ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Osprey! OP
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,811
Colorado GPS questions (Garmin 60csx)

A Garmin 60csx popped up on Craigslist the other day at a reasonable price and I jumped on the GPS bandwagon. I've been eyeing these units for a few years but they were a little steep.

I'm now thinking about buying the Garmin Topo maps for Colorado. Since this is so popular, does anyone in the Boulder area have a microSD with Garmin Topo on it? Would you be willing to loan it to me so I can try it before I buy it?

Primary use would be hiking, backpacking, hunting, and off road motorcycle riding. It looks like GPSFileDepot has a few alternatives which may also work. Has anyone tried using the various free Colorado maps? I'd like to hear about your experiences.

Muchas

p.s. image stolen from some russian website.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
I'm now thinking about buying the Garmin Topo maps for Colorado. Since this is so popular, does anyone in the Boulder area have a microSD with Garmin Topo on it? Would you be willing to loan it to me so I can try it before I buy it?
I have the Garmin Topo US 24K maps for the Mountain Central (includes CO) and Mountain North regions on an 8GB microSD card for my Garmin 62s (the 62-series replaced the 60-series units) and I've been really happy with them. I think that the maps might be locked to the specific device, but I'd be happy to pop the whole 62s unit in the mail to you when I get back in town next week for you to give it a try.

James Adams screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 10:45 AM
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Osprey! OP
a.k.a. Opie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I have the Garmin Topo US 24K maps for the Mountain Central (includes CO) and Mountain North regions on an 8GB microSD card for my Garmin 62s (the 62-series replaced the 60-series units) and I've been really happy with them. I think that the maps might be locked to the specific device, but I'd be happy to pop the whole 62s unit in the mail to you when I get back in town next week for you to give it a try.
Wow, that's really nice of you James. Let me see if anyone local has a unit I can try, but otherwise I'll take you up on it. Or maybe find an excuse to ride down that way.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,864
Honestly, the only time I use the topo maps is on the snowmobile (off-road/off-trail).

For dualsport riding, CityNav's the mapset to get. A bunch of the trails at Rampart are on there and routable. Not just the road, I'm talking the actual OHV trails.

CityNav's got gas stations, restaurants, hotels... topo has a bunch of really useless POI's. But it does have topo lines.

Basemap, as you've probably found out, has next to nothing:

Topo has topo lines, but the mapset's rarely updated so a lot of the roads/features are out of date. The POI's are ... not that useful.

whereas with CityNavigator, the roads are a lot more detailed. Nearly all of them have names, the map is routable (turn-by-turn directions rather than heading/distance), and the POI's are useful.

I have both mapsets, if you'd like to test-drive either or both of them I can get you set up.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,692
Did you try these yet? They are free.
http://www.miscjunk.org/

They are built on most the same USGS data as the paid ones.

I use multiple layers for my mapsets and use the free maps as my base topo - some of the layers being my custom maps based on MVUMs sit on top. Works great for my 60csx.

Ive used them for the past 3-4 years and have never had any problems - sometimes they are actually more accurate than the paid versions. YMMV

Let me know if you want to go down the rabbit-hole of how to create your own custom maps - fun stuff for GPS/map geeks.
COHVCO
TPA

Raul Duke screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 12:06 PM
Raul Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,207
I have 'em here if you still need 'em. Err, at least I think I do...haven't tried 'em yet, but I have the 2 cards on my kitchen counter.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Osprey! OP
a.k.a. Opie

Thanks y'all. Sounds like I should try the free stuff first, perhaps it's the way to go. I'll get everything running for a little adventure on Saturday or Sunday. Will report back afterward.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,735
The Garmin 24k maps are not locked to a particular device. Without going into details it is not unheard of for people to share these by passing the DVD around.

The City Navigator maps are locked to a specific unit. Sometimes these maps are easier to use than the topos.

Both the CN and 24k maps are "routable". This means you can create routes that will follow roads by putting waypoints a key points along a desired path.

There is another version of Topos - 100k Topos that are not locked to a unit but are not routable. I routinely use all three map types for planning and riding.

You can use the Garmin BaseCamp software, which can be downloaded for free. I use that and the older Mapsource software that used to come on the CDs and DVDs.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,916
The trail tech micro sd of Colorado will be at my house this week if you want yo try it. Not sure if it can be copied.

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,321
City Nav sucks offroad except on well known frequented trails. Most of the Utah and NM trails, forest roads and dirt riding we do doesn't showup on CityNav. Offroad I could care less about routing, thats done before starting up the bike. CityNav is good for pavement use, I'd load up the free Topos, they work well and like previously said, don't limit yourself to one mapset.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,398
I usually keep a couple different free topo maps on my gps and toggle between them if in doubt; sometimes a road will show up on one, but not the other. City Navigator is all but useless for exploring in most of the areas I ride.

I've found the free maps to be pretty good.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I usually keep a couple different free topo maps on my gps and toggle between them if in doubt; sometimes a road will show up on one, but not the other. City Navigator is all but useless for exploring in most of the areas I ride.

I've found the free maps to be pretty good.
+1
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,557
I can't read that little screen worth a darn so it doesn't make a very good "map" for me I uses Mapsource on my computer and have topo, city nav, and metorguide all loaded in mapsource. Works great for planning rides and determining my route. Once I have my route figured out I can load it into the gps and let it guide me on the route. The topo maps are non-routing so if you can't find your trails on city nav or metorguide you won't have routing. I often load the topo maps on my gps but not sure I ever used them except maybe to try and determine what trail I was on. There is a lot of other useful information on a GPS also, like heading, altitude, millage, speed, and so on. Even the topo map will point you in the right direction to go if you can set a way point for where you want to be. It won't tell which trail you need to take though. Although, one thing I haven't tried is following tracks using the topo, I'm guessing that would work.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
one thing I haven't tried is following tracks using the topo, I'm guessing that would work.
That's pretty much the SOP when following a gps track in the boonies. Following a route in that situation is pretty tough to do, there's not allot of detail with routes like there is with tracks.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
That's pretty much the SOP when following a gps track in the boonies. Following a route in that situation is pretty tough to do, there's not allot of detail with routes like there is with tracks.
Cool. going to have to find me some tracks Actually I think I have some, just need to go ride.