User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
patanga OP
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 161
Ignition modules.. Who's who!!

Gentlemen... Is there any consensus from those in the know as to who has the better aftermarket ignition module to suit airhead systems; i.e. Motorrad Elektrik / Euro Motoelectrics / Thunderchild?... Another brand of manufacturer is Transpo sold by Rocky Point Cycle. Which is preferred these days?

"BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"

http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/

patanga screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 02:20 AM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,297
Also known as the ICU or ICM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Largiader
Replacement ICMs are available from the aftermarket (Motorrad Elektrik and Rocky Point Cycle), but I don't know which version they are equivalent to. One such replacement is the Transpo BM300.
The one with the turquoise lettering is meant to cover all those before it and is the last in BMW's own development line. Snowbum has the usual detail, once you find it!

boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,039
I installed the "heavy duty" ICM from Motoraad Elektrik. When starting with the old ICM it would fire on one side only for a bit and then catch on the other side but with the new unit it fires on both sides immediately, even when cold. Has something to do with how the unit handles the dwell. I don't really understand how this is handled but it seems to work.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
I installed the "heavy duty" ICM from Motoraad Elektrik. When starting with the old ICM it would fire on one side only for a bit and then catch on the other side but with the new unit it fires on both sides immediately, even when cold. Has something to do with how the unit handles the dwell. I don't really understand how this is handled but it seems to work.
Snowbum said
Quote:
If your bike is hard starting, you may have a problem with the early version of the Ignition Control Module, located under the fuel tank. Versions of these that HAD the problem are coded by paint markings, of PINK...and (OR) WHITE.
describes that unilateral starting behaviour. It's close to half way down this page.
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Ignition.htm

boxerboy81 screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 05:23 AM
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
It's been a while since I looked into this, so sure to get corrected. But on bikes with kick starters, there was a feature in them that powered up the ignition system for a few seconds to allow easier kick starting before it saw engine rotation. So if you have such a bike and ever plan on using the kick starter it's worth looking into.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

After seeing just how well the new heavy duty ICU works I think it foolish to try and use an earlier version or worse a unit from junk yard car. It may get you out of a problem while on a trip but should not be considered a permanent fix. Just my opinion.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
It's been a while since I looked into this, so sure to get corrected. But on bikes with kick starters, there was a feature in them that powered up the ignition system for a few seconds to allow easier kick starting before it saw engine rotation. So if you have such a bike and ever plan on using the kick starter it's worth looking into.
Supposedly, the later turquoise lettered ones still cover all previous versions.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
"I think it foolish to try and use an earlier version or worse a unit from junk yard car."
That is soooo true. This Spring the module failed on my old GS out in the Nevada desert. I can't fault the bike, as it was the original module from 1988, however that turned out to be a very, very expensive breakdown.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81 View Post
Supposedly, the later turquoise lettered ones still cover all previous versions.
I didn't mean to indicate the turquoise units weren't any good. It just gets very confusing with all the different versions of the unit.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
I didn't mean to indicate the turquoise units weren't any good. It just gets very confusing with all the different versions of the unit.
I didn't interpret the comment that way.

I'm unsure if any aftermarket versions equate to the turquoise ones?

It seems the turquoise units cover them all, so if that is known the confusion should be removed. No need to consider any other sort as the updates are all inclusive if the lettering is turquoise, making the others obsolete unless an owner is absolutely aware of what is suitable for his/her vehicle.

To compound the confusion, I suspect the part numbers over the years might even be the same???
Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Snowbum seems to indicate that the numbers are the same even though changes were made.

On the unit that was on my 82 RS when purchased, and a spare I picked up, on E-bay the numbers ended in 100. 100 was not listed in Snowbums rundown of the various units . This is possibly the reason my unit didn`t work correctly. Seems odd that the spare I purchased had the same number though. I guess I`ll keep these two units as emergency spares.