Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #2176
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
A while back I posted about an All Women's Adventure camp. Well, we had it and it was a blast. Here's a link to the page where the pictures start (about four posts down): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...551769&page=30

If you have any way to swing it consider doing this next year, it's an incredible weekend. They have rental bikes ($50) if people fly in to do the weekend. AKLiz and Ideawife both flew in and used a rental bike. They also have some camping gear if you don't want to haul yours on the plane - heck they even set up the tent. Now that's a bit of luxury!
What kind of bikes did they have to rent - and is that $50.00 a day? That isn't too bad....

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:06 AM   #2177
Lobster Grrl
Ground feeder

Oddometer: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner
What kind of bikes did they have to rent - and is that $50.00 a day? That isn't too bad....
When and where is the camp next year?

lg
Lobster Grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:16 AM   #2178
Carol Ann
Canción de Domingo

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyupgirl
Hello,

I'm a newbie and this is my first post....although I have been featured in a few ride reports.

Can I have a show of hands of women riders in the group??
Hello! I am female rider, new to the forum too! I ride a 06 Ninja Kawasaki. Taking it to work today in preparation of a nice long, maybe 200 ride on Sunday.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Churchill
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #2179
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluteSONG
Hello! I am female rider, new to the forum too! I ride a 06 Ninja Kawasaki. Taking it to work today in preparation of a nice long, maybe 200 ride on Sunday.

Hello FluteSong
Welcome....:calp
We head out to look at a huge tree house in TN...

I'm so backed up on rr's....

Hope every one has a safe and fun filled weekend

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #2180
Scooterclassic
Niblitt

Oddometer: 3
One more from Sacramento...

Welcome...
Scooterclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #2181
Kath
2wheelmom

Oddometer: 322
Hello to the new ladies!

Maryland Tag O Rama Thread/MD TOR Map

"The destination is simply an excuse for the ride." ~XC Rider
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #2182
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

I have a new rr up ....

TheTreeHouse in TN....

Old 06-06-2010, 04:07 AM   #2183
Carol Ann
Canción de Domingo

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamartha
Hi!

You can add me too! I ride that advrider-hated HD brand!

Martha
Hello! I am in NC too! Not quite as small a town as Earl. What are you riding now? I've had two HD and am now in the bike I feel the best on...my Ninja!

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Churchill
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #2184
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,603
Dang I thought I had this thread subscribed but I guess it wasn't so I'm a bit behind.

Welcome to the new gals and I hope to see many posts of fun adventure from you.

LadyDraco you alway have such interesting rides. That tree house looks fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jane
Down here in Oz we organised our own girls rides, or "Chicks in the Sticks". So far we've had 2 camping weekends, no blokes, and all on bikes except those who are injured. The momentum is growing, though our group is currently small. We have a great time and there are more trips planned.

Importantly we are all finding our confidence on dirt grow, which is very rewarding.

Here is the ride report for those that are interested:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post12888599
There have only been a few women only motorcycle gatherings that I have attended but I sure enjoy them. As much as I love the men for me it's nice to get away with just the gals once in a while where we can really let our hair down.

In North Idaho for about 5 years a group of gals hosted a women's only mountain bicycle camp. Camp was limited to 100 women and every year there were 100 women and a waiting list. I attended three of them and I can't even come close to describing the energy, camaraderie, and total feeling of acheivement. I never did get even close to being a skilled bicycle rider but I sure did have fun and enjoyed the weekends.

I wish I could explain it but even though many women say they don't act differently when men are around when it is women only it really is different.

I have also attended gatherings/weekends for women however the spouces were welcome. At one, out of the 23 women there I was the only one without a spouce/SO ~ talk about feeling out of place at a women's gathering. After that I swore I would never go to another one that the men were included. I figure if I'm going to go where the guys are I might as well go to any number of the other events and at least there everyone isn't coupled up. Don't get me wrong all the people were very nice and worked at including me but it sure felt weird and like I was the third wheel the entire weekend.

WOW, I got on a bit of a roll there.

Back to Adveture Camp questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner
It's $50.00 for the entire weekend. The bikes are the smaller dual sport bikes. Yamaha XT250, Honda CRF230, Yamaha TW200, I think there was a Kawasaki KLX250 there too.

Ride West BMW out of Seattle was there too with their demo bikes that we could try. They did ask that for some of the more difficult obstucles that we not take the demos over like the sand pit and the pyramid but for the most part we could do what ever we wanted with those bikes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster Grrl
When and where is the camp next year?

lg
The camp for next year hasn't been set yet but I suspect it will be in May again. This year it was on mother's day which might or might not be an issue for gals. There were a couple gals that were there because that was their Mother's day present from their hubbies.

I'm sure it will be in Roy, WA again since the set up there is close to perfect. The only thing that could be better would be showers but we had a hose so we could wash up and we lived through no showers for a weekend. Heck when we are out camping in the far reaches of the forests we don't have showers.

Roy, WA is close to Olympia, WA or S. of Seattle. The gals that flew in for the weekend flew in to Seattle and rented a car to get to camp.

When we get a date set for next year I will post it on this thread again. Hopefully we will get the date nailed down well in advance so gals that are coming a distance can plan for the time to ride out or be early enough to get decent fares to fly.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #2185
ebam
noob

Oddometer: 10
Thumb another newbie

hey there, i'm also a girl and new to the motorcycle world.
ebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #2186
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,603
Welcome to the wonderful world of ADV.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #2187
AKMapGirl
Lots to learn...

Oddometer: 10
I am new and a girl. My brother (mtndragon) turned me on to this site - as if he doesn't already give his little sister all kinds of advice! I live in Alaska and look forward to posting my first ride report on a trip in my "back yard"
AKMapGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #2188
vthuman
Lolo

Oddometer: 31
Female Rider ~

I really don't care the sex of the riders I ride with as long as they ride well and aren't trying to prove anything. I usually ride with a bunch of guys that - as a friend said, "I don't think of you as a woman - I think of you as a motorcyclist." Cool with me. Course, one of the guys is my husband and he does think of me as a woman at appropriate times.

Right now I need to buy some boots! Looking at men's Alpinestars Scout... thinking the mens 6 should fit a women's size 8. I ride 12 - 20K a year, need something comfortable, waterproof, and flexible calf sizing. Geez - 135, 5'4".. I'm not huge for heaven's sake but most boots are tight around the calf. Before I plunk down the $280 for a pair of men's boots I thought I should at least ask here. THANKS! Really.
vthuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #2189
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthuman
Right now I need to buy some boots! Looking at men's Alpinestars Scout... thinking the mens 6 should fit a women's size 8. I ride 12 - 20K a year, need something comfortable, waterproof, and flexible calf sizing. Geez - 135, 5'4".. I'm not huge for heaven's sake but most boots are tight around the calf. Before I plunk down the $280 for a pair of men's boots I thought I should at least ask here. THANKS! Really.

First of all ...Welcome new gals

vthuman......
I really love my Sidi OnRoad... But the older ones "SymaTex"... I haven't tried the newer style yet "GoreTex"..
Mine are around 4 yrs old and still 100% waterproof..
They are very comfy to get off the bike and hike a little..
4 straps so you can really get a nice fit.....

My boots have over 100k miles on them...

Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #2190
MaverickChick
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by vthuman
most boots are tight around the calf. Before I plunk down the $280 for a pair of men's boots I thought I should at least ask here. THANKS! Really.

I feel your pain! I had to try on several pairs of boots until I found the right one. And I did end up going with Alpinestars just because they DO have the best calf accommodations . Although I don't have that specific model of boot, in general all the other alpine ones I tried on run true with the minus 2 for the man-woman conversion. So a six should be fine! Just locate a bike store and see if they have them in stock, then you can order online, or from the store.

and... WELCOME!