Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #31
mike650gs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Just installed the grips and the left grip stopped working halfway through the installation (no resistance - must be a broke connection inside) - these are more fragile than I imagined.

I see a couple of you have had problems with the right grip. If any of you have the working left grip sitting around i'd be happy to work something out.
mike650gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #32
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by offworlder View Post

Sometimes it (the single button controller) repeatedly flashes with all 4 lights illuminated, at which point I have to shut it off (hold button on for approx 3 secs). Then I press the button again (hold for approx 3 secs) to turn them on, and they're fine, allowing me to select any of the modes (1/green, the least amount of heat, 2/yellow, the next level up, etc...).
These units retain the setting (one light, two lights, ...) between uses. So if all four are flashing when you turn it on, just press the button once to return to 1 light. Speaking of choosing a setting, I find the lights almost impossible to see in daylight which makes choosing a setting difficult.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #33
garet55947
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
HotGrips with Warm-N-Safe controller is the only way to go.

ktm950se
Posted by a douche bag seller!
'02 DR650
'75 R90S DO
garet55947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #34
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,914
I have the KTM heated grips on a 990 Dakar. I love them, fantastic, most of the time they just need to be on the first or second setting, I only tend to use the 3rd and 4th setting when the temp drops below freezing. I have used them down to -6C (20F) and have still been comfortable with a relatively light glove.

These are the duck nuts IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #35
PopQuiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperjack View Post
For the benefit of those watching this thread..so far I'm happy to say they seem to work very well. Admittedly its the warmer months but I never have the on more than 2/4 ..often only 1/4.

They seem to have :personality: or you might say a mind of their own..let me explain..when you turn them on, its as if they go to 4/4 heat..and then after a bit they settle to what you asked for 1/4,2/4 etc..when they do this they still only indicate what you have asked for but the heat, id swear they're on full heat. They're clearly controlled by a microprocessor ...so perhaps they decided to give a few minute, says 5, burst then settle to the desired setting.

So...to days, after my initial challenges, I am very happy. Haven't trail tested them yet, only sealed roads.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
Same grips and same personality, I think they do give a burst of high heat initially then cool off to the desired setting. I also have them turn off on their own occasionally....otherwise they work great.
PopQuiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #36
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 621
HG blues

Put the KTM hg's on my 690E and they worked great...but only for the first thousand miles. Now all I get is the 4 flashing LED's.

modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #37
roamtheglobe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I just put a set on my 950 SE. They didn't work at first, just 4 lights flashed and I could only turn them on and off...
Took them apart and realized I hadn't separated the the double wires running from the grips to the red and black plug in. The directions aren't great if you've had a couple of beers...
Work fine now.
roamtheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #38
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,914
I now have 43k miles on my 990 heated grips work fine.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #39
Dark_flame221
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup View Post
p-luc
Nice to know I did not suffer alone. Good Idea about twisting the grip as long as you know which way to twist.
Still I don't know if it would be enough and then it would drive me crazy having the pattern twisted on the outside of the grip.
Here is a photo of the cut grip. Another problem about a spring the more one tries to expand sliding farther on the tube the smaller the remain coil gets. I don't know about you but the first time it was like I came to a hard stop and it would go no further. I sanded my knurling and then finished it down to 320 grit finish cause I didn't want to not want to go through another broken wire. Well I have spare left grip now and so do you probably.

given the fact that you open it, can you you tell if i can cut it like half an inch ? it look like so in the picture but not that sure...
Dark_flame221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #40
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Or do what I do, reach down by the shrouds and warm the hands up... well, it works for the left hand anyway(no cruise control on throttle). Actually there is more air flow on the right side because the fan restricts flow on the left...hmmm.
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #41
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Flashing no heat

Now that summer is coming to a close have been running my KTM Heated grips on the ride to work in the morning.
They've been great, friggin hot on only the 1st setting.

But now they have stopped working?

I get either 4 flashing lights or I can get the green 1st setting light to come on flashing then it goes solid then turns it's self off WTF?

Went to the dealer about buying just the controller, nope, only sell the whole kit grips and all for $138, another WTF?
Took the controller apart, can't see anything obvious, just a small circuit board.

I've seen a few posts where this has happened and it just seems to correct it's self.
Should I just wait and see or buy another complete set, use the controller and keep grips as a spare?

Help, fall is around the corner

the twisted-hog
Baja Cerveza Conquest
twisted-hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #42
squadraquota
mostly harmless

Oddometer: 62
same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted-hog View Post
Now that summer is coming to a close have been running my KTM Heated grips on the ride to work in the morning.
They've been great, friggin hot on only the 1st setting.

But now they have stopped working?

I get either 4 flashing lights or I can get the green 1st setting light to come on flashing then it goes solid then turns it's self off WTF?

Went to the dealer about buying just the controller, nope, only sell the whole kit grips and all for $138, another WTF?
Took the controller apart, can't see anything obvious, just a small circuit board.

I've seen a few posts where this has happened and it just seems to correct it's self.
Should I just wait and see or buy another complete set, use the controller and keep grips as a spare?

Help, fall is around the corner
Past weekend I noticed mine are flashing as well, every time I turn the ignition key on.
It goes off when I hold the button for a few secs. Psuhing the button again will only result in flashing leds, not in grips thet actually get hot...

Also, over night the battery was drained...ever tried to push start a 990?

btw, I have had the same misery others had...pain the *ss to get the r/h grip on the KTM cam throttle grip, did manage tho..and has worked fine after that for the past two years.

Anyway, will unolug the thing, check grip resistance etc. Also have a spare control unit. Just hope that it is not a broken wire in one of the grips, absolutely silly that have to buy the complete set if a grip is toast...
squadraquota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #43
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by squadraquota View Post
Past weekend I noticed mine are flashing as well, every time I turn the ignition key on.
It goes off when I hold the button for a few secs. Psuhing the button again will only result in flashing leds, not in grips thet actually get hot...

Also, over night the battery was drained...ever tried to push start a 990?

btw, I have had the same misery others had...pain the *ss to get the r/h grip on the KTM cam throttle grip, did manage tho..and has worked fine after that for the past two years.

Anyway, will unolug the thing, check grip resistance etc. Also have a spare control unit. Just hope that it is not a broken wire in one of the grips, absolutely silly that have to buy the complete set if a grip is toast...
Please post your fix
Mine might have caught the same bug.

the twisted-hog
Baja Cerveza Conquest
twisted-hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #44
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
mine did the same, I had them wired wrong. the way the plugs are arranged I accidentally hooked both wires from one grip to neg and both from the other to pos. I really felt dumb but it looked right.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #45
gpthis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted-hog View Post
Please post your fix
Mine might have caught the same bug.
Dito~ Mine just passed the 2 year mark and have decided to blink constantly...Have found nothing obvious, so made a call to the vendor and ws told they are in the elements and should need replacing!????
SO YES if someone finds the issue post it up..
Thanks..
gpthis is offline   Reply With Quote