User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Sox Fan OP
SoxFan

Oddometer: 888
Fork Oil Change R90/6

Trying to change the fork oil on my R90/6 for the first time. I took off the top cap and then the bottom nut and washer while holding the middle still with allen wrench.

Barely any oil drained from the first fork. I tried pushing up on the little threaded thing several times on the bottom and that yielded only a few drops. Blew some compressed air form the top and that did nothing.

Could my forks have barely any oil? What am I missing?

Bought the bike two years ago. It has 37,000 miles.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,609
Sounds like the oil all leaked out. Take the big plug out of the bottom. There should be a large rubber or sort of plastic/rubber bumper in this. It will probably be missing. It dissolved years ago. Replace it. Get some gaskets and other pieces. If your forks work well, they go up and down easily, then you may not want to try and rebuild them but you will need the gaskets, metal O-rings, and that large rubber piece in the bottom at least.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
photorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Try pulling down on the fork lowers to see if anything else drains out.
photorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Sox Fan OP
SoxFan

Getting weirder. Tried doing the other fork. Little drained out so I pushed up on the threaded plug part in the middle and it drained really well. But, the threaded plug part did not come back down and seems stuck inside the fork?
1989 911
Old 10-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Sox Fan OP
SoxFan

Whew. Was able to fiddle with the second fork and get the threaded part to pop out agian. Back to the first fork.
1989 911
Old 10-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,609
Well, you have the springs out don't you? They came out the top. The part you have unthreaded on the bottom rides up and down with the slider because it is attached to the slider. You un-attached it. And with the springs out it can go up and down and it can wobble a little bit inside the fork tube. Nothing wrong where.

Take the large plug off the bottom. You need the 36 mm wrench from your tool kit. Inside, under this plug, you will find some threaded plugs that can be unscrewed with a snap ring pliers if you like and then you can get the rest of the parts out and clean them and inspect the rest of the operation to see if you might need more work.

There are three piston rings on the plunger that seal inside the fork tube just like the piston rings inside the engine. When putting it all back together you can make a funnel type tool from a playing card to get the rings back in. Some times a thin feeler gauge will help getting them back in. There are replacement rings but they don't fit well so don't damage the ones you have. It's best to keep the rings that are in the bike now.

A lot of this is explained in either the Hayne's or Clymer's Manuals. With pictures.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
Getting weirder. Tried doing the other fork. Little drained out so I pushed up on the threaded plug part in the middle and it drained really well. But, the threaded plug part did not come back down and seems stuck inside the fork?
The "threaded plug" is the bottom of the damper rod. As photorider says, drop the fork sliders down a bit to allow oil to drain. Look at a few diagrams like http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...9&rnd=08102012 and http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...9&rnd=08102012 .
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Sox Fan OP
SoxFan

Thanks for all the replies. I had to pop up what I guess now is the damper rod into the fork on each to drain. This wasn't mentioned in my Clymer manual or in anything I saw on line. Everything I read made it sound like they would drain after the nut and washer came off.

I was only looking to replace the oil, not take the fork apart but I do appreciate all the info on that.

Figured out how to do one more thing on my Airhead. I'll call that a win. :)
1989 911