Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
MymoJoe OP
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,739
speakin of pommy heaps of shhhiiit

Electrical fault

I have a 2005 Triumph Tiger, it seems to loose charge from the battery, I have replaced the battery and it seems to still loose charge. After Doctor Google, I found out how to test for a leak/lose of charge - disconnect the negitive lead to the battery and put a test light on the earth lead and the other end on the battery, I got the light on the test light, then read a little futher and Google informed me that if I start pulling fuses one at a time, it will allow me to isolate the circut causing the issue, done this and narrowed it down to fuse number 8 which is the dash light fuse (5amp fuse) I have now pulled the dash apart looking for an obvious rub mark or burnt wire ect, but nothing.. any tips on where to now, would be fantastic...

Joe

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:03 AM   #2
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Trade it in ?

Ride it more ?

Invest in a trickle charger ?
Scaredofthedirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,001
Could it be the clock, or the anti-theft device (if it has one)?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
Maxyb
Falling over slowly

Oddometer: 104
Or even a small light of sorts

i know of this instance happening in a jaguar.. a switch stuck on slowly draining the battery from a light on the back of the seat hidden by a sheepskin seat cover..

How many mA is the draw without ignition on?
Maxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #5
MymoJoe OP
Ride Ride Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxyb View Post
Or even a small light of sorts

i know of this instance happening in a jaguar.. a switch stuck on slowly draining the battery from a light on the back of the seat hidden by a sheepskin seat cover..

How many mA is the draw without ignition on?
no draw showing on vault meter with the ignition off.. yeah the clock remains on with the key off, I didnt think of that. Thanks for pointing that out farqhuar.

Trade it in ? NO.. great road bike

Ride it more ? I do heaps

Invest in a trickle charger ? got one.. I rode the bike for three days, it was playing up over the three day weekend.. got home the next day and it wouldn't start and only had 7volts.. so new battery fitted after charging it and the next day, it is labouring to start and only had 11volts..

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Early series Triumphs (think basically everything up to the end of the 955 series motor) would always flatten the battery if left unused for prolonged period hence suggestions 2 or 3 should make it a nonissue.

Approx. 2000 - 2006 model 955s (speed triples and daytonas in particular) have some issues with rectifiers. What you describe is what I had last time with my Daytona before replacing the rectifier.

As for the trade in. As someone who has gone from a 2006 Tiger to a 800xc, do it you won't regret it :)
Scaredofthedirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #7
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
Joe, have you tested the rec/reg to see what it is putting out from idle to redline?

Can you check the amount of battery acid in the battery?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:22 AM   #8
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofthedirt View Post
Early series Triumphs (think basically everything up to the end of the 955 series motor) would always flatten the battery if left unused for prolonged period hence suggestions 2 or 3 should make it a nonissue.

Approx. 2000 - 2006 model 955s (speed triples and daytonas in particular) have some issues with rectifiers. What you describe is what I had last time with my Daytona before replacing the rectifier.

As for the trade in. As someone who has gone from a 2006 Tiger to a 800xc, do it you won't regret it :)
Yep, got a mate with a 2005 1050 Sprint ST, lasts around a week sitting idle before the battery dies. He is using a solar powered trickle charger (as it is parked in the open without access to a power point) and it seems to be doing a good job of keeping the battery charged.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:22 AM   #9
MymoJoe OP
Ride Ride Ride

Hmmm ok

I will check the REG REC.

I had a loan 800XC for a week. It was better in the dirt than my 955 but was lacking in torque on the road especially 2 up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofthedirt View Post

Old 04-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #10
MymoJoe OP
Ride Ride Ride

How?

As u may have worked out, I have no idea on electrics.

How do I test the reg rec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Joe, have you tested the rec/reg to see what it is putting out from idle to redline?

Can you check the amount of battery acid in the battery?

Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #11
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
Sent you a pm.

You will need a multimeter.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,474
+1 on the rectifier-regulator, assuming you've eliminated all possible drains on the battery when parked; if the RR is slowly dying it might still be delivering anything up to about 13.5 volts at any one time - which isn't actually as much as you really need.
The older bikes used a shunt-type rec-reg - which can get too hot to touch when doing their thing - mostly, that's shedding surplus power from the alternator. More modern Mosfet types don't get as hot - and so far are proving more reliable and are increasingly found as standard OEM fitment.
This RR failure is a common issue with Italian bikes that start with 'A', which is the only reason I know anything at all about the poxy things...
Have a look at your rec-reg and see if the serial number (in white) starts with an S - if so, it's a shunt type; if it starts with FH, it's a Mosfet type.
Depending upon the space you have available, there are several FH-types already appearing at bike-breakers, as they became common on some Honda and Kawa road-bikes from about 2006.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Curryinahurry
Born 2 Ride

Oddometer: 527
Hey Joe,

I replaced my reg/rec on my Tiger as well. It just started acting up before it went bust. That was 2 years ago.

Since my illness, The Tiger was in my garage locked up and not started for months. It would still start up 2-3 months on but then after a year it just gave up the ghost. Mate of mine Pat took it home, put in a new batt and she started in the first go... now he likes it so much, I am a bit worried if I will get it back from him once I start feeling better!! Hehe

Don't lose heart mate. Get her fixed. You will still love riding her!!

Cheers

Bala
2006 - Yamaha R1 - SOLD
2005 - Yamaha R1 (Disappeared into thin air!!)
Curryinahurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
OzJuJu
Team Barracuda

Oddometer: 741
Swap it with Trev's XT660Z and you wont look back
Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
MymoJoe OP
Ride Ride Ride

My reg rec?

My reg rec or battery? Either way a fair swap for a tenere;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJuJu View Post
Swap it with Trev's XT660Z and you wont look back