Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #2821
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
You get the confidence from riding, pushing yourself a little bit, riding, pushing more and over time, you develop skills and trust in yourself. It helps to have someone who is a patient coach but you can figure it out for yourself, too. Another inmate, Neduro, has really good dirt skills videos you can find here: http://www.dualsportriding.com/
that, and it helps getting a bike that you don't mind dropping - seriously. Because you will drop it, more than once and as long as you wear the right gear it's really not a big deal (we all do that - in the dirt).
Old 09-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #2822
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,736
Yup. If you're going to ride in the dirt, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of a pressure suit, quality knee pads, possibly bike shorts with hip armor, good pants, a dirt helmet (better ventilation) and quality boots. You can pretty much plan on spending about $1,000 to $1,500 to get kitted out for quality gear. Yes, you can get gear for less. But do not stint on boots or your pressure suit. And yes, I advise a pressure suit more than a roost deflector. Look at it as a long-term investment. You'll wear the stuff for years.

Arai XD3 helmet on closeout $499
Klim Dakar pants $275
Gaerne G Midland boots $365
RockGardn Flak Jacket pressure suit $160
EVS knee pads $45
Jersey $45
Jacket $100

And that's $1489.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #2823
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Yup. If you're going to ride in the dirt, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of a pressure suit, quality knee pads, possibly bike shorts with hip armor, good pants, a dirt helmet (better ventilation) and quality boots. You can pretty much plan on spending about $1,000 to $1,500 to get kitted out for quality gear. Yes, you can get gear for less. But do not stint on boots or your pressure suit. And yes, I advise a pressure suit more than a roost deflector. Look at it as a long-term investment. You'll wear the stuff for years.

Arai XD3 helmet on closeout $499
Klim Dakar pants $275
Gaerne G Midland boots $365
RockGardn Flak Jacket pressure suit $160
EVS knee pads $45
Jersey $45
Jacket $100

And that's $1489.
I couldn't agree more. Thanks to cuttle for recommending the pressure suit I now wear and won't ride dirt without it. I also did not skimp on boots ... Far too important.
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #2824
Gotawee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Thanks ladies for the info.
Hi Jayne I've been looking at your page you linked great info there thanks for that.
Gitana thanks for the link to the dvd's will check them out.
I am looking at getting new boots as my road ones probably don't give enough support and protection even for the blacktop.
They have already split on the side and the soles are seperating from the boot itself and they aren't great for grip specially when you can't flatfoot the ground.
I won't be doing any major off road just the odd track to a lookout etc or forestry track not quite the right bike for really major dirt adventures.
But in time as my confidence builds and I am less paranoid about falling over things may change.
Thanks again for your help and advice
Gotawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #2825
tankara fishing
tierra encantada

Oddometer: 97
Any other women out there who ride Triumph Tigers? I have the Roadie version (which I lowered a bit). Wonderful bike!
tankara fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #2826
Hewby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Confidence? I reckon the trick is just pretend you have it until you do. Wear good gear to protect yourself and instal crash bars on the bike ( and ride with empty panniers if you need) so if you drop the bike you don't break anything! I started out after getting my license at my parents place in Victoria, Australia and headed straight down to Tassie solo the next week. fun! Such a great state for riding! Now on a bigger bike doing alaska to Patagonia solo. The reason I got my license in the first place. Enjoy it. Good luck
Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #2827
BigE_50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewby View Post
Now on a bigger bike doing alaska to Patagonia solo. The reason I got my license in the first place. Enjoy it. Good luck
Hewby, I just took a peek at the blog about your trip; I'm looking forward to reading it all. Your trip sounds fantastic!

BigE_50 screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 10:39 AM
BigE_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #2828
Gotawee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewby View Post
Confidence? I reckon the trick is just pretend you have it until you do. Wear good gear to protect yourself and instal crash bars on the bike ( and ride with empty panniers if you need) so if you drop the bike you don't break anything! I started out after getting my license at my parents place in Victoria, Australia and headed straight down to Tassie solo the next week. fun! Such a great state for riding! Now on a bigger bike doing alaska to Patagonia solo. The reason I got my license in the first place. Enjoy it. Good luck
Hi Hewby
Wow Alaska would love to do that one day.
Enjoy your trip.
Gotawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #2829
lytehouse
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Been skimming thru this thread for advice on a good pair of boots for the dirt. My husband and I recently took to off road (after years on street bikes) and within a month, he's got a broken wrist and I had an bruised foot.

Anyway, live and learn, right?

My question is to Gitana....where'd you get your Gaerne boots? Did you buy them locally?
Ya'll have so many more options for shops than we do, I just want to make the most of my time up there.
Thank You,

Brenda
Jim Croce
lytehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #2830
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,736
The best place to buy gear is in Arvada, MotoGear Outlet. The owners are ADV members and they have GREAT sales. However, the Gaerne G Midland boots are only available from one place: http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...ots_p_351.html. I happen to like Gaerne boots a LOT. I have wide feet and they fit really, really well. I didn't want a true motocross boot for dirt riding, but I wanted something with a lot more support than my Gaerne trials boots. The G Midland fits the bill. Atomic is the only importer, and you can't get them anyplace else.

As for Colorado gear, in addition to MotoGear Outlet, there's Performance Cycle in Denver, and Apex in Colorado Springs. I have bought a lot of gear through Bike Bandit, Rocky Mountain ATV and Motorcycle Superstore as well.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #2831
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,800
Quote:
I happen to like Gaerne boots a LOT. I have wide feet and they fit really, really well. I didn't want a true motocross boot for dirt riding, but I wanted something with a lot more support than my Gaerne trials boots. The G Midland fits the bill.
I got lucky and found my Gaerne Explorer used on German ebay.. had them shipped to the states for about 30 bucks (maybe 70ish total).

Real motocross boots are tough to ride in imo; I owned some and found myself dragging the rear break by accident (no feeling with the boots) - not a good idea in gravel
Old 10-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #2832
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 478
Thoughts on building confidence

Seems to be quite a few posts on building confidence here so thought I'd share a conversation I had today with my boyfriend. We were driving home from the Shenandoah 500 today and talking about riding and all the things we want to do. He mentioned how impressed he is with how much I have improved this year and that made me really happy because I definitely feel like I have entered a new level of skill finally.

I explained to him that the biggest difference between my riding now and even at the beginning of the year is that I have built confidence and have lost that deep fear in the pit of my stomach every time I get on the bike on new trails. That fear has changed to excitement and making me want to ride all the time! I went through the same thing when I learned to mountain bike years ago. There is healthy fear that keeps you n your toes and the fear that holds you back too much.

The challenge I find every time I try something new that seems scary, like riding in the dirt and gravel and rocks, is that I know I will get over that bad fear and I keep getting on the bike and pushing myself through it until I am able to conquer it. Some things take longer to push through the fear than others, and sometimes that fear comes back, but it's all part of the challenge and a huge part of why most of us ride!!! We are doing some the majority of women do not do and we are doing it well and experiencing life.

Get out and ride!! I am on a good high from this weekend. Can't wait until my next ride!
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #2833
swann
Just practicing...

Oddometer: 273
Wise words!

Believe you can and you're halfway there. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #2834
lytehouse
n00b

Quote:
The best place to buy gear is in Arvada, MotoGear Outlet. The owners are ADV members and they have GREAT sales. However, the Gaerne G Midland boots are only available from one place: http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...ots_p_351.html. I happen to like Gaerne boots a LOT. I have wide feet and they fit really, really well. I didn't want a true motocross boot for dirt riding, but I wanted something with a lot more support than my Gaerne trials boots. The G Midland fits the bill. Atomic is the only importer, and you can't get them anyplace else.

As for Colorado gear, in addition to MotoGear Outlet, there's Performance Cycle in Denver, and Apex in Colorado Springs. I have bought a lot of gear through Bike Bandit, Rocky Mountain ATV and Motorcycle Superstore as well.

Thanks for the info,I've been into MotoGear several times, great little shop.
Jim Croce
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #2835
lytehouse
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
I got lucky and found my Gaerne Explorer used on German ebay.. had them shipped to the states for about 30 bucks (maybe 70ish total).

Real motocross boots are tough to ride in imo; I owned some and found myself dragging the rear break by accident (no feeling with the boots) - not a good idea in gravel
I want something with a bit more support than my BMW's, but not really a true motocross boot. Also, I'm scared to buy some from the internet without trying them on.
Jim Croce