Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Newmudman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Damaged choke cable and crankshaft diagnosis

Greetings from the Philippines.
I have a 2005 lc4 adventure. It has about 4000 km on it and purchased it last August. Because I did not check the battery installed (imarflex brand) i used the bike with that battery. of course it had difficulty starting. it did not have enough power to crank the engine and the local mechanic says because of that it damaged my starter gear bearing and starter gear. I've installed a new bearing and gear and a yuasa battery 10 s model. I noticed the improved difference but it still would not start in one click most of the time (in the mornings its never one click) plus you have to give it some gas. I also noticed that when im driving and start to slow down sometimes the engine dies. I had another mechanic check the bike and he says that the metal end of the choke cable is damaged which causes gas to continue to flow into the carbs. He also thinks that camshaft is almost busted because of cranking it with a weak battery. He recommends that these be changed. Needing your help in confirming this diagnosis because I can't believe that the camshaft has to be changed especially after only running 4000kms.
Thanks for your help.

Cheers.
Newmudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Hi Newmudman, sorry about your problems. I think you need to work through these problems individually and fix one thing at a time as your choke cable isn't related to your battery/starting problems.

Firstly the 'new' battery you have install is probably a Yuasa YTZ10S. This battery has 190 CCA Vs the YTZ14S that has 230 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) that my bike came with. Your battery is physically shorter at 93mm VS my battery at 110mm but all other dimensions are the same. Try the bigger battery or try using jumper leads with a car battery to see if it spins over quicker and starts easier We need more information to help....like are you using the choke (does it work), how long is holding for 'one click'. The bike dying could even come down to a loose battery lead. Have you seen a problem with the choke cable - is it seated right (a known problem) and what is the type of damage that he is seeing. Sometimes a bad engine earth can try to use your metal choke and throttle cables to make this earth. Haven't heard this on a KTM but have seen others.

At 4000km your bike is almost new and a great find, as it will be easier to fix in your location than the later made ones.
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
wildehond
wildehond

Oddometer: 334
Hi

You say it a LC4 single cilinder bike. You will probably get more replies in the Thumper forum.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

The LC4 640 KTM specific thread index is at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958

Cheers. I hope you mange to get is sorted.

wildehond screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 07:07 AM
wildehond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Sorry guys, f@#ked up in my reply to helping this guy. I missed that it was a 640A lc4 cos it was in the lc8 thread and just tried to help a brother. Me bad
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
Newmudman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thanks for All the replies. Will go thru the correct thread for this bike and my apologies for posting it in the wrong category. Looking forward to working this out. Mabuhay!
Newmudman is offline   Reply With Quote