User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #226
colm
Hopefull

Oddometer: 154
Team Fundraising

What is happening to the Tamworth Team this year. Two years in a row they have raised more money than any other team. Maybe Team Inverell can go round them this year.
colm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #227
buckscreek
AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer: 780
frustrating.....

still waiting on one bloody bearing for my headstock......doing lots of little jobs while waiting ( instruments/controls/headlight/blinkers/cable routing, etc) but the more I do, the more I'll have to un-do when the bearings arrive.... and then there's the saga of the LED tailight/brake light combo that apparently needs a resistor, and me being the auto-elecrical dunce that I am, it's all trial and error. You can guess which way the trial:error balance leans!

Work is proceeding on Hillbillies bike #3, an early XT500, I'm not sure what it's going to come out like, last time I saw it, it was heading down the street/bobber track......

Regards,

Joe & Co.
".....we are committed to monitoring the weather and the road conditions with all available resources available so we will be allocating all resources available to us to ensure that the weather and road conditions are monitored to provide a route that will have had all possible monitoring......." colm, mayor of Airlie Brake
buckscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #228
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,280
3 weeks to go guys!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #229
ckjackson1
High Country Red Neck

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
3 weeks to go guys!!!
Yep, not long now OldDog.............

Can't bloody wait
Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #230
buckscreek
AUTODIDACTIC

Bearings have arrived, so the bike can go together this weekend yay team!
".....we are committed to monitoring the weather and the road conditions with all available resources available so we will be allocating all resources available to us to ensure that the weather and road conditions are monitored to provide a route that will have had all possible monitoring......." colm, mayor of Airlie Brake
Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #231
Luushen
Victorian

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs View Post
Must say we MISS the Postie Mafia
sorry i cant make it this year

but i will register as a ghost rider again

EDIT: what colour are the T shirts this year Pez oL Mate ?

coz i hardly wear the orange and green ones, bring back the black with white spokes

Luushen screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 08:28 PM
Luushen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #232
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,700
Well thanks to Michael at Castle Hill Motorcycles, number four cylinder on the trusty XR460/4 now has a spark plug secured in it

So this weekend I will be fitting up the new brakes, fixing the wiring harness, blinkers and fresh fuel in the carbies.

Might even look at fitting some pannier frames and saddle bags

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #233
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luushen View Post

EDIT: what colour are the T shirts this year Pez oL Mate ?

coz i hardly wear the orange and green ones, bring back the black with white spokes

Old 03-08-2013, 01:34 AM   #234
buckscreek
AUTODIDACTIC

was wondering what was happening with the XR460 Pezz, good to hear its a goer!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #235
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luushen View Post

Hmmmm no Postie Mafia again this year eh? Well all I can say is the ride will be a whole lot less weird without you guys along!

Joe, Got any more pics of that beastly beemer? I can't wait to see that thing in action!

Cam, Yup, we're gonna have ourselves a good ride up there, dunno if you got my email but I've checked out the route as far as Coolabah and it has maybe a bit too much tar but the dirt is good and the beer is cold

Perry.....you look positively dashing in purple, it really is your colour....goes with the eyes...

Oh and news just in from the the shed....I've ahem.....accidentally fitted the wrong forks so back into the shed we go for a quick refit.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #236
buckscreek
AUTODIDACTIC

Hi Bill,

wrong forks? how? they fit? go up and down? the wheel fits? I reckon you're good to go!

Might have a pic or two of the BEEMERNATOR in action before the end of the weekend.........
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #237
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckscreek View Post
Hi Bill,

wrong forks? how? they fit? go up and down? the wheel fits? I reckon you're good to go!

Might have a pic or two of the BEEMERNATOR in action before the end of the weekend.........
G'day Joe, yeah they looked good to me, actually was quite happy with em until a certain person who we won't name here....lets call him Pezz.....pointed out that my machine was not period correct and had 38mm XR250 forks fitted rather than the proper 43mm jobbies. How he picked a 5mm difference in one pic is surprising! Anyway the bike is now concourse........do we have an award for concourse bikes????

Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #238
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

No photos
No prizes
The washer of the left mudguard bolt doesn't look period either!!!

Old 03-09-2013, 03:13 AM   #239
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs View Post
No photos
No prizes
The washer of the left mudguard bolt doesn't look period either!!!
No no its right I tell ya, the '88 - '90 model XR's washers were zinc plated, after '90 they were painted.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #240
buckscreek
AUTODIDACTIC

and then the smoke came out.......

Well today was supposed to culminate in me riding the BEEMERNATOR at least a couple of times around the paddock. Brother in law (the family electrician-type person) came by after lunch to help me sort out the last of the electrics. Marrying a KLX650 front end complete with headlight and instrument(s) to the BMW K100 hasn't been real easy, lotsa sophisticated wires and stuff on the Beemer, decidedly few unsophisticated wires and stuff on the KLX.

So, we were working away at sorting the last few wires, rooting around in the harness at the front end when all of a sudden smoke started pouring out of the ignition wiring AND out of the big black box full of relays in the Beemer! Bloody bugger shit fuck, switched off the ignition and ripped the wiring out. HOT HOT!! Smoke was still coming from the box of relays, so off with the lid and pull another fat red wire out. Smoke stopped.

Now I have a universal rule with electrickery, the wires keep the smoke in; when the smoke comes out, the thing stops working........

Turns out that somewhere back in its' past the Beemer had an extra wire added from the headlight wiring at the front to the tail light wiring at the back......same circuit....dunno why...... but it was live and had rubbed through on a frame tube. Because the headlight/tail light is hard wired, it was live to the ignition switch, so cooked it all. So, a couple of hours of tedious stripping the relevant bits of the harness, running new wiring and taping it all back up, fitting a couple of new plugs and rewiring the ignition, we were right back where we started.

A while later I've managed to get all the idiot lights I need to work except for the neutral light as the BMW way of indicating neutral seems to be as complex as you could possibly make it. They use a gear selector indicator wired through a circuit board; there is no neutral switch I can see on the wiring diagram... anyone care to correct me? I reckon I'll be able to tell when it's in gear, it'll be going forward .

The upside is that with the extra wire now removed, the SUPER SUPER BRIGHT LED tail light is now just a normal brightness LED and the brake light works all proper. Go figure.

In hindsight, it was really lucky that this happened in the shed with no petrol tank fitted, it would have been real interesting if the wiring had caught fire under the fuel tank out on the road somewhere!!

So, tomorrow arvo I'll fit the new steering head bearings and maybe, just maybe, I'll go for a ride

buckscreek screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 02:34 PM