User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
mojomedicrn OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question Newbie to the max!!!!!!

Hi there folks. I hardly ever get on this site so I may unfortunately break some rules. I grew up riding 175 cc dual purpose bikes in the 80s and did a lot of off road riding. Then I went to college, got married/neutered, and then 17 years later I was able to buy a bike but went with the street. I love my FJR 1300 but I also am still really itching to do some off road stuff. So since I'm about 5'10" and 235 I'm not sure which dual sport to get. I don't want to be underpowered but I also don't want to get something so big that its too difficult to handle. Can anyone give me some direction?

Thanks.
mojomedicrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 714
Maybe give us some more information about your intentions... there's no such thing as a bike that does everything perfectly, so many of us find ourselves with two or three bikes in the shed. There are a few questions to ask yourself that we may help you answer:

1. Are you wanting to replace the FJR with a bike that will do it all

2. What kind of off-road riding are you wanting to do

3. What sort of distances are you wanting to travel at any one time

4. Will you be carrying passengers / luggage

5. How mechanically minded are you (some bikes need more TLC than others)

There is lots of knowledge and experience on here, take all advice with a pinch of salt..... but if in doubt... buy a KTM 950/990 Adventure, some good protective clothing, and hold on!
KTM 625SXC - Adventure bike (project)
Young-Gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
AJAdvRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hello

My first post marriage and children in college bike was a FJR1300 which I loved as well...a great sport touring machine. The only thing that it really lacked was the ability to split off of the highway onto a dirt 2 track that looked like it went somewhere interesting.

I sold it last year and purchased a 1190 Std. Im am really happy with the 1190 but still miss the FJR. I am 5' 9 with 32" inseam and the std. Puts me on my toes with both feet at a stop. I have learned to just lean to one side and flat foot with one leg only but it has taken some time to get used to...just not the same security as having both feet planted on the ground like the FJR. The 1190 also feels like it has a high center of gravity compared to the FJR...not bad but just different and it just doesn't feel as stable to me in the corners.

The positives are that it clearly has the FJR's 'get up and go' so you won't miss the power. The biggest positive is of course that I have explored many dirt trails that were previously off limits. For anything remotely considered 'dirt biking' - the tires need changed out with something more aggressive.

I am still on the fence regarding the FJR and 1190. Obviously 2 different machines with 2 different purposes. My opinion is that if 90% of your riding is highway you'll miss the FJR. However, if you plan to spend quite a bit of time off road and still want a worthy street bike to get you to the trails, the 1190 is a great compromise. The bottom line to your question may be that if you can handle a FJR, an adventure bike like the 1190 will be no problem but for sure different.

AJ