ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #31
Raul Duke
DROC
 
Raul Duke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 1,696
If you cannot autoroute on the maps themselves, you will be limited to 50 routes of 50 pts each on uploaded routes - fine for road riding, but sucks in BFE.
__________________
Help save our trails. Please support:
AMA
BRC
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #32
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End
 
NMTrailboss's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 5,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Duke View Post
If you cannot autoroute on the maps themselves, you will be limited to 50 routes of 50 pts each on uploaded routes - fine for road riding, but sucks in BFE.
On the 60CSx using Mapsource 100K Topo, I usually draw routes up to around 200 via points each which works well. Not sure how many total you can upload to the GPS, but I had about 23 routes of 150-200 via points each loaded for my Utah trip this summer.
__________________
NMTrailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #33
Raul Duke
DROC
 
Raul Duke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
On the 60CSx using Mapsource 100K Topo, I usually draw routes up to around 200 via points each which works well. Not sure how many total you can upload to the GPS, but I had about 23 routes of 150-200 via points each loaded for my Utah trip this summer.
If they were routes, Im guessing they were dumbed down to 50pts when you did the upload to the unit.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240803

My understanding is the limit is 50 routes of 50pts each.
__________________
Help save our trails. Please support:
AMA
BRC
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #34
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]
 
SnowMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: I LIVE IN A GIANT BUCKET
Oddometer: 17,874
"Routes" are highly dependent on the mapset you have and the routing settings and algorithms on the GPS.

Two waypoints, A and B, might route one way on a Garmin, and using the "same" settings, route you a different way on a Magellan. Using tracks as a breadcrumb trail is going to be the same regardless of what unit you're viewing them on.
__________________
Spewer of the poignant non sequitur
SnowMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #35
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End
 
NMTrailboss's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 5,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Duke View Post
If they were routes, Im guessing they were dumbed down to 50pts when you did the upload to the unit.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240803

My understanding is the limit is 50 routes of 50pts each.
I have never had a route limit to 50 via points. It seems they are talking about auto-routing functions in that thread which I am not using...don't know if this has anything to do with the 50 point limit or not. I am only drawing routes to follow via point to via point not caring whether it is on a road or not. In the second post, he states "Direct or "off-road" routes can have 250 waypoints..." which seems to be about what I get +/-. When drawing out the routes, I usually start looking for an ending point when I get near 200 via points...sometimes a little over 200, sometimes a little under. I do know that all of the via points transfer to the GPS and can be seen and used as long as I keep the routes in the 200-250 via point range. With 200+/- via points, I can usually draw routes of 80-100 miles of DS riding with pretty good detail (obviously less if drawing for single track). This usually works out to 2-3 routes drawn for a days riding depending on how closely I follow the roads and how long the ride is.
__________________
NMTrailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #36
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End
 
NMTrailboss's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 5,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Two waypoints, A and B, might route one way on a Garmin, and using the "same" settings, route you a different way on a Magellan.
This would only be true if using auto-routing functions though, right? If you were just following a given route from via point to via point as you drew it out on Mapsource this would not matter, no?
__________________
NMTrailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #37
Raul Duke
DROC
 
Raul Duke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 1,696
Understanding Routes
MapSource can generate a route from one location to one or more waypoints, addresses, intersections, or Points of Interest. MapSource shows routes as colored lines on the Graphic Map. Routes you select in the Routes tab or on the Graphic Map are highlighted in yellow and include arrows to show the direction of the route.
After you have created a route, you can use the Route Properties window to edit the route by adding, removing, or changing the order of the points along the route.

Route Tips:
  • You can create routes in MapSource or transfer them from a Garmin GPS device.

  • The points within a route are called called Vias. See Editing Route Properties for more information.

  • In addition to auto-routes (routes that follow streets and highways), MapSource allows you to create direct routes (straight line, "as the crow flies" routes). See Setting Route Preferences for more information.

  • MapSource generates a list of directions for each route. You can view and/or print this list by clicking the Directions tab in the Route Properties window. See Editing Route Properties for more information.
  • Routes appear in the Routes tab on the left side of the screen. You can save routes in a file on your computer. See Saving Your Data for more information.
For more information on routes, see the following topics:
Using the Routes Tab
Creating a Route Using the Route Tool
Creating a Route Using the Route Properties Window
Creating a Route to Selected Waypoints
Editing a Route
Viewing a Vertical Profile
Setting Route Preferences
Working with Avoidances
__________________
Help save our trails. Please support:
AMA
BRC
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #38
Raul Duke
DROC
 
Raul Duke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
I have never had a route limit to 50 via points. It seems they are talking about auto-routing functions in that thread which I am not using...don't know if this has anything to do with the 50 point limit or not. I am only drawing routes to follow via point to via point not caring whether it is on a road or not. In the second post, he states "Direct or "off-road" routes can have 250 waypoints..." which seems to be about what I get +/-. When drawing out the routes, I usually start looking for an ending point when I get near 200 via points...sometimes a little over 200, sometimes a little under. I do know that all of the via points transfer to the GPS and can be seen and used as long as I keep the routes in the 200-250 via point range. With 200+/- via points, I can usually draw routes of 80-100 miles of DS riding with pretty good detail (obviously less if drawing for single track). This usually works out to 2-3 routes drawn for a days riding depending on how closely I follow the roads and how long the ride is.
Its always confused me as to how they use the term "points" and how they relate to tracks, active logs, and routes (not to mention via points). I do think you are correct withthe 250 limit on via points..... I think...
__________________
Help save our trails. Please support:
AMA
BRC
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #39
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End
 
NMTrailboss's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 5,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Duke View Post
Its always confused me as to how they use the term "points" and how they relate to tracks, active logs, and routes (not to mention via points). I do think you are correct withthe 250 limit on via points..... I think...
I just know that this works for me as far as drawing and following routes on the 60CSx and I know I can use 200ish via points per route. I still think there is something I'm not understanding about navigating using tracks, but maybe it is only more beneficial if using auto-routing maps.

Thanks for the routing tutorial!!
__________________
NMTrailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #40
FatChance
Road Captain
 
FatChance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Durango, Colorado, USA
Oddometer: 10,015
Everyone has their own opinions about tracks vs. routes just like no one can define what Adventure riding is. For some people, adventure riding is loading a dirt bike onto a trailer and trailering it somewhere, riding an obscure singletrack, then trailering it home. Others might load up their new GS/ADV and take a two month trip from Florida to Alaska just hitting convenient dirt roads once in a while, others pull a trailer with their TW200 to go camping, others might just take afternoon rides to explore the area they live in and never leave pavement, others just sit in their mom's basements and post to Jo Momma.

Depending on how you use your motorcycle you might be better off using tracks or direct routing or turn-by-turn routing. One isn't better than the other but they all have their own advantages for certain situations. I've been using Garmin GPSs for years and my preference is most often turn-by-turn routing because of the places we ride when my wife and I take our GSs on multi-week rides up to Idaho and Montana each summer. Others who do more off-road/singletrack prefer tracks because the trails may be more free form with a lot of decisions based on local conditions or they trails they ride may not be route-able. It also depends on the maps you are using and what capabilities they have. Some people are happy seeing a blue line on a map that they follow others like the device to let them know how far away the next road turn is and what to do when they get there.

I haven't had a need to share where I've gone over the years so the portability of how to get from A to B and someone else being able to use it is a non-issue. Properly set up for the planned ride, tracks or routes can both be used by other people. My wife rides with me and she has my old 276C on her bike and I have a Montana 600 on mine and I've never once had a problem with the two units recalculating our routes differently. Tracks work well to retrace where you or someone else has gone and routing works well to plan on going on roads you haven't been on before.

As you use your GPS over time you will find out what works best for your needs if you keep an open mind and try different methods of using its abilities. Many of us get used to using tracks or routes and it sounds like one is better than the other from some of these posts, but really they each have situations where one works better than the other.
__________________
Pain in the Butte Ranch
Durango, Colorado

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 11:30 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #41
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]
 
SnowMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: I LIVE IN A GIANT BUCKET
Oddometer: 17,874
I log tracks damn near everywhere I ride. The cool thing is you can select-all, pull them into Google Earth or wherever, and see everywhere you rode in an area over a season.

Another cool thing you can do with those tracks... geo-tag your photos. Track log is a list of date/time-stamps with lat/long/elev attached to them. Cameras time-stamp photos. Ther'es software out there that'll pair the data between the two.

For places I rarely ride and don't know well, it's nice to go back and look at tracks/pics and see what's where. Build a saved track with a few points over the main trails and push them to the GPS.
__________________
Spewer of the poignant non sequitur
SnowMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #42
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End
 
NMTrailboss's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 5,570
Nice post Dale! Thanks for that!

I've always used routes / direct routing and that seems to work well for me. I just noticed that it seems most people are using tracks so I was trying to figure out what the advantages (if any) are if NOT using auto-routing. I guess I just need to make identical routes and tracks and try both on my next ride!!
__________________
NMTrailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #43
FatChance
Road Captain
 
FatChance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Durango, Colorado, USA
Oddometer: 10,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Nice post Dale! Thanks for that!
__________________
Pain in the Butte Ranch
Durango, Colorado

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #44
Pomo
gonzo
 
Pomo's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: El Desierto, NM
Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
Has anyone tried using the various free Colorado maps? I'd like to hear about your experiences.
I have a 60 CSx and I've only ever used maps from that site. I'm too cheap to pay for Garmin maps for every state I visit. It varies state-to-state how good the maps are. Some don't show city/town names on the GPS screen, some do (it's usually pretty easy to tell either way from a confluence of roads). Some have super accurate backroads, others are a little coarser, and some have roads that must have existed over 20 years ago, but aren't there any more. They all have great topo accuracy, as far as I've bothered to check. As I recall the CO topo maps they host are pretty good, though.

In my experience 99% of the time they have the road that I'm on/looking for (e.g. TAT, CDT, solo rides I map out using Google). The other 1% a little common sense (which honestly is all I have) and a paper map got me from A to B.
__________________
Stubborn and Stupid

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #45
Raul Duke
DROC
 
Raul Duke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Everyone has their own opinions about tracks vs. routes just like no one can define what Adventure riding is. For some people, adventure riding is loading a dirt bike onto a trailer and trailering it somewhere, riding an obscure singletrack, then trailering it home. Others might load up their new GS/ADV and take a two month trip from Florida to Alaska just hitting convenient dirt roads once in a while, others pull a trailer with their TW200 to go camping, others might just take afternoon rides to explore the area they live in and never leave pavement, others just sit in their mom's basements and post to Jo Momma.

Depending on how you use your motorcycle you might be better off using tracks or direct routing or turn-by-turn routing. One isn't better than the other but they all have their own advantages for certain situations. I've been using Garmin GPSs for years and my preference is most often turn-by-turn routing because of the places we ride when my wife and I take our GSs on multi-week rides up to Idaho and Montana each summer. Others who do more off-road/singletrack prefer tracks because the trails may be more free form with a lot of decisions based on local conditions or they trails they ride may not be route-able. It also depends on the maps you are using and what capabilities they have. Some people are happy seeing a blue line on a map that they follow others like the device to let them know how far away the next road turn is and what to do when they get there.

I haven't had a need to share where I've gone over the years so the portability of how to get from A to B and someone else being able to use it is a non-issue. Properly set up for the planned ride, tracks or routes can both be used by other people. My wife rides with me and she has my old 276C on her bike and I have a Montana 600 on mine and I've never once had a problem with the two units recalculating our routes differently. Tracks work well to retrace where you or someone else has gone and routing works well to plan on going on roads you haven't been on before.

As you use your GPS over time you will find out what works best for your needs if you keep an open mind and try different methods of using its abilities. Many of us get used to using tracks or routes and it sounds like one is better than the other from some of these posts, but really they each have situations where one works better than the other.
Well said. There are limitations of each, and it comes down to personal preference as well as using the right tool for the right job.

And on top of all that, you can throw in your own custom mapsets which can take you one step further if points, routes, or tracks dont quite do what you want them to do. When we do the Monkey-Butt route each year, I have found it is just easier to build a custom mapset for the ride. When we tried to use track files or routes in the past there were always people in the group that would muff them up somehow. Mapsets seem to be the most foolproof for that purpose - and the easiest to follow with the most detail. Basically you say "Day 1 follow the blue line. Day 2 follow the green line. Day 3 follow the red line." I go one step further than that even and make custom exe mapset installers so that someone just needs to run the exe and it will just install the Monkey-Butt mapset to thier mapsource/basecamp. In the long run, its made my life much easier right before the ride - either it installs or it doesnt.

Lots of possibilities with these units.... it is really only limited by what you learn about them.
__________________
Help save our trails. Please support:
AMA
BRC
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014