Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #2926
GSDiva
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by samk View Post
Hi Diva, I live in mountains just SW of Denver, myself and my F650GS would love to meet you for a ride! If you're OK hanging with the underpowered, that is! I'm fairly booked up next month and half, free in September?
September works for me. It's cooler then. I would love to meetup and get away some day in the hills. Let me know when you can do it.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #2927
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDiva View Post
Oh, no, no, no, you misunderstood. I am totally impressed with the miles lots of people rack up on their scoots. I have been close to buying one many times, but I would want a large cc scooter with a little heft to it, like yours. Because, I have back issues, I worry about tire size and suspension although I think the Aprilias have larger tires than Vespas. At least they did when I first looked at them several years ago. I will look at some of your ride reports. I've only recently come back to the forum because I wanted to learn what people have been saying about the new 2013 GS, so I missed the scooter forum.
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend.
Ah, sorry I misunderstood. In Colorado we have BV 500s. Same engine as the Scarabeo but a slightly different body style. The Scarabeo has better suspension and seat than the BV 500 in my opinion. I use an airhawk on the BV for long trips but not on the Scarabeo. There is a newer model BV 350 that has almost as much horse power as the 500 but a more efficient engine that many people absolutely love. Plus its maintenance intervals are more than 2x longer than the older engine. If I were considering buying a new one I'd give it serious consideration. Last week I had breakfast in Breckenridge with a gentleman from Tennessee who was up here with his BV 350.

Both the Aprilia and the BV have 16" tires on the front and 14" on the rear. Stock on the Vespa GTS is 12" but I know quite a few folks who have switched out the 12" stock tires for the 13" Youban wheels the MP3 uses and have been very pleased with the change.

I've got a hip that occasionally acts up which is one reason I ride a step through frame - aka scooter. For the upright seating position is the most comfortable. We used to have a Suzuki Burgman which is a huge favorite scooter for those who have ridden cruisers but I didn't find it as comfortable as the Italian traditional styled ones we own. Its also a pig at slow speeds and moving around the garage but both the 400 (lighter and easier to move around a garage) and the 650 are ones you may want to look at. The new BMW scooter has also gotten good reviews but its step through is so high I figure I might as well ride a traditional motorcycle. Plus its is having some new bike teething issues so I'd wait a year or two before thinking too seriously about one. The BV 350 doesn't seem to be having as many issues and it was sold in Europe for a year before they brought it here.

Come up to Breck while I'm here and I'd be happy to show you ours.
cdwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #2928
AdventureBunny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hello

Well, nobody's been in here in a while but I figured since I was new I would drop in and say hello! I am completely new to riding and just bought my first bike (2013 XT250). I haven't taken my BRC yet so I have just been practicing on dirt roads and parking lots, but it has still been a blast. My boyfriend has a 2012 Tiger 800XC so eventually I would love to graduate to a more powerful bike (maybe next year) like the BMW F700 or G650GS because we plan on going on many adventures together and I'll need to keep up. But baby steps...I am still a little intimidated by the little 250! I am in Southern NH so the season is almost at an end but I plan on having as much fun as I can until the snow hits.

Cheers!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #2929
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,390
Welcome AdventureBunny,

Baby steps is the way to go and soon you will be doing it all.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #2930
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,465
Welcome AB...
Yes start small.. And work your way up...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #2931
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureBunny View Post
Well, nobody's been in here in a while but I figured since I was new I would drop in and say hello! I am completely new to riding and just bought my first bike (2013 XT250). I haven't taken my BRC yet so I have just been practicing on dirt roads and parking lots, but it has still been a blast. My boyfriend has a 2012 Tiger 800XC so eventually I would love to graduate to a more powerful bike (maybe next year) like the BMW F700 or G650GS because we plan on going on many adventures together and I'll need to keep up. But baby steps...I am still a little intimidated by the little 250! I am in Southern NH so the season is almost at an end but I plan on having as much fun as I can until the snow hits.

Cheers!
welcome! that's the perfect way to start

get some good/warm gear and you will find some days you may be able to ride on nice fall or early spring days
Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #2932
AdventureBunny
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
welcome! that's the perfect way to start

get some good/warm gear and you will find some days you may be able to ride on nice fall or early spring days
I have a pretty warm jacket and gloves and will be getting my pants and boots next week. I won't be riding (don't have my endorsement yet) but the BF and I are planning a fall foliage trip up through the White Mountains and into Maine in the second week of Oct, so even on the back of his bike I will need the warm gear! Hopefully we will do a ride report then, should be beautiful!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #2933
AdventureBunny
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Welcome AB...
Yes start small.. And work your way up...
That's the plan! I will admit that it's very hard not to want to push it though
Old 09-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #2934
AdventureBunny
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Welcome AdventureBunny,

Baby steps is the way to go and soon you will be doing it all.
Thanks, I am looking forward to it. But boy there is alot to learn!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #2935
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 641
Welcome! I know when I was starting out, I found this site to be a great resource:

http://www.twowheelfemales.com/forum/index.php

Particularly the new female rider subforum: http://www.twowheelfemales.com/forum...splay.php?f=15

The ladies and fellas on that site are very supportive and offer great advice for n00bz. Just another site to check out in addition to this one.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #2936
KamLeeR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Howdy from Texas!

Just came across this thread, cool!

Howdy everyone!

2009 BMW GSA
2012 KLR 650
2012 KLX 250s
KamLeeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #2937
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,465
Quote:
I have a pretty warm jacket and gloves and will be getting my pants and boots next week. I won't be riding (don't have my endorsement yet) but the BF and I are planning a fall foliage trip up through the White Mountains and into Maine in the second week of Oct, so even on the back of his bike I will need the warm gear! Hopefully we will do a ride report then, should be beautiful!

Once you really get bit by the bug..

LOL.... I laugh ; as it took me 10 years before I made the investment 12+ yrs ago,
you'll be getting gerbings..
It is truly the best investment you'll ever make to your bike...
Warmth without bulking up....
And I have used my gerbings liner in the summer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamLeeR View Post
Just came across this thread, cool!

Howdy everyone!

Welcome ...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #2938
brazen13
woot.

Oddometer: 101
Quote:

Cheers!
Congrats on the new bike! Good stuff! I ride a 650GS and the only bike I sat on before that one was the 250 they use in the course when I got my license 3 years ago. It was a big difference and maybe it was too big of a bike to start with but that's what I had, I was determined and I still remember the moment when I realized I no longer noticed the weight!

I'm still learning a lot and have made a lot of progress in the past year. I even rented a dirt bike when I went to Hawaii - now I want one of those!

Have fun!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #2939
AdventureBunny
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen13 View Post
Congrats on the new bike! Good stuff! I ride a 650GS and the only bike I sat on before that one was the 250 they use in the course when I got my license 3 years ago. It was a big difference and maybe it was too big of a bike to start with but that's what I had, I was determined and I still remember the moment when I realized I no longer noticed the weight!

I'm still learning a lot and have made a lot of progress in the past year. I even rented a dirt bike when I went to Hawaii - now I want one of those!

Have fun!
That's great that you were able to handle the 650GS right from the start! Sadly, I am apparently very slow to "get it". When I am riding around in the parking lot or on the dirt road behind my house I feel confident and ride well, but once I even think about getting on the road I lose it. I forget everything and panic. It's very frustrating, but I am glad to have the little bike right now because I would probably freak out even more if I had something bigger and more powerful. The boyfriend says I just have to practice a lot more until everything becomes instinctive and then I won't panic as much, so for now I will just be happy with parking lot drills until I can take the BRC.

Riding a dirt bike in Hawaii sounds amazing! You should get a dirt bike...why not?!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #2940
brazen13
woot.

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
That's great that you were able to handle the 650GS right from the start! Sadly, I am apparently very slow to "get it". When I am riding around in the parking lot or on the dirt road behind my house I feel confident and ride well, but once I even think about getting on the road I lose it. I forget everything and panic. It's very frustrating, but I am glad to have the little bike right now because I would probably freak out even more if I had something bigger and more powerful. The boyfriend says I just have to practice a lot more until everything becomes instinctive and then I won't panic as much, so for now I will just be happy with parking lot drills until I can take the BRC.

Riding a dirt bike in Hawaii sounds amazing! You should get a dirt bike...why not?!
If anyone else had seen me on the first ride I did after my course... I cannot BELIEVE I didn't kill myself or anyone else. Oh my goodness.

I'm sure you're not slow to get it - when I say I made a lot of progress this year, no kidding. I FINALLY understand leaning/turning. It is a lot of practice and I don't get to ride as much as I would like because most of the rides he does I couldn't do but don't really have anyone else to ride with so I feel slow to get better.

And yes, I have done (and still do) a lot of freaking out because when a 650 ends up on your ankle, it's heavy and it hurts! I am planning to take a slow skills course because that's where I'm really awkward lol! I had the bike at my mom's for almost three weeks and she lives across from a college so while I was there I went into the parking lot and practiced. Helped a lot!

I'm so excited for you! It's so much fun and when you have those moments where things click it makes it that much better!

I agree about the dirt bike - maybe next season, we'll start getting serious about it!