ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #16
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Worked well for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
google the 5 gallon bucket trap. I've used them for years. Got another little sob a few hours ago.

That worked about the best for me. I had it outside near where I thought they were getting in which only works until it starts freezing over night. I had 3 mice and 2 chipmunks in one 'set', after that there were a lot less scratching noises in the walls.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 AM   #17
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
. I had 3 mice and 2 chipmunks in one 'set', after that there were a lot less scratching noises in the walls.
Do the chippies come inside? I've never had one visible inside, dunno if they were in the walls. I think ours stay out under the garden shed.

Oh yeah, got another mouse today, sticky trap. I don't like using poison. Some say it is inhumane but even aside from that, then they go die someplace where I don't (or can't) spot them, and they rot & stink. Or if I do find them much later it is gross. One year we did try poison and weeks later ended up finding 6 dead concealed among stored stuff in the basement; knew what general area by the smell.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.

viverrid screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 03:31 PM
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:02 AM   #18
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,346
I like Henry's idea best
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #19
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 View Post
What traps seem to be most effective?

I just use the standard spring loaded wooden base traps. Pack the trigger with peanut butter so they have to work at getting the bait.

Also have used the bucket traps in my storage building. In freezing weather I pour in some rv anti freeze.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #20
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,541
squirrels in the attic

The farm house in Vermont had resident squirrels in the attic during the winter months. Would scurry around every night. For 10 years. Probably the same two squirrels. Mice came and went. Part of the "charm" of living in the country.

Great reason to live in NJ! The mice get poisoned by the toxic dumps, and the BUGS are destroyed as soon as they take flight! Air is too toxic for them! Windshields and face masks stay clean all summer long!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #21
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
The JAWZ plastic ones work best for me. They're good about 90% of the time. I find the wooden ones with the metal trap are about 50%-60% (mouse gets away). Unfortunately the JAWZ are pricier.

I'm going to try the 5 gallon bucket trick. Just have to get some cheap peanut butter. The natural kind would just fall off.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #22
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,711
Timely thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
I just use the standard spring loaded wooden base traps. Pack the trigger with peanut butter so they have to work at getting the bait.
Yep. That's what I do. Also you need to file the end of the snap retainer. I don't know the real name for it, the thing that kills the mouse. The wire arm that holds that in tension has a little burr on the end that goes into the bait part. File that burr smooth and you get a hair trigger.

I need to set my traps tonight.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #23
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Indoor Chipmunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Do the chippies come inside? I've never had on visible inside, dunno if they were in the walls. I think ours stay out under the garden shed.

.................................................. ................

They certainly do here! My wife likes to sit out on the patio and read, with the door open. They seem to actually check to see if we have left 'the easy way' in for them or if they have to go through the foundation on their many trips each day. In our elderly farm house, I have had rodents chew through wiring that was 'in their way', so far it has only happened when I ran antenna and speaker wires through existing 'holes' and there have been no actual 'electrical issues but........
We didn't have many mice or chipmunks one winter, life was good until something large(r) and furry ran by as my wife was in the basement doing laundry. Two days later I had a weasel in the 'Have-a-heart' trap. I moved him to somewhere more 'rural'. I don't know if he would have found enough to eat to stay all winter, heck, I would have fed him but she just didn't want him (her?) roaming the house.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Acrobatic mice.

My wife was sitting on our 2nd floor balcony, when a mice ran diagonally up the exterior siding to the eaves. We have wood siding.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #25
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
It IS indeed the season!

We had one of our lights in the 1st floor bath stop working last fall. Mice had chewed right through the Romex & didn't get zapped. Had to open up the wall to find/fix that one.

Watched a red squirrel climb the side of the garage today & then disappear into the soffit through a new hole in the aluminum vent. He's next.
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #26
V8
Nightrider

Oddometer: 9,021
It's gonna be a cold one tonight.
2012_0622AA
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #27
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
That worked about the best for me. I had it outside near where I thought they were getting in which only works until it starts freezing over night. I had 3 mice and 2 chipmunks in one 'set', after that there were a lot less scratching noises in the walls.

Bruce
+1 on putting the trap OUTSIDE. Otherwise you just draw them in the house/garage.
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #28
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
Yep. That's what I do. Also you need to file the end of the snap retainer. I don't know the real name for it, the thing that kills the mouse. The wire arm that holds that in tension has a little burr on the end that goes into the bait part. File that burr smooth and you get a hair trigger.

I need to set my traps tonight.
Bees you evil bas'did!

Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #29
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,442
runnin' 9 traps in the shed, so far the old standby victors are doin' better than the tomcat ones. Even with the warning sign, they still keep coming, I'm over 25 this fall so far........

MZcountryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #30
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,346
Pissed Warning!!!!

Just be careful, do NOT use antifreeze in the trap if it is someplace that pets can get to it. The sweet smell of the Ethylene Glycol attracts dogs and cats and if they consume it, causes kidney damage, resulting in more deaths annually than rodent baits like D-Con. EG poisoning is difficult to diagnose so by the time it is diagnosed, it is fequently too late and the pets die of kidney failure (not a pretty way to go...).
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote