User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
RoughReady OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
R100GS Stainless Brake Line

I'm looking to replace the tired brake line on my 1991 R100GS. An ADV search did not turn up too much info for help in deciding which way to go. I do recall at one point seeing recommendations to replace with another BMW original rubber line but know many prefer the stainless lines. Any suggestions as to which manufacturer to go with on the stainless lines if that is the best route? Thanks
RoughReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
naginalf
Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer: 250
Paragon Performance

I'm pretty sure that Paragon will still do custom lines if you ask them to. I have friends who've gotten them for their Toyotas and Honda motorcycles. I haven't personally dealt with them tho, and they don't list BMW under their motorcycle kits, but give them a call.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
ignatz72
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
One of the inmates on this forum makes custom Airhead SS lines... Sorry I forget who though. Big help, huh?
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughReady View Post
I'm looking to replace the tired brake line on my 1991 R100GS. An ADV search did not turn up too much info for help in deciding which way to go. I do recall at one point seeing recommendations to replace with another BMW original rubber line but know many prefer the stainless lines. Any suggestions as to which manufacturer to go with on the stainless lines if that is the best route? Thanks
deference between a stainless braided flex hydraulic line vs OEM flex line is mostly cosmetic. inside of all stainless line is the same style hydraulic hose.

main advantage besides cosmetic is increased abrasion resistance. so if you are having rubbing problems with OEM hose. by all mean go for the extra $$$ stainless hoses costs. most folks however don't have rubbing problems.

a set two hoses for R90S custom made up at a local brake & clutch shop cost me $43. that was for almost identical fittings that fit inside OEM holders. you do need to bring your old hose for shop to match to.

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 07:41 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
goathead
grunt and push

Oddometer: 42
Brake line

Call me crazy but when I changed out the front brake line on my 92 R100GS I liked the result I thought it was worth the money.
goathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,547
www.cyclebrakes.com does custom SS lines for about $65. They have done all my bike for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
http://spieglerusa.com/brakes/cycle-...line-kits.html

Most people like these.

Personally I ONLY replace lines with SS. You can order them in black to keep a more OE look if you want or even order them with a rubber cover them to really look OE.

If you like a mushy soft and weak front brake use the stock rubber noodle hose, but if you want a solid, controlled firm brake lever then get SS.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
deference between a stainless braided flex hydraulic line vs OEM flex line is mostly cosmetic. inside of all stainless line is the same style hydraulic hose.

main advantage besides cosmetic is increased abrasion resistance. so if you are having rubbing problems with OEM hose. by all mean go for the extra $$$ stainless hoses costs. most folks however don't have rubbing problems.

a set two hoses for R90S custom made up at a local brake & clutch shop cost me $36. that was for almost identical fittings that fit inside OEM holders. you do need to bring your old hose for shop to match to.
I do not think so, especially on an older bike like a '91. They were always a true rubber hose that was nylon or fabric woven for support and pressure rating of a hydraulic lines. A true SS brake line has a solid nylon tube inner that is one piece and is wrapped with a ss outer for pressure support. There is almost NO buldging or swelling when under pressure where as a old rubber style hose is soft and increases in diameter when under pressure causing a spongy feel to the brake. Some people do not like SS because the feel is very solid where as rubber is a bit more forgiving, but I WAY prefer the control and solid feel.

Proof in the pudding is that MOST bikes now have SS lines and ALL MX bikes have SS lines now as well as every performance bike I can think of on the street has them. If they were not better, they would NOT be used on Ducati, KTM, Aprilia, MV Agusta............................................ ...............................
Old 10-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughReady View Post

bud provin.. makes ss lines budprovin@hotmail.com,
R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Grayghost66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
http://spieglerusa.com/brakes/cycle-...line-kits.html

Most people like these.

Personally I ONLY replace lines with SS. You can order them in black to keep a more OE look if you want or even order them with a rubber cover them to really look OE.

If you like a mushy soft and weak front brake use the stock rubber noodle hose, but if you want a solid, controlled firm brake lever then get SS.
+1 I have the Spiegler SS line on my 1992 GS and am impressed with it. Quality product. Brake has more "grunt" as it took the expansion out of the OEM rubber one. As a matter of course I always replace rubber lines with SS on my bikes.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,170
Quote:
I do not think so, especially on an older bike like a '91. They were always a true rubber hose that was nylon or fabric woven for support and pressure rating of a hydraulic lines. A true SS brake line has a solid nylon tube inner that is one piece and is wrapped with a ss outer for pressure support. There is almost NO buldging or swelling when under pressure where as a old rubber style hose is soft and increases in diameter when under pressure causing a spongy feel to the brake. Some people do not like SS because the feel is very solid where as rubber is a bit more forgiving, but I WAY prefer the control and solid feel.

Proof in the pudding is that MOST bikes now have SS lines and ALL MX bikes have SS lines now as well as every performance bike I can think of on the street has them. If they were not better, they would NOT be used on Ducati, KTM, Aprilia, MV Agusta............................................ ...............................
+1 You saved me a buncjh of typing km! All that plus the ss lines last a lot longer. Oak use to go on about how they were inferior and not safe. Well, now they come stock on beemers. They are better, safer (MUCH less likely to herniate or suffer internal flaking), AND last longer. I use Earls.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,275
Quote:

R90S is a 74 ... no clue on rubber compound made back then. but when I had my two new hoses made this spring. they were made of the latest materials. but not stainless steel braided.

total costs $43 for two custom made hoses.

note you are comparing to 30+ year old OEM hoses. when one should be comparing modern hoses made with latest modern materials to stainless hoses.

modern hydraulic hose material are rated for very low expansion. for all I know they could have internal wire mesh inside. http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductLis...?folderid=1040

my brakes are super solid without any hint of sponge. if you want to spend extra $$$ for stainless hoses ... knock yourself out. certainly doesn't hurt anything.

---------------------
edit: turns out my hose has one braid of high-tensile steel wire

HYDRAULIC BRAKE HOSE (SAE J1401)
Hose size
I.DXO.D(mm)
W.P(Bar)
B.P(Bar)
Min. bend radius(mm)
DN
Dash
Inch
Resin
rubber
resin
rubber
resin
rubber
resin
rubber
1/8
1/8
3/16

Application:
Used in aviation, Automobile
Inner tube
Nylon
Reinforcement:
One braid of high-tensile steel wire
Cover:
Polyurethane
Operating temperature:
-40---+100

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 07:54 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
Suggested retail for one OEM hose is now $91.53. That's $183.06 for the pair. You could have had stainless braided hoses for $120.00.

What was it you said about paying extra?
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,885
I've found typicaly decent stainless steel lines (really Teflon or nylon inside a stainless steel braided hose)
To be any from less to much less then the cost of an OEM rubber line.

What I did on my GS was a full stainless braided line from master cylinder to caliper
I make my own, it's not hard to do, especially if you have the right tools prices around 10-12 bucks a foot for line and 10-15 for the connectors, I use welding rod to figure out the length.
To do this you need to know the thread pitch and the depth of the hole in the caliper so you can get the right banjo bolt.

Also I ran my brake line outside of the low fender hole, that way I can switch from low fender to high fender whenever I want with out so much brake bleeding hassle.

Cyclebrakes gives advriders a discount. I've used them and have been happy with their work and knowledge.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,170
I am sure some rubber line is better than others. Steel braided teflon line is better than all it. New and especially aged. I have steel braided teflon line that is as rock solid today as it was 25 years ago when I bought it. That isn't going to happen with rubber lines steel wire reinforced or not. Sure, rubber line works, at least for a while, and you may want to use it for whatever reason but it isn't better.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote