User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
jconly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Cool2 Things to see along the TET(S)

So, I'm headed south in a week - on the TET & TETS - from Northern Maryland all the way to the end @ the Gulf of Mexico.

I don't have a TON of time to do it, especially if I factor in the unknown potential variables.... but I'd be sad if I did this entire route and missed some great stuff just off the trail.

The documentation provided with the routes talks of some amazing stops along the way, but doesn't give any detail. Just says it exists.

So, I'm reaching out, to see what recommendations anyone may have.
This is my first time going south, so I'm sure theres some great recommendations for things I've never seen!

Also, if anyone wants to meet up and ride with, let's do it!
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
rhino_adv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Tet-s

Im very interested in this as well.
I recived the files from Chip two weeks ago and am planning our trip for next summer. We are planning on 12-15 days to go from central Illinois to the north end of the TET-S via the the OTC and then ride south to the gulf riding the trail clockwise from Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, then back north through Florida, Alabama, Georiga and Tenessee where we will exit the TET-S and ride accross Tenessee, Kentucky and Indiana back to Illinois.

Are there any MUST SEE sights along the way.......

Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
jconly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_adv View Post

Im very interested in this as well.
I recived the files from Chip two weeks ago and am planning our trip for next summer. We are planning on 12-15 days to go from central Illinois to the north end of the TET-S via the the OTC and then ride south to the gulf riding the trail clockwise from Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, then back north through Florida, Alabama, Georiga and Tenessee where we will exit the TET-S and ride accross Tenessee, Kentucky and Indiana back to Illinois.

Are there any MUST SEE sights along the way.......

Brad
Shoot me a message in a month, and I'll give you some feedback!

Seems to me that not many have ridden the trail in entirety, and those that have, haven't reported much.

I've only managed to really find a brief ride report of someone who's done the TET + TETS from the Catskills (?) area to the Gulf. I think everyone else is just playing AROUND the trail.
Someone correct me!
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
rhino_adv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
Shoot me a message in a month, and I'll give you some feedback!

Seems to me that not many have ridden the trail in entirety, and those that have, haven't reported much.

I've only managed to really find a brief ride report of someone who's done the TET + TETS from the Catskills (?) area to the Gulf. I think everyone else is just playing AROUND the trail.
Someone correct me!

I will follow up with you in a month. I have not had much luck finding ride reports for the trails either.

Good luck and ride safe, Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
I'd give you some more info, but I'm kinda foggy right now - out building another route.

I note Penton, AL as an available off route gas stop.... mostly because they had good boiled peanuts and the name... anybody remember Penton motorcycles?!?! Now known in the US as KTM.

Look for the redneck memorial north of Penton... on the outside of a curve (east side of road).. where the route curves down to cross a wooden flat bridge (northbound). A marker for somebody who crashed there complete with a beer can holder. Usually empties around too....

There are some neat decrepit overgrown old houses on the route in the savanna area's of Georgia... paralleling the coast about 50 miles inland.

Ocean pond in NE Florida is set as an overnight stop for camping - beautiful place. Camel Lake NF campground just north of Carabella FL is good too.

If you do the extensions up to Tellico Plains, there are some really nice routes up there... also the gas stop on the route just east of the end of the Cheoloa Skyway has a deli that's pretty good. This gas stop is only 10-15 miles from Tail of The Dragon for those so inclined.

If you do the TET-S portions in north central GA, there is a BBQ place on the route just north of Suches that's down home.

If you do the extension out to Tybee Island, the last 45 miles are paved, but parking at the end of a dead end side street and sitting on the beach watching sunrise is priceless.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote