Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I would love to go to the Nordkapp,have failed 3 times now,two to a social life(and good bands)
getting in the way,and Hurricane Katrina(well the 2nd one after Katrina,went up the Eastern Seaboard
and slammed into Norway!).
Will keep it in mind,my "Euro" bike is currently in Barcelona,Spain,but Bulgaria is a 15hr ride away
(5.5hrs to cross Italy from Civitavecchia to Bari,ferry to Athens,9.5hr ride north!).Would be up for a one
way trip,options for later.
Keep this updated,if i dont get off to Sth America,i'm certainly interested(would like to see some Poznan/
Riga friends enroute though!).
Regards;
Bill.

Aftermath of a hurricane.......muchos water! :)
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 532
Fantastic photo.

Yeah 9000 miles this last trip I did from Bulgaria to Portugal and back again. Strained my neck so bad, been seeing a chiropractor for months. Yeah, not again.
So thinking, one way to nordcapp, park the bike with my friend in Sweden, fly home.

Following year, ride back down south or sell the bike. Who knows.

Thanks
N
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
Fantastic photo.

Yeah 9000 miles this last trip I did from Bulgaria to Portugal and back again. Strained my neck so bad, been seeing a chiropractor for months. Yeah, not again.
So thinking, one way to nordcapp, park the bike with my friend in Sweden, fly home.

Following year, ride back down south or sell the bike. Who knows.

Thanks
N
Aye,least you have a bike i can keep up with,ha ha.I wouldn't fancy going with the GS/KTM Adv. crowd......50mph
limit in Norway as it is.I've already done the Preikstollen......dont attempt it in bike gear,my legs were like jelly,
you climb up a waterfall at one point.I was told to take plenty water,still ran out before i reached it!
Let's see what happens........there's currently a spare bike in AZ,USA,see what happens there first(the Kiwi girl
hit a car at home,still cancelled her trip at present!)!
:)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Laugh

I've been to Nordcap few times, I my opinion worth more as an achievement than for actual sights ;)
But if You are planning on driving south from there you can consider visiting Lofoten. Extreamly beautiful place, quite unique with very fun roads to drive.

Generally the best road (sights and fun wise) is driving allong the west coast. A bit slower road, requires quite a few feries, but worth it.

BTW. Even in july take at least 2 sets of thermal underwear. This is Gairanger fjord this year mid july:

And 20 minutes later on the mountain pass:

Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #20
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Yikes!
Well snow and I are no strangers.
I did read about Lofoten when I researched this ride to create the trip plan. I guess I didn't call it out.
Will make special note of it, thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
Rauven
I like the cold...

Cool2

I read through your trip plan. I see you're going through my home town - Wałbrzych. Not much to see there, but castle Ksiaz is really nice. Worth a walk around. City wise, IMO Wroclaw is much nicer than Poznan ;)

Hmm, in Norway. If you are not planing on sticking to main roads, dont plan distances longer than 500km per day. Top speed limit is 100km/h, on most roads 70. So think average traveling speed of 60km/h. And you really don't want Norwegian police catching you speeding. The tickets are monstrous.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

OK good to know.

Now that I'm pretty clear on chopping this trip up between 2 summers, I think I don't nearly have to push as hard.

Can I get a homestay if I come through your town?

This last ride I did to Portugal 8000+ miles, strained my neck so bad I had to go for ultrasound and cold laser therapy for a couple of months and I finally stopped seeing my chiropractor every week. SO, I'm VERY happy to hear about low speed limits!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #23
Rauven
I like the cold...

Laugh

Haha, I was born and raised in Walbrzych, now I live in Norway ;) But if You'll be around Tønsberg/Langesund You are more than welcome to send me a message and drop by :) Eventually I'll be in Lofoten mid July on Lofoten motorcycle meeting. We could grab a beer together, bit of an arctic summer party in the midnight sun :)
Old 12-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #24
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
North of Lofoten there are an isle called Senja. I found it even better and more beautiful than Lofoten. Summertime there are a ferry between Lofoten and Senja.

Few old pics from Senja: http://www.saarela.se/aktuellt/aktue...13/070713.html
Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #25
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Well as much as I wanted to do this, not any serious inquiries so I'm going to put this off for a year.
Thanks for playing....
Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #26
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,640
Oh,that's a shame SANancy....

(I'm also thinking of Morocco again for a laugh,probably around the end of October...you'd be welcome to come along on that ride out if you wish....this time throwing in a bit of wild camping...you could ride to me at your leisure,in southern France,do what RTW Noah did and stay here with my family, and ride on down through Spain etc etc...)

As you want.

Just say'in like...

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #27
T-Mac
orange

Oddometer: 44
Sad to hear it. You can still come to the Bulgarian seaside where beautiful women are highly appreciated
Old 04-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #28
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
bummer

I just found the thread today, oh well I still plan on making a dash for the circle this year via Sweden; tag Norway and Finland then head back south.

I have a rally to attend here in Germany second week of July then I was just going to grab some coffee and head north. I'm for sure taking my heated gear. I was on the fence about it till I saw the snow on the ground from the photos posted here.
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #29
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

I changed the plan to do a trip from San Francisco to Dawson City Yukon Canada for the D2D event.

Too much work to come to Europe and there wasn't much interested in a nordcapp ride.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #30
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
I changed the plan to do a trip from San Francisco to Dawson City Yukon Canada for the D2D event.

Too much work to come to Europe and there wasn't much interested in a nordcapp ride.
Sorry to hear you have cancelled.I couldn't make plans that far ahead,but as no USA work is forthcoming this year,i'm stuck in Europe and started thinking ahead and was thinking about your trip.
Ach well,i might head over from Barcelona,Spain to Turkey(only 5hrs on the road,the rest ferry) and head up into Eastern Europe.Got plenty Latvian/Polish friends,i might leave the bike there somewhere to give me future options.
Good luck with your trip,maybe our paths will cross one day!
Bill