Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #331
ckjackson1
High Country Red Neck

Oddometer: 144
I think it was actually called a "Splice", after a few days of a Viabrating XR between his legs he was just completing the feminine experience......
Old 04-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #332
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckjackson1 View Post
I think it was actually called a "Splice", after a few days of a Viabrating XR between his legs he was just completing the feminine experience......
ya bastards!

Actually now I know why Julie was cracking up so much, I kept calling that thing a "split". I don't care what you guys say though they're bloody tastey. I'm going to be drinking these at all future SAR events, join me if you dare!
OldDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #333
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Heres a few pics

Crossing the Macquarie marshes near Sandy Camp

Check out the sidecar on Rusty's beast!

A likely pair

Suckin the gut in for that compelling pose, nice work Pezz

The Beast!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #334
micknmeld
Always in trouble

Oddometer: 67
Keeping the thread alive, here is the ride report I did on the Old Bull Trailriders' site.

What a crazy 6 days on the bikes!
So much has happened during those 6 days a full report would end up like Lord of the Rings!

Charley and I did the ride from Wauchope on 2 NX650’s with an initial combined purchase price of $1200.

With a planned leaving time of 12 noon Wednesday, I was just in the process of getting kitted up when my phone rang, it was Toes, our support driver on the Phone. With him having left before us, I had a feeling this wasn’t a call I wanted to take, as it could only be bad news. I was correct as he informed me that the Ford Transit van had broken a timing belt 70kms from town and it was going no where!

Not a great start! I then had to run around getting his ute and trailer up to speed to take on the trip. I then loaded up the NX on the trailer and headed west to meet up with the stranded support vehicle. We quickly transferred all the gear into the ute and trailer, I unloaded the NX, kitted up and I was finally on the road headed west on the bike!

As we were planning to meet the main ride on day 2 at Nyngan we only had to make it to Tamworth on day 1. Charley and I set a cross country route via Nowendoc in order to avoid the main roads and both bikes ran smoothly all the way and we saw some country new to us both. First fuel stop was at the thriving metropolis of Nowendoc

From there we headed off towards Nundle where we got a bit directionally challenged and it wasn’t until I saw Chaffey dam that I realised we were headed in the wrong direction.

We finally made it to Boony’s place, just before dark and promptly had a few beers to celebrate with the rest of the boys that were joining us on the ride. Maybe one or two more beers were consumed than there should have been.

A few of the bikes and the support ute

In order to make the long run across to Nyngan and early start was required and 6.30am saw us riding off.

Yes I know some clown put a KTM sticker on my headlight

A rest stop somewhere near Barraba

The old KDX 175 was flat out at 80kms ph and had self oiling brakes!

Damus was all thumbs up

The dust off the road trains was something to be seen!

AS we neared Nyngan the clouds rolled in.

About 5kms from Nyngan the heaven opened up and we finished the day in flogging down rain.

Thankfully I had booked a cabin and we didn’t have to camp in the rain.

Another big night on the juice ensued and plenty of laughs were had, thankfully a takeaway bottle of Wild Turkey was too expensive at $65 and we told them were to stick their bottle. Otherwise if we had gotten the bottle, we would have gotten real messy I think. With another big day ahead on the bikes a hangover of monumental proportions is probably not the best thing to start the day with.

Charley and I were sweep riders for the Nyngan to Cameroo section and with 40+ bikes in front of us it was going to be a long day! Especially when a DR250 took off ahead of me at 25kms per hour in a cloud off acrid smoke and making a bizarre hissing noise! Thankfully the DR only made it 700 meters up the road before expiring and I made the call that it was going on the trailer as I wasn’t going to follow that for 400+ kms at 25kmph!!!

Especially when some of the roads were so straight they just disappeared off into the horizon

Being sweep riders gave us a chance to pull up and take a few photos from time to time

The offending DR250 on the trailer,paint something KTM orange and you can only expect issues!

Pez on the mighty 460 four! This thing has the sweetest note at full song!

Matty on the Mighty SR250, what a dead set legend!

The ride leaders, TB and Lefty

We finally rocked into Bourke at about 2pm for lunch at the pub before doing the last 150km dash to Camaroo Station. That’s where things really started to get interesting.

With only a few hours of daylight left in order to reach Cameroo Station (-29.243167,145.139802 paste the co ordinates into Google maps to get an idea of the location). We still had a 150km run up a rough rutted and sandy road, that had the potential to throw all manner of wild life at you including Emus, wild pigs, goats, huge cattle and of coarse those brainless Kangaroos.

About 40kms up the road, up ahead in a haze of dust I could see a flashing light and as I got closer I could see the whole group of riders stopped on the side of the road. My thoughts were “this can’t be good”, and I was correct. I could see a rider laying on the road and another off to the side getting treatment.

A Kangaroo had taken one of the crew out and his bike cartwheeled, landing on the handlebars of the bike following him. Both riders were not in real good shape, with arm and rib injuries. With no phone service, Lefty jumped on his KTM and headed back towards Bourke trying to get into phone range in order to call an Ambulance to convey the lads back to Bourke Hospital.

With daylight ours quickly running out and still another 100kms to go through a veritable zoo of kamikaze wildlife, it was thought best to get the group going again. The group took off with Charlie sweeping the group on his own and I was to wait for Lefty to return and the two of us would make the final run together.

This 100km run, I am not embarrassed to say was the most intense 100kms of my life, we were belting along at speeds that would be deemed to fast for a shit box NX650, on a road that was throwing surprises at us left right and centre, bearing in mind I was riding a 22 year old bike that I had initially only paid $200 for!

We finally rolled into the Cameroo Station just on dark, to be greeted with one of the most welcomed beers in my life!

As it turns out Camaroo Station isn’t the most exotic location I have been to in my life, with a over supply of sand, dust, flies and a myriad of creatures taking refuge in the toilet bowls, I am glad my wife didn’t decide to come along!

the following day a lay day, we were left to our own devices to explore the Station. We decided we would go and find the river, where one of the guys decided to take the station’s rowboat for a bit of a run. Not a smart move on his behalf as no sooner was he out in the middle the entire group on the bank realized we had an never ending supply of cow patts to bomb him with!

After we left the river we headed 8kms across the station to an artesian bore to check out the hot water bubbling up out of the ground,

It was here that one of the boys ran over a small wild pig , he managed to not crash and stop in time to capture it before it got up and ran away, all the while I was waiting for it’s mother to come tearing out of the bush and have a go at us.

The rest of the afternoon was spent fairly casually, a few beers and a heap of laughs topped off the afternoon nicely

Saturday night was the big social night, with presentations, auction and a band. Before the festivities started we all lined the bikes up for a photo shoot.

Charley was in his element!

It isn’t all that often you get to see four NX650’s in the one place these days

As a matter of fact the NX was the most popular bike on the Scrapper run, there was no other make or model that had four of the same bike there!

Peter rode his NX down from Brisbane

On Saturday night we partied on until late in the night. Just on midnight it started to rain, like it very rarely does in the desert! I headed to bed with thoughts of a 700km trip ahead of us in the morning, some of it, on what was very slippery sticky red mud!

The run home.

We had over 1000kms to ride to get home and only two days to do it, so the plan was to put a big one in on the first day and hopefully get about 700kms done by dark.

So we headed off at about 8am and chose to do the run to Bourke down the road to Fords Bridge. As I mentioned before it had rained the night before and the red clay road was slick to say the least. That combined with all the wildlife with no road sence made for a very entertaining ride for the first 100kms to Fords Bridge. From there it was a relatively easy run to Bourke except for one crazy Emu that tried to take me out before getting itself hung up in a fence.

Our first job after fueling up in Bourke was to rescue our mates that got taken out by the Kangaroo from Bourke Hospital. A broken arm above the elbow on one and a few broken ribs on the other had slowed the boys right up!

With the boys loaded up in the car we headed off with Brewarrina our first scheduled fuel stop. We didn’t give that fact it was Easter Sunday a thought and the only fuel station in town was closed! Thank fully we still had a bit of fuel on the support vehicle, enough to get us to Walgett, the next town 100kms away!

Just before we got to Walgett, I noticed the tachometer was starting to do weird things with the needle bouncing about wildly! I didn’t worry too much about it and pressed on. After we fuelled up in Walgett, we were headed towards Wee Waa and the NX all of a sudden started miss firing intermittently and then would run fine for a while, then do it again. The periods between the misfires started to shorten until it was about 10 – 20 seconds apart. Because the Tacho started to go crazy leading up to it, I presumed I had a serious electrical problem. Most likely the CDI as it was one we had rebuilt using Brian Hare’s technique. With this in mind I just pressed on trying to get the bike as close to Tamworth as I could as I knew I could get some assistance there.

Meanwhile, behind me Charley was having his own problems with the NX he was riding throwing teeth off his rear sprocket at an alarming rate of knots. Not much we could do at this stage but press on and limp the bikes to Tamworth. Just as we were leaving Boggabri, I heard a bang and a tyre squeal behind me, Charlies NX had thrown its chain and he did well to stay on the bike. We put the chain back on the best we could on a sprocket with only a dozen teeth on it and tightened the chain and we were on the road again. But really limping now as my NX was missing so badly I could only get 80kmph out of it. As it got dark we rolled into Gunnedah and decided that would have to do and we pulled into a Motel opposite my Uncle’s house.

Pizzas and beers were smashed down after we convinced the Pizza delivery girl to go get us some beers and cigarettes. The boys bunked down in the Motel and I took the opportunity to catch up with my uncle.

Early the next morning, saw us swapping the CDI’s over on the bikes to see if that was the problem. Nope! Still misfiring. OK take the tank off and have a poke about. I reseated the earth lead for the coil and changed the spark plug while I was at it. First press of the button and she fired up and ran sweet! You little beauty!

We still had to deal with the stripped back sprocket on the other NX, so Boony came across from Tamworth with a trailer and we loaded it up and took the bike to his place, in the meantime he did a ring around and managed to score us a brand new sprocket for the NX on a public holiday!!!! Matt from Bikes and Bits the Honda dealer in Tamworth opened up for us and not only did he have the sprocket in stock he said to consider it a donation. What a champion bloke!

WE then headed to Boony’s place and swapped out the sprocket and chain. The chain had seen better days and was missing a heap of rollers, so a 2nd hand one was found in Boony’s shed and we were good to go!

As you can see the sprocket was way past it’s service limit!

This left us a 3 hour run home that was pretty uneventful as both bike ran great! However a half hour from home the heavens opened up on us once again and we finished the ride in the flogging down rain!

We ended up doing 2375km over the 6 days, here is a rough map to give you an idea of where we went.

micknmeld screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 02:33 PM
micknmeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #335
colm
Hopefull

Oddometer: 159
Found near Comeroo

One KTM/Suzuki sidecover that sparkles in the moonlight.
colm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #336
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by colm View Post

Will let the owner know he was looking for that when we got to Bourke thanks

TB
Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #337
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by colm View Post
Col
Can you take it to OldDogs, he can bring it here and I will get it to Yellowchops

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #338
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,719
nice shot, eh Mallee

Pezz_gs screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 08:50 PM
Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #339
keychange
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Scrapheap Adventure help required

I have a 1982 Yamaha AG 175 that I purchased for $350 and have since spent a few hundred on seat, shocks and other gear. I stripped it down for trail bashing and now I have to rebuild it back to roadworthy ( including the wiring ). I have found it very difficult to identify and source parts for this bike as it is a cross between a CT a DT125 and a Ural.

I am not asking for sponsorship although any contributions will be happily accepted. But I am asking if anyone has some suitable parts to hep me get this roadworthy. Particularly forks and wheels, maybe clutch or gear box parts would be comforting to have in my spares

My Yammie goes ok and I have replaced little end, piston and rings but it would be great to have some spares.

At the end of the ride I will decide if I want to try again the following year but either way I do commit that when I have finished with the event in whatever year I will tidy the little Yammie up and sell on ebay with all proceeds going to the same charity.

If you are interested in the ride have a look at their page www.facebook.com/scrapheapadventureride.

keychange screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 07:33 PM
keychange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #340
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,968
You do know this event was on last weekend, right!Dont worry you have a whole year to get ready, I'm sure you will get plenty of support.
I did it last year, that was in the Snowies,THIS year, last week, it was at back of Bourke
Good luck with it all, great event to support
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #341
yellowchops
Hates Sand

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs View Post
Col
Can you take it to OldDogs, he can bring it here and I will get it to Yellowchops
Cheers everyone, I need the side cover to keep the bike original.

Took to it with the Gurnie today and the fuel tank sprung a leak! Had been bogged up along the bottom seam.

Bloody KTMs, I think next year I might get a Suzuki.

I believe Yamaha manufactured the early Husquarvarnas?

Or was it Honda and the Husabergs?

Looking at forming a larger team next year. If two and a half of us can do $4 grand, what can we do with 20 of us!
yellowchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #342
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowchops View Post

Took to it with the Gurnie today and the fuel tank sprung a leak! Had been bogged up along the bottom seam.

!
Bloody hell Garaham the fun just never ends with that bike mate. Have you considered painting it the same colours as the Titanic for next year? Might have better luck........
Old 04-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #343
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowchops View Post
Get a tube of the two part Araldite from Bunnings, works well on fuel tanks [well it did for me anyway].

I used the "5 minute- everyday use- easy mix- rigid bond", those are the words on the tube, from memory there are two different "5 minute" ones.

I built it up in about three thin layers, allowing 24 hours in between, then left it to fully cure for another three days after the last coat [the advantage of owning two bikes ].

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #344
buckscreek
AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer: 843
$3.50 tube of superglue

Hey yellow chops!

I fixed my fuel tank with a $3.50 tube of superglue at Jerrys Plains on the way to Comeroo, worked like a charm, instant fix, back on the road in no time. Also used the same tube to fix a fuel tap spigot in Glennie's bike, again a no hassle fix and back on the road in a hurry. I've still got some in the tube, do you want me to lend it to you? You could send back what you don't use I'm glad you found the sidecover mate, it would be a shame not have the full monty set of "tactile glitter series KTM orange" body work!

buckscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #345
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by keychange View Post
I have a 1982 Yamaha AG 175 that I purchased for $350 and have since spent a few hundred on seat, shocks and other gear. I stripped it down for trail bashing and now I have to rebuild it back to roadworthy ( including the wiring ). I have found it very difficult to identify and source parts for this bike as it is a cross between a CT a DT125 and a Ural.

I am not asking for sponsorship although any contributions will be happily accepted. But I am asking if anyone has some suitable parts to hep me get this roadworthy. Particularly forks and wheels, maybe clutch or gear box parts would be comforting to have in my spares

My Yammie goes ok and I have replaced little end, piston and rings but it would be great to have some spares.

At the end of the ride I will decide if I want to try again the following year but either way I do commit that when I have finished with the event in whatever year I will tidy the little Yammie up and sell on ebay with all proceeds going to the same charity.

If you are interested in the ride have a look at their page www.facebook.com/scrapheapadventureride.
Hey KC

No need to edit your OP. You're a proud grand dad and your words are true.

I have my own little scrapper so I share your experiences.

Easter is family time for us and back o Bourke a bit to far to travel. Maybe 2014.

SJ
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Sleepy John screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 03:11 AM
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote