Old 08-30-2006, 09:25 PM   #241
jbfields3
MSF Trainer

Oddometer: 38
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty sister
Oh , for cryin' out LOUD!
Can't we women have ONE THREAD that has NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING but RIDING without it turning into a virtual grope fest??????
Isn't that what "myspace" or "match.com" is for?
This is just another example of why women riders aren't always taken seriously.
It had to be said. So, I said it.
End rant.
Grope fest? Why am I always late.
(IBA #30174) AMA, MRF, MSF
jbfields3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:28 PM   #242
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,129
Quote:
Can't we women have ONE THREAD that has NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING but RIDING without it turning into a virtual grope fest??????
End rant.

Sure, as soon as you can show me one thread that doesn't contain a woman complaining in it.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:49 PM   #243
BARB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
End rant.

Now I understand the "fecal agitator" tag. Barb
Old 08-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #244
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,741
Whoops! Apparently I missed this thread as well (although I did find the corresponding one for women riders in the PNW )

I know a couple of you, but not many. Or maybe I do know you and just don't know it...I'm so bad with names. Sigh.

Anyway, I've been riding for a while now. Feel free to poke around on my website - I try to put up a page for any trip that I feel is worth noting. I've been to the Arctic and all over Mexico, as well as the east coast and most of BC. I am getting more into riding dirt, but I find the GS a bit intimidating in that element (I know damn well I couldn't pick it up) There is some other stuff on my site as well, but its just that: stuff. Now I think I should go back to page 1 and see what I missed!

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!

DantesDame screwed with this post 08-30-2006 at 10:39 PM
DantesDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:42 PM   #245
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by outliergeekette
For those of you (women!) who didn't get into motorcycle riding because of a guy (or because you grew up with it in your youth), what motorcycle did you choose and why? And, did you start with dirt or street?
I didn't know anyone who rode when I started. I got a scooter for college but my parents freaked (it was 'dangerous' because I couldn't keep up with traffic) So I bought a '78 Yamaha 500. No real reason for that bike other than it was only $250. Dirt bikes never entered my mind because I grew up in the city...

As for guys who might have influenced me... I had to teach my first two boyfriends how to ride

DantesDame screwed with this post 08-30-2006 at 10:50 PM
Old 08-30-2006, 11:56 PM   #246
ridingAK
On the Road Less Taken...

Oddometer: 248
Hello All

I'm also a female rider. Got a f650 this July in Seattle. So far I have a little less than 4500 miles on it. Riding the Alcan was a blast, and there were quite a few other women out there.

I haven't been able to get any photos of the trip to attach.
ridingAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:39 AM   #247
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer

Oddometer: 2,925
I'm not hitched

Dave

(dont yell at me she asked)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgsrider
Hello,

I am new here. Female rider on a F650GS!

Anyone wondering....not hitched.
GS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:58 PM   #248
twisty sister
CRACK pot

Oddometer: 2,059
I stand by my rant.

Rest easy, Dagwood ..You were My flawed yet perfect soul mate.
and... Mike, Amanda and Ben.
You are loved and missed.
KTM 640 Adventure
twisty sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #249
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Dave
I'm not hitched

Dave

(dont yell at me she asked)
Technically, she DIDN'T ask. She merely commented that she's not hitched. She didn't say if she cared whether or not you were

Me? I'm not hitched either, but then that's not really important in this thread is it? Other than I get to ride whenever *I* want to!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 10:16 PM   #250
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer

Oddometer: 2,925
You are correct So let me know when you want to go ride, and if you would like some company (might take me a few days to get there)

I am glad girls ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantesDame
Technically, she DIDN'T ask. She merely commented that she's not hitched. She didn't say if she cared whether or not you were

Me? I'm not hitched either, but then that's not really important in this thread is it? Other than I get to ride whenever *I* want to!!!

GS Dave screwed with this post 08-31-2006 at 10:37 PM
GS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:05 AM   #251
BMWBard
Mystic Rider

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra+ional
She: Ohhh. You’re a biker bitch aren’t you?
Me: Huh?
She: There are two types of women motorcycle riders, you know? There are the ones like me who don’t know anything about motorcycles and don’t want to. We’re biker babes. Then there are women like you who know how motorcycles work and change their own oil and stuff. You’re biker bitches.

WTF? Anyone heard of this classification system before? Not that I care too much what people like this think or say, but I thought some of you ladies might get a kick out of this.
Actually, not quite. When and where I started riding most of the "real bikers" were men on harleys. "Real" means you weren't just some rich kid playing on a bike during the summer. "Summer rider" was an extreme pejoritive tag.

A "biker bitch" was some dumb broad on the back of the harley whose entire worth in life was to be the rider's...er...tension release.

Very few men who didn't ride harleys were considered real riders there. I was the only woman considered to be one. It had nothing to do with how much work you did on your bike.

...come to think of it, that's probably hy I have such a tough time understanding guys who sneer "You're not a real motorcyclist" at people who don't have a garage, a couple sets of tools, etc, and do everything themselves on their bike; and why I tend to look with disbelief at guys who have a stable of toys to ride for recreation only who sneer like that! The old "summer rider" thing.

BMWBard screwed with this post 09-01-2006 at 12:11 AM
BMWBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:34 AM   #252
BMWBard
Mystic Rider

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander
I've truely enjoyed lurking here on occasion and listening to the comments about M vs F riding styles. I think it's hilarious how M's tend to ride to meet up with F's an awful lot and F's tend to ride more to get away from M's!! I've also noticed a bit of anxiety when F's ride with M's and experience a percieved skill gap and feel like they are holding up the group. Wwwweellllll how would you all respond to a ladies only skills class from someone whom has extensive motorcycle and mechanical instructional experience? I could teach strategies on everything from bike maintenance and travel skills to bike handling technique particularly geared for bigger dual-sports. It could be a rally type format where we would meet at a predetermined location or I could host the thing at my training facility in Kansas City. I am open to suggestions, ideas, etc. on the subject. Whadaya think, ladies? Any takers?
Ha, if I was there or anywhere nearby I'd take you up on that in a second.

The whole M motorcyclist acting wierd around F motorcyclist thing is very new to me, and I don't care much for it! I rode for years before a rearender from an idiot in a car smashed my old K75 under me and left me bikeless for a long long time. I was aware that I was the only F in the area who owned no car, rode her own bike solo, but the bottom line was always that I was another motorcyclist to all the Ms. That did change a bit in the service, but not from the other motorcyclists --my commander unofficially attempted to force me to sell the bike because "female officers do not ride motorcycles" ("we would prefer that male officers don't but we won't say anything if they do" ).

I was royally shocked last year when I started to get back into motorcycling and asked for some mech help from other riders and received several "sure sweetie, your place or mine afterwards" replies. At least after that being ...er..."approached" shortly after radvriders found out I was female didn't come as a complete surprise....*shakes head bemusedly*

It'd be real nice to have a chance to learn some mech stuff, get some good riding skills down, brush up on things I used to know well, without that kind of bs interfering. of course, I don't think you'd consider my new motorcycle to be a big dual sport....
Old 09-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #253
roadrider2k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
sherpa's

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
This is humorous
I just realized that I had already checked in on this thread a while back. I must be getting old....the mind is going.

Since I raised the topic of KLR's, how many women here are riding them? 250 or 650. The 650 doesn't scare me away, but I would like a bike that is pretty easy to push around in the dirt. I kind of like the Sherpa. Anyone got one they need to unload?

Julia
I heard they still sell them in Canada Eh!
Old 09-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #254
roadrider2k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Sherpa's in Canada EH,

http://www.kawasaki.ca/offroad_dual/SuperSherpa/

$5600 canadian money for a 2006.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #255
somewhere-els
n00b

Oddometer: 6
[quote=DantesDame]