Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2008, 02:23 PM   #1336
Buzzy
Dudley Lives

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty sister
Twisty, your horses are beautimous!

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #1337
twisty sister
CRACK pot

Oddometer: 2,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy
Twisty, your horses are beautimous!
Why, thank you very much!
I love 'em!
I only have the one now...("Claymont"..one of many Ex race horses)
He is layed up with a fracture at the moment...
Sadly,4 legged transportation is WAY more $$$ than 2 wheeled!!

Rest easy, Dagwood ..You were My flawed yet perfect soul mate.
and... Mike, Amanda and Ben.
You are loved and missed.
KTM 640 Adventure
twisty sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #1338
ADVChic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommersgirl
how do I wade through all the brands of gear? I am A medic/FF so I scrape people off the road for a living. The best in protection is very important to me. So girls give me the DL on all this stuff please!!!
Hi Mommersgirl! I think BMW Apparel is the best protection out there. The CE Armor is very good and most of the apparel is Kevlar reinforced. A sixty MPH skid will only slightly scuff the fabric, over 80 MPH will cause it to melt slightly but it stays in tact. Their clothing is attractive, although that is secondary to me. I have the Airflow Jacket for summer and the Savanna for Fall, Winter, Spring. Their Contour II Boots are great. I bought ALL of my gear on eBay. They run small so a four fits more like a two. You may be best to find a BMW Dealer and try on a few things for size.

Ride safely!

08 DL650 V-Strom | 04 R1200C Montauk & 09 K1200LT (husband's) | 05 XB12S Lightning (sold)
ADVChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #1339
ADVChic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
ADVChic in Ohio

Hi! I am glad to find this string. I just started riding two years ago at 43. I bought my husband an R1200C Montauk for his birthday - it had been about 20+ years since he had ridden so we took the MSF course together.

My first bike was a 2005 Buell XB12S Lightning (great bike). I put 3.5k on it and sold it a year later (the first of this month). It was a GREAT first bike, but my legs are really long (32.5 inseam) so it was a bit too small for long rides. I am waiting to pickup my 2008 DL650 V-Strom tomorrow and am SO EXCITED!

We love to ride the twisties of Southern Ohio - 678, 78 to 555 to Marietta Rocks! Oh, I forgot, the Ohio folks on this site want everyone to think Ohio sucks for riding .

Thanks for the link to the video for picking up bikes. I am hoping I don't need to use that knowledge, but common sense tells me otherwise! I just hope it doesn't happen until I get my engine guards on!

Ride Safe!

08 DL650 V-Strom | 04 R1200C Montauk & 09 K1200LT (husband's) | 05 XB12S Lightning (sold)
ADVChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #1340
mommersgirl
whatthe$@%!wasithinking?

Oddometer: 15
Great info on gear.

advchic, thanks for the info. I am putting together different pieces of gear. Got new headwear, ugh, mucho denero!! Nothing wrong w/ ohio, its just that its not CO. (just kidding) you and the hubby enjoy the new bikes together!
mommersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #1341
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty sister
Re: picking up a dropped bike.
You should NEVER use your back to lift anything...use your quads (thigh muscles),
as demonstrated in Skert's video.
I have used this method to lift all sizes of bikes..it works.
It works for nearly anyone because your are utilizing LEVERAGE, and not strength.
The key is finding the "sweet spot" that works for you in regards to placement of your butt on the seat.
Once you find what works for you, it pops right up!
Too low, it won't work, too high...it won't work.
Having a spotter the first few times helps.
Good luck!!
True so true. If I can do it after having broke my neck and not hurt myself I think it is the best way to do it. Work smart not hard!
Although Skert gave me permission to NOT do it when out on the road by myself but to wait tell someone happens along.

Sir! Dear Sir can you help little ol'me please?

Practice makes perfect!

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #1342
mommersgirl
whatthe$@%!wasithinking?

Oddometer: 15
Jena and twisty, I guess I will have to figure out the pick up sooner rather than later!!!

Twisty, my mare is out of commision w/ her 2nd bowed tendon. I hope your horse has a good recovery. As for the $$$$ part (pit) i feel your pain!!
mommersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #1343
twisty sister
CRACK pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommersgirl
Jena and twisty, I guess I will have to figure out the pick up sooner rather than later!!!

Twisty, my mare is out of commision w/ her 2nd bowed tendon. I hope your horse has a good recovery. As for the $$$$ part (pit) i feel your pain!!
Thanks, Mommersgirl!
I am a sucker for a "tall dark and handsome " horse!
Just wish my bank account felt the same...
(Is that your horse in the avatar? Pretty!)

As far as picking up the bike goes, I would try to practice at least once, so you have the feel of the technique before you actually need it!
Re: Gear: Olympia, tourmaster and Firstgear make some FANTASTIC textile riding gear that is budget friendly,and well made. I have literally "tried em all" over the years. AND, they seem to fit the female form better than most!
Make sure you try them on and SIT ON A BIKE to see if they work for you while in riding position.
Good luck and happy riding!

KTM 640 Adventure

twisty sister screwed with this post 07-30-2008 at 01:01 PM
Old 07-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #1344
TrailSong
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I'm a Noob also.

I've met a couple of you gals at Chick Fest 2008 in Salida. I have been riding for a couple years, have been in a couple post with my husband Wes Weber and now have my own login.

I love to ride dirt! I'm not so much for the pavement. What a great thread. I'm always looking for other gals to ride with here in Colorado.

Thanks,
Janet
(Golden,CO)
TrailSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #1345
kelamity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Gear advice..

I really like Rev'it for jackets and pants. I have the Airforce jacket and Challenge pants for the summer. It's pretty pricey but the quality and fit are really good- especially if you're on the small side and can't find stuff that fits. I also like Fieldsheer a lot. They have some good cold weather riding gear. I'll probably just stick with those 2 brands since I know my sizes. The Rev'it gear has a very accurate size chart. Where I live..New York City, there is virtually nothing for me to try on so I end up ordering everything online and exchanging for different sizes. THere are like 4 women's motorcycle jackets in the whole city, 1 pair of pants and 2 pairs of gloves. And there's only one size in each of those. Boots.. forget it. I just ordered the Daytona Ladystar boots...gotta love buying boots without trying them on. Check out Revzilla.com. The customer service is awesome. They have a sale going on now and lots of gear for women.
kelamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #1346
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 442
Question On the subject of buying gear

What do you ladies know about waterproof boots that come in smaller sizes?
I'm about a Euro 38-39 (around a 5-6 in US men's shoe sizes), and I have a really nice pair of road boots (Sidi Rose), but now I'm doing more adventure riding, I'd like something that is a bit better suited to off road, but is still waterproof.
Most of the boots I've seen that would be suitable - Sidi Discoveries etc either don't come in small enough sizes, or I can't find any sizing information about them.
Rosie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #1347
kelamity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie!
What do you ladies know about waterproof boots that come in smaller sizes?
I'm about a Euro 38-39 (around a 5-6 in US men's shoe sizes), and I have a really nice pair of road boots (Sidi Rose), but now I'm doing more adventure riding, I'd like something that is a bit better suited to off road, but is still waterproof.
Most of the boots I've seen that would be suitable - Sidi Discoveries etc either don't come in small enough sizes, or I can't find any sizing information about them.
I don't think such a boot exists! I'm a total gear head and have done research on this matter. I'm trying the Ladystars as an adventure touring boot because they're waterproof and have a 31cm shaft height and also have a 1 1/2 inch heal INSIDE the boot.. Should be getting them tomorrow. I'm also a size 38 U.S. 7 1/2. The BMW Santiago boot comes in smaller sizes but they're unisex so they don't really fit right. Daytona makes a boot called the Trans-Open, but also unisex. Daytona's are really expensive now because of the weak dollar.
kelamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 PM   #1348
twisty sister
CRACK pot

On the subject of waterproof boots:( Do they really exist?)
I carry a pair of rubber "over boots" ( First gear makes 'em) and slip them over any boots I happen to be wearing..they work great, are portable ( roll em up and tuck in tank bag or whatever) inexpensive, fit any boots you already have, are replaceable and you don't have to wear hot "waterproof" boots when you don't need em'!
Just my .02 cents

KTM 640 Adventure

twisty sister screwed with this post 07-31-2008 at 12:31 PM
Old 07-31-2008, 01:22 PM   #1349
anishbee
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Boots

Ladies...

I have the Sidi Canyon Goretex Boots that I find very comfy and I love. Ankle protection, nice tread and a nice height. I have average 8-1/2 womens sized feet (40 Euro) but they say they go down to a 37 Euro. I wear thin socks or thick socks with them and I am never swimming in them, they fit great! The calf can be adjusted to thin or wide with the velcro flaps and the foot can be adjusted with their little clip thingy. They are not on the women's category but on the street category on the Sidi Motorcylce website (link posted below). I think I paid $200 for them new last year.

http://www.motonation.com/store/pc/v...idproduct=1261

My 2 cents!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #1350
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailSong
I've met a couple of you gals at Chick Fest 2008 in Salida. I have been riding for a couple years, have been in a couple post with my husband Wes Weber and now have my own login.

I love to ride dirt! I'm not so much for the pavement. What a great thread. I'm always looking for other gals to ride with here in Colorado.

Thanks,
Janet
(Golden,CO)
Welcome
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote