Thumb Go Hard....

Good Luck for the Dakar man.....
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #95
Gunner45
Out on the trail

Oddometer: 170
Go get em!

Have a great rally Si. Were pulling for you!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #96
Richard ORS
UK

Oddometer: 21
Stage One - Completed

Stage One: Lima - Pisco, 263 Km

Team Delta Kunststoffe Husqvarna UK riders, Simon Pavey and Don Hatton, complete the first stage with out incident.

Despite Simon having a dose of food poisoning last night both he and Don have completed the first day to Pisco. For the full story and latest photos click here or paste http://www.simonpavey.com/stage-one-they-are-off/ into your browser.

www.offroadskills.com
www.simonpavey.com
Richard ORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #97
Flanman13
Dinosaur

Oddometer: 27
Oz Fan.

Simon,
Great to see you at Dakar again. Go man Go.
TCK,
Really enjoying the quality of the vid and pics. Great stuff.

Good luck guys. Like they say ' a dream for those left behind'
Flanman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:19 AM   #98
Richard ORS
UK

Stage Two - Already Dakar is proving too much for some

Stage Two Ė Pisco to Pisco Ė 328km.

Simon has a strong second day on the first real stage of the 2013 Dakar Rally as the race begins to claim itís first victims.

The first real stage of the 2013 Dakar saw racers tackle the first difficult dunes of the race, with tricky navigation, high speeds and some dangerous sands catching many riders out and ending the event prematurely for many.

Despite the difficulties that many encountered, Delta Kunststoffe Husqvarna rider, Simon, rode consistently in a stage that saw the leader board flipped around. In claiming 54th place, Simon moved up a few spots in the overall standing and continued to avoid mistakes and trouble.

Don Hatton, the teamís second rider also had an uneventful and solid day in the sand as he came to grips with riding a new bike and bedding in with sand riding. Stage two saw Don roll into the end of the stage 163rd, a solid result for the Canadian as he looks to overcome his previous bad luck.

Simon Pavey Ė ď I really enjoyed the stage today, Iím not a massive fan of the big speed stuff but actually it was really fun. I didnít push hard at all, I just cruised along at a good pace and ended the day with a decent result. We are so early in the race, there is no need to push and make mistakes. A few people went out of the race today and I can see why. The stage had some dangerous bits and it was quite hard to see them. There were a few areas with sand Ďwavesí, the ground had baked hard there too and you just couldnít see them. I think everyone had a few scary moments in them.

There was also some difficult navigation at about km 70. I missed the waypoint at first and had to turn back to find it. I think a few people made the same mistake too. The bike felt great again today, itís just so easy to ride, and we have done a good job with it. There were a few difficult dunes today, the kind of thing that in the past has proved challenging but today I cruised through everything.

Don Hatton Ė ďToday was exciting. It was a tough stage, lots of sand and really hot. The medics said it was 39 degrees in the stage. The sand was a little intimidating at first; some of the dunes were really big and soft. I am so much more comfortable with the bike, it amazing in the sand. It was working really well; I wouldnít change anything on it. Itís only the second day that Iíve ridden it but I feel so at home already on it. Over the stage I was able to push on a little bit more, but my goal is just to finish this race

There were a few dangerous moments on the stage today too, I passed a few abandoned bikes from people crashing but the worst moment was when the lead cars caught me. Out of the ten that came past, only two used their sentinelís, thatís terrifying.

Iím looking forward to getting these first few sand days behind us so we can get into the terrain that I do know and can ride. Tomorrow will be another hard day but Iím feeling really good about everything.Ē

Stage three has the rally heading south toward the famous city of Nasca. The stage is completely sand and will prove a difficult challenge for the whole race. Starting out gently for the first 100km the sand will quickly become extremely difficult.

Stage Two Results.
56. Simon Pavey - 03:16:50
164. Don Hatton - 05:03:56

Overall Standings.
54. Simon Pavey - 04:03:45
163. Don Hatton - 06:20:16

For the latest photos click HERE or paste http://www.simonpavey.com/galleries/ into your browser

www.offroadskills.com
www.simonpavey.com
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #99
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
like this one- people taking their time on the dunes!

82 xr 500 - love those old thumpers

92 XTZ 750 rally style
izom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #100
coaxial
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
As a fellow Canuck I'll be cheering that Don finally gets his finishers medal
Have spoke with Don a few times and rode with him a bit (great pilot!)

Cheering him on that he rides safely across the finish line for a well earned Dakar finish

Current: '91 DR350s mondo enduro commuter!
Past: V-Strom'd to Alaska & Mexico
coaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #101
coaxial
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Bad news

Damn, looks like bad news from Don's team:

Quote:
OMG Don is Hurt
Hit by a truck in the dark. Bike broken in two. No GPS. Stuck out in the dark. People are with him. He can barely talk. Afraid he might have broken his leg. 12 miles from the end of the Special.

Natalie will post as she hears. she is calling Paul Green now.
Let's keep our fingers crossed he is okay.

Live updates on http://rallyraidcanada.com

Current: '91 DR350s mondo enduro commuter!
Past: V-Strom'd to Alaska & Mexico
coaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #102
BIERSKI
Life Is Good

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by izom View Post
like this one- people taking their time on the dunes!

Great Photo.

GOOOO SIMON
Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #103
Richard ORS
UK

Stage Three - Brings bad luck....

Stage Three - Pisco to Nazca - 328 KM

Team Delta Kunststoffe Husqvarna UK suffers some bad luck in a difficult and dangerous stage three as the race makes itís way toward the famous city of Nazca.

Stage three proved to be another difficult stage, with big dunes, soft sand and fesh fesh causing many of competitorís problems over the stage. The seemingly short day of 280km proved to be deceivingly difficult.

Despite the nature of the stage, Simon had another steady day as he rode within himself to take 69th place on the stage. Uncomfortable with a lot of the terrain during the stage Simon elected to take the cautious approach as the stage was littered with hidden holes and steep dunes.

However, Canadian Don Hatton was involved in a freak incident. Working through the difficult sands of the stage Don was involved in an incident with a truck that saw some damage to his bike. The incident appeared to have damaged his gear selector, leaving him with difficulty changing gear. Don struggled on through the difficult riding attempting to nurse his bike to end of the special stage but the selector finally stopped choosing gear just 4km from the end of the special. Despite hours of trying to get out of the sand, his bike stuck in neutral, and attempting to convince the organisers to tow him the last part of the stage Don was forced to retire at 1:00 am local time.

Simon Pavey Ė ďToday was tough again, some of the riding was technical, more so then we have had so far. I wasnít comfortable to ride fast today at all, I really took my time. I stopped twice for a few minutes to fix a problem with my hydration pack as well and on Dakar stopping for just a few minutes costs you 20 places.

The terrain on the stage was treacherous again today, there were lots of hidden dangers out there and it was the type stage that could easily bite you. I was lucky to be relatively near the front of the race today too, there was a chunk of fesh fesh toward the end of the stage, but when I got there I was still able to pick a clean line and ride on the crust.

Once again my bike felt really good, Iím finding it strange to have a bike thatís so good for racing, itís much more than Iíve had in rallyís before and because it wants to be raced it can be a little tiring. Itís a new style of Dakar that has developed over the last couple of years; it takes some adjusting to get used too. The rally still hasnít really begun yet though, weíve got eleven days left so weíll just take each day as it comes.Ē

Stage four of the Dakar is the first long stage of the race, made up of a tough 288km special stage followed by a gruelling 429km liaison to reach the town of Arequipa.

Stage Three Results.
70. Simon Pavey - 03:26:11
Don Hatton - Retired

Overall Standings.
56. Simon Pavey Ė 07:29:56
Don Hatton - Retired

For the latest photos click HERE or paste http://www.simonpavey.com/galleries/ into your browser

www.offroadskills.com
www.simonpavey.com
Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #104
Camelz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Bad news ref Don.

Well done Si, sounds like you have got the right approach, hopefully today will go well.
Camelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #105
ChubbyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Good attitude Si, where's the pics llew?
ChubbyThumper is offline   Reply With Quote