ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #91
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by night falcon View Post
i think you make a good point st....generally speaking that is
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #92
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Much wisdom. I enjoy discussing and explaining the 230L. And I think I see the typical thought which is not quite right, and harmful to some beginners etc in choosing motorcycles. Same thing happens in my other hobbies eg skiing and MTB as well. Even I am surprised at how well the 230L does for what I do. Someone else could do the same, the bike serves beginners and experienced riders well, and is much more trouble-free to own than the big-ego-stoke $$ choices.

Many responses seem to point out perhaps a lack of understanding, so I guess my style is to continue the discussion and explain why it works well, Some just like to take a final shot that is just not really correct, so I bla bla

By using this website I have been able to choose a motorcycle and set it up and complete my goal of the WABDR. I bought the bike in May. Perhaps my bla bla will help someone. There is a lot of peer pressure to get the wrong motorcycle or for the wrong reasons

I appreciate the discussion recently as well since I was ready to spend $8K but have decided it would not really be much better- since I do not plan to ride the superslab. It also helped to ride with someone on a WR250R and also try it. So thanks for the discussion.

As well, I would be thrilled if my bla bla helped Honda decide to make a moltorcycle that I would want,

Yeah, I would love to have kept my past motorcycles, they were great and unobtainable now. I am looking and may get an '09 230L and put it in the garage. 7k miles on mine since May, may need a replacement in 5 years.

This is a thread about Honda dualsport motorcycles. That is what I ride. It is strange indeed the dysfunction of some punks who insert their brand inappropriately, with hubris, illogical pride and hubris, into many threads, and here- and disrespect not just discussion is offered up by punks who know the internet lets them spout off in that fashion witout consequence.

Thanks.
Thanks for explaining more.....it helps me understand you have a passion for your bike and just want to talk about it.....nothing wrong with that I get the impression you're just a verbally expressive kinda guy
I love my bikes too for the places they can take me and the way they can make me feel......I don't think I'd be sane without them
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #93
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer
 
cyclewizard's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Norway/Michigan.
Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn_one View Post
C'mon guys...this one!
Stop teasing us.......
__________________
C-dub......


Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #94
ADVNCW
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Thanks for explaining more.....it helps me understand you have a passion for your bike and just want to talk about it.....nothing wrong with that I get the impression you're just a verbally expressive kinda guy
I love my bikes too for the places they can take me and the way they can make me feel......I don't think I'd be sane without them
Thanks now we can kumbaya and I will try to be less overbearing I guess I cannot flippin believe what that little bike does so well so I go on and on...

I am working on a TR to post- fall colors and a high lake tour.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #95
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer
 
cyclewizard's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Norway/Michigan.
Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Yeah, this thread is about Honda motorcycles....who haven't made a modern bike to compare to anything the Euros have produced in almost 15 years.

Why would they start now?
I agree with you, take a look at the engineers(stock holders too) that are working at Honda now, they have no passion for the sport, they're just pay check collectors with no vision for the U.S. market.
__________________
C-dub......


Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #96
ADVNCW
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
Stop teasing us.......
Sweet!
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #97
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Yeah, this thread is about Honda motorcycles....who haven't made a modern bike to compare to anything the Euros have produced in almost 15 years.

Why would they start now?
Its all about business....they can sell good bikes at good prices all around the world and make way more money doing it than the botique european makers. There are always more expensive options when buying anything, you just have to decide what gets the best job done for you at the best price

And more expensive doesn't always mean more reliable

It wasn't until the last few years that the more expensive euro sportbikes could hang with the japanese machines in terms of performance and reliability......the same could be said of the euro dirt machines to some degree. In fact at the highest levels of dirt racing the japanese mxer's still pretty much rule the roost, except for this year when all of Dungee's competition got hurt, which handed KTM and him the outdoor championship. Kawi will be back on top next year
I am a big Dungee fan tho....great guy and awesome rider
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #98
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer
 
cyclewizard's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Norway/Michigan.
Oddometer: 4,797
Ninja warrior is more important.
__________________
C-dub......


Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #99
jules083
Beastly Adventurer
 
jules083's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Richmond, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,802
Hmm....

I currently own the following bikes, and have owned 0 previous 4 stroke dirt bikes:

2008 CRF450R
2003 XR650R
1984 XR250R
2005 KLR 650 (I know, I know...)
2003 TTR125L (almost stole it at the price, couldn't pass up)


I feel that the XRR was a great bike, arguably one of the best, that is past it's prime at this point. Don't get me wrong: I love it, not for sale, never for sale, I don't care what happens it's a keeper.

For Honda to build a bike that I would buy now:

Let's call it an XR400L. Compete with the DRZ, but improve it. Put the motor in a CRF frame. Make it a water cooled motor based off the 450, with better long term reliability. Make it a wide-ratio 6 speed, with 6th being an overdrive type gear. Keep the low 1st and 2nd, but give a good spread after that. Aluminum frame. Less than or equal to weight to my XRR. Magic button. Good suspension, up to modern crf450x standards.

It won't happen.

I would keep an eye on the used market if the CRF450X was as long-lasting as the XRR. I could dual-sport that and be happy, but it seems to be more maintenance-extensive.

If I'm able to work out a title issue I plan on dual sporting my XR250R, that may very well change my mind on this debate. So far I like the bike, but I have many things to work out with it before I can make an honest opinion.

My complaints with the XRR are very few and far between. My bike is stock-ish and plated. An e-start would be great. The power is a bit overkill IMO, I don't have the skill to use it all. I doubt many people here do. The suspension is OK, but I've had some very hard landings while jumping smaller things and thinking I was on my CRF. Fixable with some work I imagine, haven't really done anything except play with clickers/sag.
__________________
COBDR and UTBDR on my klx250:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #100
ADVNCW
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Wink Ride today

This is where I rode today-




This trail is perfect for my 230L!!!!




Will put up a TR. This was an attempt at humor...
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #101
ADVNCW
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Hmm....

I currently own the following bikes, and have owned 0 previous 4 stroke dirt bikes:

2008 CRF450R
2003 XR650R
1984 XR250R
2005 KLR 650 (I know, I know...)
2003 TTR125L (almost stole it at the price, couldn't pass up)


I feel that the XRR was a great bike, arguably one of the best, that is past it's prime at this point. Don't get me wrong: I love it, not for sale, never for sale, I don't care what happens it's a keeper.

For Honda to build a bike that I would buy now:

Let's call it an XR400L. Compete with the DRZ, but improve it. Put the motor in a CRF frame. Make it a water cooled motor based off the 450, with better long term reliability. Make it a wide-ratio 6 speed, with 6th being an overdrive type gear. Keep the low 1st and 2nd, but give a good spread after that. Aluminum frame. Less than or equal to weight to my XRR. Magic button. Good suspension, up to modern crf450x standards.

It won't happen.

I would keep an eye on the used market if the CRF450X was as long-lasting as the XRR. I could dual-sport that and be happy, but it seems to be more maintenance-extensive.

If I'm able to work out a title issue I plan on dual sporting my XR250R, that may very well change my mind on this debate. So far I like the bike, but I have many things to work out with it before I can make an honest opinion.

My complaints with the XRR are very few and far between. My bike is stock-ish and plated. An e-start would be great. The power is a bit overkill IMO, I don't have the skill to use it all. I doubt many people here do. The suspension is OK, but I've had some very hard landings while jumping smaller things and thinking I was on my CRF. Fixable with some work I imagine, haven't really done anything except play with clickers/sag.
Sounds good. I like the looks of the XR400. Just a bit old now, I am lamo at rebuilding and keeping stuff going. A modern one would be even better I looked at XR650Rs, but same deal, I am lamo at maintaining/ rebuilding. I just like to ride and spout off on the website...
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #102
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Another example of a small precise motorcycle as I advocate-



What I would like to see is similar with some additional features allowing use to travel, eg rear subframe and 3 gal tank.
So an OSSA Enduro 250i / 300i with a 37.5"+ seat height, 12"+ of suspension travel and 58" of wheelbase is a "small precise motorcycle" ? Outside of the fuel injection how is it greatly different from the Husky / KTM / Gas-Gas / TM / Husaberg 250 & 300 2 stroke bikes?

My current model 450 four stoke has pretty similar specs but weighs 15-25#'s more than the bikes described above as well so I am as confused about any valid, coherent point you are trying to make.

Then again I am pretty sure my 450 is putting out more torque at idle than your bike puts out at peak.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #103
jules083
Beastly Adventurer
 
jules083's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Richmond, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Sounds good. I like the looks of the XR400. Just a bit old now, I am lamo at rebuilding and keeping stuff going. A modern one would be even better I looked at XR650Rs, but same deal, I am lamo at maintaining/ rebuilding. I just like to ride and spout off on the website...
The XRR's are pretty easy to work on, it's a good 'learner' bike for wrenching. Easy valve adjustments, not many surprises, etc.

Looking at an earlier thread you made though, the XRR's do vibrate. A lot. Especially if you're like me and run rim-locks. YMMV
__________________
COBDR and UTBDR on my klx250:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #104
davesupreme
grand poobah
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: palm harbor, fla
Oddometer: 1,458
what's w/this goofball?.... i can buy a nice plated KTM 450 for way less $$$ as that 230 new... ... w/excellent suspension, and probably 2x the horsepower.... and real brakes.... and a smooth hydraulic clutch.... and it weighs the same or less..... and it runs like a raped ape and not a lawn mower..... and if you're too dumb to adjust the valves, tinker w/the jetting, change the fork oil, change the springs to the correct weight, use a kick start, etc., then you shouldn't take the thing out to bumphuque, egypt..... and if you can't tell the difference, then i dunno what to say..... get a quad, and be happy....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #105
ADVNCW
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
So an OSSA Enduro 250i / 300i with a 37.5"+ seat height, 12"+ of suspension travel and 58" of wheelbase is a "small precise motorcycle" ? Outside of the fuel injection how is it greatly different from the Husky / KTM / Gas-Gas / TM / Husaberg 250 & 300 2 stroke bikes?

My current model 450 four stoke has pretty similar specs but weighs 15-25#'s more than the bikes described above as well so I am as confused about any valid, coherent point you are trying to make.

Then again I am pretty sure my 450 is putting out more torque at idle than your bike puts out at peak.
Looks like I was wrong there. Never mind. Back to the Freeride 350 to make the point...

Fixed it, nuked the erroneous posts.

Cool, dude, glad you like your 450 KTM. I think it is nice. A nice young guy came along with us Friday on a nice 450KTM.

I have nothing against euro bikes, I have looked at them eg the KTM 350 and the 500 and the Freeride, and the Husky 310. For me, I made my choice, I like it, I like that I spent less and have fun riding. And the amount of maintenance on the 230L is...not much needed!

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 06:36 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014