Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #181
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo3 View Post
Great RR!!

From one former Jersian to another... Thanks for sharing, great photos!
Thanks...glad to be taking other exits now!
jrzyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #182
misterjack
Universal

Oddometer: 51
take the ferry its very dangerous through mexico!
misterjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #183
lorenzo!
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Envious of you being in a warm location with green. Glad the bike is back to 'normal' and able to focus on riding. The pictures are so good that my wife is bugging me to ask what camera you're using.
I'm also struck how clean the towns are! I'm used to seeing trash everywhere I've been in Mexico. It must be the local
culture.
Appreciate your time and effort to share your adventure with us.....
lorenzo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #184
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
I caught up! ... while reading at work...

Great to be joining in on the ride. I did much of what you've covered last winter and this ride report is hitting home. I'm itching to go again!

Keep it up! Really enjoying the pictures and write-up!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #185
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo! View Post
Envious of you being in a warm location with green. Glad the bike is back to 'normal' and able to focus on riding. The pictures are so good that my wife is bugging me to ask what camera you're using.
I'm also struck how clean the towns are! I'm used to seeing trash everywhere I've been in Mexico. It must be the local
culture.
Appreciate your time and effort to share your adventure with us.....
Lorenzo, The camera is a Canon T2i, a less expensive DSLR with a 18-135mm kit lens. Earlier in my report I apologized for not showing the more worn side of what I'm passing through...it's intentional. Thanks for the kind words...and hi to Kathy. Jim
Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #186
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I caught up! ... while reading at work...

Great to be joining in on the ride. I did much of what you've covered last winter and this ride report is hitting home. I'm itching to go again!

Keep it up! Really enjoying the pictures and write-up!
I can understand you wanting to return...I'm already thinking about returning, and I'm still here :)
Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #187
jrzyguy OP
Restless

The Road to Puerto Escondido

The guys are very happy with the road to the beach. 131 is twisty as it descends through the hills and eventually to the beach.

Another unsual taxis...they're common in the Oaxaca area.

Our lunch stop...again, the food was fresh and awesome!

Almost ready...delicious!

This is mom...she was supervising the cooks.

Misfortune strikes! Uti went down in a turn. As we were coming down a hill and the road was sweeping left, there was a large section of asphalt removed and filled in with dirt. Hard to say exactly what happened...we know these things happen in an instant. But as you can see, Matt is taping up Uti's ankle. We were 17 miles from town. We flagged a car down and got Uti transported into town. Matt and I rode in and unpacked our bikes...returning 2 up to get Uti's bike. The day started out on a real high, but ended on a downer. We are assuming it's just a bad sprain, so Uti will hang out at the beach for a few days and then return to Mexico City via bus. He'll return for his bike when he's able. Matt and I will spend a day at the beach, then continue on.

jrzyguy screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 06:16 AM
Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #188
jrzyguy OP
Restless

At The Beach

We stayed in Playa Zicatela, immediately south of Puerto Escondido. As a native, Uti has been here before...and again, his call was right on!

I'm told that this is serious surfer territory. The summer brings the big waves.

We engaged in less physical activities! A hammock in the shade with a cold beverage seemed right!

These two were having fun at our motel. They brought back memories of my brother and me...a few years back! I'm the one still blowing up his tube.

The guards were keepin' it safe!

The view from the outdoor dining area at our motel. A very pleasant arrangement!

jrzyguy screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 07:06 AM
Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #189
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Leaving Zicatela

Our last breakfast at Bungalows Zicatela. Uti will fly back to Mexico City tomorrow.

Packed and ready to roll. We will ride southeast along the coast.

We took a 20 minute detour from the main route to check out Playa Zipolite, known for its nude beach and hippie culture. Matt and I both liked its less commercial feeling.

A view of the entrance end of Ziipolite's main drag...pretty quiet! I didn't get any pics, but there are lots of characters in town.

jrzyguy screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 05:56 AM
Old 01-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #190
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Salina Cruz For The Night

The only reason we stopped to stay the night in Salina Cruz was darkness. But just outside our hotel was a line of food vendors set up in semi-permanent structures that left a narrow walkway on what should have been the sidewalk. They were doing a brisk business with the locals.

There are times when I wonder how people will react to us taking their picture, and this was one of those times. Fortunately, they were tolerant of the only two gringos in this busy city :)
Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #191
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Hi Jim, Good to see you and Matt still riding, I got back home yesterday, Rode the same route you guys are on now, was in PE, and Zipolite a few weeks ago, So how'd you like the winds rolling into La Ventosa, and Salina?
My big purchase for next years ride down is gonna be a Garmin Montana, what programs/maps did you and Matt have loaded? Dan
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #192
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 568
hello

Sure looks like you are having a lot of fun!

ride safe

Sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #193
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
Hi Jim, Good to see you and Matt still riding, I got back home yesterday, Rode the same route you guys are on now, was in PE, and Zipolite a few weeks ago, So how'd you like the winds rolling into La Ventosa, and Salina?
My big purchase for next years ride down is gonna be a Garmin Montana, what programs/maps did you and Matt have loaded? Dan

THE Cpt Ugly Dan met in Baja, 2011?

The windy section isn't till AFTER Salina Cruz. It's flat out retarded. I've NEVER rode such wind before. I was seriously thinking my tires were going to kick out from under my bike while I was leaned what felt further then 45 degrees. What was worse was it wasn't steady so you nearly hit the ditch, then into the on-coming vehicle. I guess Fletch met a guy after we parted ways who hit the ditch the day prior to us going through.

As for maps, I have City Navigator Mexico and from what I found it worked pretty damn well! Not sure what I had for Guatemala and Belize, but both of those were no issues navigating... I'll look into it. Big files but if i had to host for you guys to download I could see what my options are.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #194
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
Hey Dan, The winds weren't too bad...they were definitely moving me around, but I've been in much worse. The wind turbine farm/s were immense though! I'm going to have you speak to Matt on the GPS...he's is light-years ahead of me on the topic. Glad you had a safe trip...hope to see you again on the road!
Jim
Old 01-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #195
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralou View Post
Sure looks like you are having a lot of fun!

ride safe

Sara
Sara, Yes we're having a blast...thanks for weighing in! Jim