User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
KennyT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Considering the People or Downtown 300

Two bikes I am looking at are the Kymco People 300 GTI and the Downtown 300...
Not a scooter expert, but I have read tons of great things about both, and both seem good for around town and highway capable...
Good luck on your choice and have fun!
Ken
Old 10-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyT View Post
Not a scooter expert, but I have read tons of great things about both, and both seem good for around town and highway capable...
Ken
Those are the two scooters I would be looking at. Good compromise between around town agility, highway capability, price and MPG. Very different riding positions but at least one of them should work for most people

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #18
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Lots of good choices here and also very good advice.

Must differ a bit with the following statement:

"Used Piaggio BV 500s are available, but these big scooters don't get great mileage."

My BV 500, which is still in run-in mode, is averaging 60 mpg or better, and I'm not babying it. I was a bit concerned about the small tank on the bike (which is, I think 2.8 gallons), but after pushing it, I find that the bike has at least a 130-mile safe range. Pretty amazing...
Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
ruckuschick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Having ridden on Phoenix on a scooter on the Freeways on a 250cc, I would suggest you go a little bigger than 250cc for comfort. A 250cc can do freeway speeds but I never felt comfortable on that size a bike at freeway speeds. A Silverwing, a Majesty, etc. is what I would go with if I wasn't gonna have a car. If freeways are only an occasional, you could probably feel ok on a 250cc any more often, go bigger. Kymco is a decent brand. Stay away from the chinese crap unless you like being stranded.
ruckuschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyT View Post
Ken
Yep I ve not heard bad stuff about them. Good choose with a little extra cc for passing. On my helix 250 yes you can pass but really it's a case of planing and more planing to pass if you doing 65 MPH. On hwy if you passing all to often some guy whom truck etc is gay is going to ride you scooters ass . If the guy in the left lane speeds up you kind of screwed.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #21
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,188
Genuine Blur ?

I am a 250 fan. My riding style has never required "reserve power", so 250 is fine.
Has anyone here actually ridden one of these ?

TIA
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #22
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
About the extreme Phoenix heat, that is definitely a consideration. I ride air cooled scooters and motorcycles here without any issues, as far as the bikes go. For the riser it's a different matter. It can hot enough here (115 degrees is not uncommon during the summer) to cause disorientation, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke. I would not be able to live here without a car. For years I drove old cars (vintage '50s and '60s cars) with no A/C, and still do. But I finally broke down and bought a used later model car with A/C for transportation. Seems the heat gets worse as I get older. Most of my riding in the summer is done at night, or early morning. It's a lot cooler in a car without A/C than it is on a bike, at least you have shade, and my old cars have vent wings to blow air in.

As far as the size of scooter, I definitely recommend a maxi scooter for urban freeways. But, on the other hand, they are to awkward and cumbersome for me on surface streets with lots of turns and stoplights. Thats where a 125-150cc scooter shines.

I also like the idea of having sufficient power to outrun traffic. I have ridden a number of sportbikes over the years, and it is nice to be able to just twist the throttle and be gone. But that is not going to happen on a scooter, even a maxi. A Burgman 650 is almost as big and heavy as a Goldwing, with an engine only 1/3 the size, coupled to a less efficient transmission. My 1500 Goldwing is no crotch rocket, but easily outruns cars. But on small scooters on rural roads where they are legal, I have still had to learn to ride in a completely different way. No way are you going to outrun or even keep up with most traffic, you have to ride more like a bicycle, stay to the far right, keep an eye on your mirrors, and be ready to pull onto the shoulder if necessary.

I would reconsider a car, if you can't have both. I got a 2001 Chevy Malibu in very good condition with only 80,000 miles on it, and cold A/C for only $4K. I have since put almost 35, 000 almost trouble free miles on it. It is NOT fun to drive, like a scooter, motorcycle, or vintage car, but it will get you there and back in cool comfort.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #23
MotoRandy123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Well I like the Kymco Yager GT 200I. 300 pounds and 175 cc. It's right between the 150's
and 250's. Like little bear said "Just right!". It is water cooled, fuel injected and has a flat
floor and dual disk brakes. It costs $3500 and gets 75 MPG and can reach 70 - 75 MPH.

Better hurry though as they aren't bringing them into this country next year!

It always seems the way. Someone makes a perfect thing then discontinues it...
MotoRandy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #24
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
For the type of riding the OP is going to be doing, nothing under a water-cooled 250cc will be adequate and IMHO, if he is going to spend much time on 65 mph freeways, a 400cc Burgman or Majesty would be a much better choice.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #25
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,749
What happened to the OP?

Anyway, I agree with JerryH about reconsidering a car if only one vehicle can be owned. Phoenix is one of the hottest places that I have ever visited and I grew up in Houston,TX which is one hot SOB. Phoenix is like walking into a blast furnace in the summer.

You don't know how hot, cold, and wet a place gets until you ride a bike year round. Been there,done that.
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P monkey sidecar
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #26
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Genuine Blur ?

I am a 250 fan. My riding style has never required "reserve power", so 250 is fine.
Has anyone here actually ridden one of these ?

TIA
Big Ruckus. A Honda 250.

Gas mileage, at 65mpg, is unspectacular. Top speed of about 68; you start worrying about the engine when you cruise above 60. Not that Hondas are weak; but "cruising" WOT is a good way to find yourself buying another scooter.

For all that, the "Kewel Factor" is off the scale.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #27
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
I have had two Jap 250CC scooters. I would NOT have one for what you have described. They will be completely wrung out at those freeway speeds and they are quite leisurely getting there. A Burgman 400 sounds ideal. Mine would give me 65MPG in mixed riding and could cruise the slab with some power in reserve. Internal storage is top of the class.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #28
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Good dealer support a must

Howdy,

If my scooter were my only (well, public transit is also available when your scoot is being serviced) form of private tranist, I'd first consider which dealer can provide the best support.
By "support" I mean parts and service. Forgive me for stating the obvious, but engine cubic inch displacement takes a back seat in this situation. If you have a good Kymco dealer near your home, they offer 200-300 cc bikes which should serve your needs. Be advised that posters here on this forum have had some issues with getting parts for thier Kymco bikes in a timely manner.

I say consider Honda. They're unbeatable for parts and service, and reliability. My Sh150i can reach speeds of 65 mph for riders under 220 lbs. The fuel economy is also outstanding (80+ mpg), according to Honda's website. If you intend to spend more than 33% of your time on freeways, the Sh150i wouldn't be the best choice.
I recommend the following bikes: Suzuki Burgman 400, Yamaha T-Max, (both at the expensive end). Kymco 200-300cc offerings, (mid-priced) and at the lower cost end: Yamaha Zuma 125, Honda PCX 150 and Honda Sh150i.
Good luck!

LarryRickenbacker screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 06:40 PM
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #29
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
There are 3 Kymco dealers in the Phoenix area. Parts are not usually a problem. In fact a Kymco dealer is more likely to have a part in stock than a Honda dealer, they usually have to order them. Also, there are no decent Honda dealers in Phoenix. They are (all but one) big chain powersports emporiums that treat their customers like crap, and rip them off as well. I do all my own service and repairs. One of the nice things about any Japanese scooter though, is you can get parts from online places like cheapcycleparts.com, and bikebandit.com, and avoid the dealer completely. All the Kymco dealers treat their customers well, and do not add on thousands of $$$ in bogus fees like the Japanese dealers do.

If you cannot have a car, and are determined to get around on 2 wheels, I recommend a motorcycle rather than a scooter. A 400cc scooter like the Burg or Majesty is a huge, heavy, and awkward bike for around town. A 400cc motorcycle on the other hand is much smaller and lighter and easier to handle. Even a Rebel 250 will run 80 mph all day. For some unknown reason, scooters are a LOT bigger than motorcycles of comparable displacement.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #30
Firestorm OP

Oddometer: 5,221
Thanks for the responses. Hmmm.. After reading all of this, im thinking maybe just going back to regular motorcycle would work better for me, maybe. Thanks!
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote