Oddometer: 1,726
Lucky Biker....close call

http://screen.yahoo.com/luckiest-biker-163552787.html

Good control on the riders part...
Old 06-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,695
A good example of just how hard it is to see a bike travelling straight down the roadway.

If you want the lizard brains of the other road users to take note of you being there... As a rider you need to help them. ADD LATERAL MOTION... Or continue riding straight down the road and find out how soon this will happen to YOU!

Ride Often Ride AWARE
Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
A good example of a typical, clueless left hand turner.
Fixed.

Judging this by all the other crazy dash cam videos coming out of Russia, if the bike had made a lateral movement, the driver probably would have sped up!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
They do seem to drive crazy over there...I'm not sure a weave would have helped....the car came from the right lane around the truck. I assume its truck by the distance the camera is off the ground and the fact they were apparently waiting for a very big opening in traffic. Even at the end you see a scooter doing the same thing....
Old 06-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,078
That driver wasn't even in the turn lane. They turned from a middle lane.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
Martin_404
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Not just luck. Really good brake control too.
If the biker had not braked so much, he would have hit him and he also manages to stay upright.

You do see some crazy stunts in these Russian video's and it is probably a result of a lack of traphic law enforcement (alcohol checks), but it is also because so many people have cams in their cars.
There are idiots all over the world.

I watch these russian video's a lot and hope it will help me recognize dangerous situations in real life.
Whats going to happen next? ..... Oh yes, the blind spot caused by the truck, etc.

Martin_404 screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 06:12 AM
Martin_404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
A good example of just how hard it is to see a bike travelling straight down the roadway.

If you want the lizard brains of the other road users to take note of you being there... As a rider you need to help them. ADD LATERAL MOTION... Or continue riding straight down the road and find out how soon this will happen to YOU!

Ride Often Ride AWARE
I was weaving at a car slowing to make a left turn last weekend and the car started violently swerving back and forth in the turn lane as it was slowing down. Not sure what that was all about, but apparently they either took offense at my weaving or thought it was funny and were emulating it. Either way, they SAW me!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
A better title for this thread would have been "Idiot driver almost kills motorcyclist"

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
I saw one cut it at least as close today. Unlike the rider in the video, the close call I saw was due purely to the rider's being a dumbass.

I was off my own bike since I seem to have messed up my knee (unless popping sounds when you walk are a sign of good joint health). On my way home in my truck, I decided to take a favorite little stretch of residential road off of the beaten path. It's a hoot to ride either on a bike or a four-wheeler for the mile or so it lasts, but you do need to show good sense because there are several driveways and subdivisions which intersect it at the apexes (sp?), and several of the curves are blind. Oh... there are also some strategically placed concrete mailbox holders to "catch" you if you do run wide.

I had begun to climb the hill through an inverted "S" curve when I suddenly became aware of a sport bike which had darted out from behind the oncoming car as the squid riding it decided to straighten out the curve. He must have been doing at least 60-70 mph as he did so; I would estimate our closing speed to be well in excess of 100 mph. It would have been too damn bad for him and possibly for me if he had not gotten back over in time. I couldn't begin to get the first part of "What the f@#$?" out before he was past.

His buddy cut it closer.

With distance to the other car down to maybe three car lengths, another bike -- an orange crotch rocket -- shot past the other driver, immediately leaning so far over to get out from in front of my truck that he was nearly horizontal. He got back into the other lane with no more than 3-4 feet to spare in front of the car he had passed and less than a foot from my truck fender. I was stunned that we did not collide because he was close enough in front of me that I could only see his helmet and left shoulder when he passed me.

I did not even have time to take my foot off the gas pedal. Not that I should have made any changes to my speed. Stomping the brakes would likely have caused my truck's back end to slide out, very likely swatting one of the riders anyway and possibly hitting the oncoming car.

They may be feeling pretty smug about their supernatural skills pulling them through but the reality is the second guy in particular was simply lucky. This time.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 2,230
Damn, Paley. Gnarly.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #11
D R
----

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_404 View Post
Not just luck. Really good brake control too.
If the biker had not braked so much, he would have hit him and he also manages to stay upright.

You do see some crazy stunts in these Russian video's and it is probably a result of a lack of traphic law enforcement (alcohol checks), but it is also because so many people have cams in their cars.
There are idiots all over the world.

I watch these russian video's a lot and hope it will help me recognize dangerous situations in real life.
Whats going to happen next? ..... Oh yes, the blind spot caused by the truck, etc.

Maybe he should have just laid it down?

Old 06-25-2013, 02:56 AM   #12
Martin_404
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post
Maybe he should have just laid it down?
I was complementing the driver on the fact that he did not have to.
He keeps his cool.
Martin_404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:31 AM   #13
D R
----

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_404 View Post
I was complementing the driver on the fact that he did not have to.
He keeps his cool.

I know you were complementing the rider; he did do a good job keeping it together and up right. I applaud him.

I was tongue-in-cheek taking a poke at the "I had to lay her down to avoid an accident" crowd. Hence the .... ....smiley.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #14
WIDELOAD
Bunburyist

Oddometer: 141
This was quite a close call during TT 2013 on the Isle of Man...it happened on Cronk y Voddy just before the roads closed for racing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sGvc2OdUAyI

...a proper trouser spoiling moment
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDELOAD View Post
This was quite a close call during TT 2013 on the Isle of Man...it happened on Cronk y Voddy just before the roads closed for racing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sGvc2OdUAyI

...a proper trouser spoiling moment

That guy brought it on himself.