Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #61
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
I commuted on the highway, occasionally 2-up for over a year on a 250cc Reflex. It was great until you had to get out of a tight spot at 60mph. You had no choice but to slow down, because it had no guts at 60mph. I could have floored it and EVENTUALLY have gotten up to 65-70mph to get out, but by then, whatever was invading my lane would have ran me over.

Slowing down is often less than ideal on the highway, especially if someone suddenly invades your lane. With my Silverwing, I can accelerate past the danger. With the Reflex, I'd have to slam on my brakes, risking getting rear-ended. I'd much rather have the power to get away than risk not having enough power and getting squashed.
There are times when only horsepower can get you out of trouble. For that reason, if you travel on a road where the average rate of speed is 60mph, you better be able to hit 70 with a twist of the wrist to avoid such situations.

There is also the need to be able to pass quickly and safely. This is especially true if there is lots of truck traffic. NEVER ride alongside or near the back of a truck. A disintegrating tire can kill you. The quicker you can pass, the safer you will be.

I have a Burgman 650, but I bought it to tour, not to commute. It has lots of guts, but ot's big and heavy for around town. A 400 would be better for urban use. My son ahs a Scarabeo 200, and it scoots around pretty good but Piaggio's support is nil and it has no storage. The Burgman has a huge trunk, which is a major advantage.

Also, as mentioned, ergonomics vary from bike to bike. Unlike cruisers, it is very difficult to tweak the riding position. You're pretty much stuck with what comes out of the box, so try out as many as you can to see how they fit.

HTH
Scott Fraser
Calgary
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote