Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #2911
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,601
Wahoo! Have a great trip and I hope you do a ride report afterwards. If you do please post a link to it here so we can all follow it.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #2912
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 512
graduated from blue to orange!

ok ladies - for the big 4-0 this year i figured it was time to graduate from this!

to this!!

now i just have to get use to a lot more power, suspension and not being able to flat foot anymore :) :)

so excited!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #2913
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,375
Cool deal TuffStuff
Congrats !!!

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #2914
Pepper Parapente
FLy far, Go fast.

Oddometer: 4
Lady rider.. Just found this thread

Love reading these posts!
I'm a New Mexico GS rider and am planning my first multi country adventure with a couple other women riders, leaving in December :)
We are trying to get some 650gs sponsored by BMW for the trip so we're all riding the same thing.. I might miss my 1200 tho'

Anyone else make the trip down to Chile? Any tips/pointers/warnings?

~Pepper
Pepper Parapente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #2915
MaverickChick
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper parapente View Post
love reading these posts!
I'm a new mexico gs rider and am planning my first multi country adventure with a couple other women riders, leaving in december :)
we are trying to get some 650gs sponsored by bmw for the trip so we're all riding the same thing.. I might miss my 1200 tho'

anyone else make the trip down to chile? Any tips/pointers/warnings?

~pepper
nice!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #2916
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper Parapente View Post
Love reading these posts!
I'm a New Mexico GS rider and am planning my first multi country adventure with a couple other women riders, leaving in December :)
We are trying to get some 650gs sponsored by BMW for the trip so we're all riding the same thing.. I might miss my 1200 tho'

Anyone else make the trip down to Chile? Any tips/pointers/warnings?

~Pepper
Here's a ride report by a fried of mine who recently did that trip

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828153
Old 06-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #2917
AzzyPlatt
She Biker

Oddometer: 1
Hi ladies!!

I am also new to the forum.

I'm from Perth, Western Australia.
22, been riding for about 3.5years now, all road riding though.

I currently own (and selling) a Cagiva Xtra Raptor (carbon fibre edition).

When I ride, I ride long distance. I also don't own a car and am sick of lugging around my gear in a backpack weighing 10kgs every weekend I travel!

So!... I'm turning to either a Triumph 800xc or BMW F800 GS.
Want it mainly for the travel, the luggage and to do some more exploring off road ;) - where all the fun stuff is at!!

Also, I have recently ridden around Malaysia. One of the best things I have ever done. Some of the best riding roads I've ever been on.

I have a plan of doing some adventure riding through the north of Vietnam in April next year for around 15 days, if any one has any experience/input or wants to join me, I'm open to all!!

I'm so happy to finally find a forum like this, especially with the ladies getting into this style of riding. It's great!

Look forward to getting to know you all :)
AzzyPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #2918
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,601
Hi AzzyPlatt, Welcome to ADV and all the fun. I hope to see more posts from you and some ride reports.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #2919
MaverickChick
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzyPlatt View Post
Hi ladies!!

I am also new to the forum.

I'm from Perth, Western Australia.
22, been riding for about 3.5years now, all road riding though.

I currently own (and selling) a Cagiva Xtra Raptor (carbon fibre edition).

When I ride, I ride long distance. I also don't own a car and am sick of lugging around my gear in a backpack weighing 10kgs every weekend I travel!

So!... I'm turning to either a Triumph 800xc or BMW F800 GS.
Want it mainly for the travel, the luggage and to do some more exploring off road ;) - where all the fun stuff is at!!

Also, I have recently ridden around Malaysia. One of the best things I have ever done. Some of the best riding roads I've ever been on.

I have a plan of doing some adventure riding through the north of Vietnam in April next year for around 15 days, if any one has any experience/input or wants to join me, I'm open to all!!

I'm so happy to finally find a forum like this, especially with the ladies getting into this style of riding. It's great!

Look forward to getting to know you all :)

Welcome
Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #2920
GSDiva
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I'm Right Here in Denver, CO

Count me in. I have owned my 1997 BMW R1100GS since, you guessed it, 1997. I haven't been riding much in the past three years because I was an adult with aging parents. Now, I am just an adult, so I am trying to get road ready again. I love my 1100GS, but I still managed to talk myself into putting a down payment on a 2013 R1200GSW. It's arrival is late. I was originally told I would have had it by now, but production was delayed.
If there are any Colorado women out there who want to ride, let me know. If you are further away and want an excuse to ride to the Rockies, let me know.
AND, I am not really a Diva. Just sayin.'
Old 07-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #2921
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
FWIW, I'm in Breckenridge for the but have been off riding since an accident in April resulting in a broken leg. I just got clearance to start riding again and took out the Vespa earlier in the week. Friday I'll be down in Denver picking up the BV 500 (Piaggio 500cc scooter) from service (brakes, belt, coolant leak) but I'm sticking to paved roads now. OK, the occasional graded dirt since that's a lot of what is around me including a short section leaving my driveway but I'm still rebuilding leg strength after my accident.
cdwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #2922
GSDiva
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
FWIW, I'm in Breckenridge for the but have been off riding since an accident in April resulting in a broken leg. I just got clearance to start riding again and took out the Vespa earlier in the week. Friday I'll be down in Denver picking up the BV 500 (Piaggio 500cc scooter) from service (brakes, belt, coolant leak) but I'm sticking to paved roads now. OK, the occasional graded dirt since that's a lot of what is around me including a short section leaving my driveway but I'm still rebuilding leg strength after my accident.
So, as a scooterist, how did you find this site? Do you do long distance travel?
Who services your scooter in Denver? Erico? Sportique?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #2923
samk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hello GSer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDiva View Post
Count me in. I have owned my 1997 BMW R1100GS since, you guessed it, 1997. I haven't been riding much in the past three years because I was an adult with aging parents. Now, I am just an adult, so I am trying to get road ready again. I love my 1100GS, but I still managed to talk myself into putting a down payment on a 2013 R1200GSW. It's arrival is late. I was originally told I would have had it by now, but production was delayed.
If there are any Colorado women out there who want to ride, let me know. If you are further away and want an excuse to ride to the Rockies, let me know.
AND, I am not really a Diva. Just sayin.'
Hi Diva, I live in mountains just SW of Denver, myself and my F650GS would love to meet you for a ride! If you're OK hanging with the underpowered, that is! I'm fairly booked up next month and half, free in September?
samk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #2924
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDiva View Post
So, as a scooterist, how did you find this site? Do you do long distance travel?
Who services your scooter in Denver? Erico? Sportique?
You seem to have a (common) misconception about scooters. While they aren't usually that good for off-road riding they are very capable bikes. There is a scooter section on this forum http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Erico services ours currently but I haven't been particularly happy with them so I'll probably change next time service is due.

FWIW, this is my ride map of states I've ridden one or more of our scooters in:

The scooter I have in Breckenridge is a Piaggio BV 500 that I've GPS'd at 98mph (crossing Nevada) and still had some throttle left but mpgs suck at that speed. It isn't all that difficult to rack up miles on it. It is what is called a sports tourer in Europe not a city scoot. In 2012 I rode either it or the Aprilia Scarabeo 500from Houston to Washington DC via Natchez Trace, Tail of the Dragon and Blue Ridge in the spring for a conference. I rode from Breckenridge through Rocky Mountain National Forest up to Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis, Walls, over to Lake Geneva for Amerivespa then around the lower part of Lake Michigan, taking the Lake Express Ferry back to Wi. There I went a more northernly route back with Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Cody, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons back. I put approx. 11,000 miles in trips of over 700 miles each on the scoots that year plus another few thousand around town (Houston) or doing day trips like Breck - Georgetown over Guenella Pass around to Evergreen, up Mt. Evans and back to Breck.

Year before Breck through the Utah national parks to San Diego then up the Pacific coast and back through Yosemite and US 6/50 (talk about lonely roads I saw more wild horses than people, cars, trucks and motorcycles combined on those roads crossing Nevada.) Plus a few days in the Twisted Sisters with my brother and a couple of his friends who were riding BMWs and V-Stars. I wasn't the slowest in the twisties either though I'll admit that all of them could have outrun me on the flats but not without getting a serious ticket.

I'm seriously considering entering the scooter cannonball next year depending on when and what route they decide on. http://scootercannonball.com ocean to ocean across the USA with a max displacement of 250cc though unlike many I won't be doing it on a 30+ year old scoot but a 2005 Vespa GTS 250 since I'm not a fan of rebuilding on the side of the road as has happened on more than one occasion with the vintage riders.

Ride reports are on my blog http://cheryldwise.com but I haven't updated it since the DC trip - need to get the trip to Lake Geneva last summer up and the one from California to Houston in March where I rode my son's Sports City back for him since he changed school. Nothing like 1,712 miles on a 250 in 4 days including detours such as Oak Canyon between Sedona & Flagstaff. Hit the rev limiter on it a few times around 88 mph (94 indicated but it isn't exactly accurate and I didn't have a GPS mounted to check actual but it runs about 5-7% high.) Until this week I've been off 2 wheels after an accident at a rally in April but I've been cleared so I'll be riding more after we pick the scoot up from Erico on Friday.

cdwise screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 09:07 AM
cdwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #2925
GSDiva
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
You seem to have a (common) misconception about scooters. While they aren't usually that good for off-road riding they are very capable bikes. There is a scooter section on this forum http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Erico services ours currently but I haven't been particularly happy with them so I'll probably change next time service is due.

FWIW, this is my ride map of states I've ridden one or more of our scooters in:

The scooter I have in Breckenridge is a Piaggio BV 500 that I've GPS'd at 98mph (crossing Nevada) and still had some throttle left but mpgs suck at that speed. It isn't all that difficult to rack up miles on it. It is what is called a sports tourer in Europe not a city scoot. In 2012 I rode either it or the Aprilia Scarabeo 500from Houston to Washington DC via Natchez Trace, Tail of the Dragon and Blue Ridge in the spring for a conference. I rode from Breckenridge through Rocky Mountain National Forest up to Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis, Walls, over to Lake Geneva for Amerivespa then around the lower part of Lake Michigan, taking the Lake Express Ferry back to Wi. There I went a more northernly route back with Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Cody, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons back. I put approx. 11,000 miles in trips of over 700 miles each on the scoots that year plus another few thousand around town (Houston) or doing day trips like Breck - Georgetown over Guenella Pass around to Evergreen, up Mt. Evans and back to Breck.

Year before Breck through the Utah national parks to San Diego then up the Pacific coast and back through Yosemite and US 6/50 (talk about lonely roads I saw more wild horses than people, cars, trucks and motorcycles combined on those roads crossing Nevada.) Plus a few days in the Twisted Sisters with my brother and a couple of his friends who were riding BMWs and V-Stars. I wasn't the slowest in the twisties either though I'll admit that all of them could have outrun me on the flats but not without getting a serious ticket.

I'm seriously considering entering the scooter cannonball next year depending on when and what route they decide on. http://scootercannonball.com ocean to ocean across the USA with a max displacement of 250cc though unlike many I won't be doing it on a 30+ year old scoot but a 2005 Vespa GTS 250 since I'm not a fan of rebuilding on the side of the road as has happened on more than one occasion with the vintage riders.

Ride reports are on my blog http://cheryldwise.com but I haven't updated it since the DC trip - need to get the trip to Lake Geneva last summer up and the one from California to Houston in March where I rode my son's Sports City back for him since he changed school. Nothing like 1,712 miles on a 250 in 4 days including detours such as Oak Canyon between Sedona & Flagstaff. Hit the rev limiter on it a few times around 88 mph (94 indicated but it isn't exactly accurate and I didn't have a GPS mounted to check actual but it runs about 5-7% high.) Until this week I've been off 2 wheels after an accident at a rally in April but I've been cleared so I'll be riding more after we pick the scoot up from Erico on Friday.
Oh, no, no, no, you misunderstood. I am totally impressed with the miles lots of people rack up on their scoots. I have been close to buying one many times, but I would want a large cc scooter with a little heft to it, like yours. Because, I have back issues, I worry about tire size and suspension although I think the Aprilias have larger tires than Vespas. At least they did when I first looked at them several years ago. I will look at some of your ride reports. I've only recently come back to the forum because I wanted to learn what people have been saying about the new 2013 GS, so I missed the scooter forum.
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend.