitten. In retrospect, I should have probably gotten something lighter. I've gotten myself into situations where I needed help to pick up the beast. I'd prefer to be more self-sufficient. Other than that, though, it's a great ride.
hez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:26 PM   #174
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Oddometer: 1,725
Quote:

I started on a 1982 Suzuki GN125, a street bike, (in 1992), it was small and it was cheap. I bought it used and had the previous owner ride it to my house for me since I’ve never operated a motorcycle before. After the bike was parked I went inside to read the manual cover to cover, when I was done I went back outside, started it up and started riding. I think that bike was a great bike to learn on, and when I dropped it, and I did, I could pick it up myself.

XT225 | ST3 | 954RR
VIVID1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #175
lotus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
picking up bikes

Hey Ra+ional,

I ride an F650GS and just tried a new technique the other day for picking it up... don't know if you've tried this... turn your back to the bike (on the side it's down on), grab hold of the handlebar and the passenger grip and use your legs to pick it up.

Hope that makes sense.
lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #176
twisty sister
CRACK pot

Hoisting the beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus
Hey Ra+ional,

I ride an F650GS and just tried a new technique the other day for picking it up... don't know if you've tried this... turn your back to the bike (on the side it's down on), grab hold of the handlebar and the passenger grip and use your legs to pick it up.

Hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense. I have used this method..really works!
The whole idea is to use leverage and PUSH the bike up rather than try to PULL it up (futile, in most cases)
great tip, especially for us gals with behemoth bikes!

KTM 640 Adventure
Old 05-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #177
advridergirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
My first bike was a VStar because I really believed I had to have both feet planted flat on the ground, thought it was real pretty and sounded good ;-) My next ride was an F650GS for a couple of years and I had an SV650S for awhile. I enjoyed the sportbike but my real love is a dual sport ride and now I have a KTM 950 Adventure.

Jacqui
BMWMOA #111667, CG Inmate #F6502784

Now: '06 F650GS and Then: '06 KTM 950Adv, '03 F650GS, '02 SV650S, '02 650 V-Star
advridergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:56 AM   #178
hez
no longer rational

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus
... turn your back to the bike (on the side it's down on), grab hold of the handlebar and the passenger grip and use your legs to pick it up.
Thanks for the tip! I've thought about laying the GS down gently in the back yard to try a couple of different techniques. Always in a little bit of denial though that this is something I need to practice.

I've had two unplanned dismounts this year. The first time I probably could have picked it up myself eventually, problem being I landed on my head and was a little "out of it". My brother was along and didn't want to leave me laying there I guess. Second time, it was a real rocky, uneven spot (imagine that). The bike tipped over so that the wheels were higher than the engine (i.e., heaviest part over the fulcrum). It actually took me and two big strong guys to right it that time - guess I don't feel bad about that one. Obviously my goal is to stay upright, but it seems that doesn't always work out.
hez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:43 AM   #179
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra+ional
Second time, it was a real rocky, uneven spot (imagine that). The bike tipped over so that the wheels were higher than the engine (i.e., heaviest part over the fulcrum). It actually took me and two big strong guys to right it that time - guess I don't feel bad about that one. Obviously my goal is to stay upright, but it seems that doesn't always work out.
I've had it down on pavement like that. Best advice I got was after the effect, but damn good and I'll use it next time I'm in a similar situation:

While the bike is on the ground, swivel it around so that the wheels are facing downhill, not uphill. It'll get a bit scratched up, but hey, if you're all alone and need to get it upright, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Just be careful not to use too much force as you'll get it upright only to have it continue on the same path and be down again on the other side.

VR

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:57 AM   #180
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra+ional
Thanks for the tip! I've thought about laying the GS down gently in the back yard to try a couple of different techniques.
There's a bunch of guys here who have a lot of experience knocking bikes over. If you want some help. Just saying.