Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #136
Umarth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF View Post

just out of curriousity, where did you get those horns?And have you tested them to see if they clear the plastic fairing?

I have to upgrade mine, so I'm all ear on this!

thanks.
Umarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #137
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Do you have an after market exhaust installed? I ask because the manufacturer of mine recommends the 47.5, but If I find a rich condition I'll switch it back to the 45. I live around sea level as well so that's good info.
In my experience a BST40-equipped Adventure R does not need a larger pilot jet at sea level with an aftermarket exhaust.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 AM   #138
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umarth View Post
just out of curriousity, where did you get those horns?And have you tested them to see if they clear the plastic fairing?

I have to upgrade mine, so I'm all ear on this!

thanks.

I've had these horns kicking around in my spare parts box for a while, they're Hella Supertone twin horns. I'm sure you can find a set online or at a local import tuner parts shop (think Subaru WRX). I painted them orange because they were pretty rusty looking. Yup, they fit under the faring, just... actually a bit of the horns comes below the faring but I'm fine with that. I'm going to upgrade the stock wiring as well. I want to make sure they get the juice they need to be loud, and they are loud!
CSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #139
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
In my experience a BST40-equipped Adventure R does not need a larger pilot jet at sea level with an aftermarket exhaust.

Regards,

Derek
Thaks Derek, I'll leave the 45 in for now then.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #140
Umarth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
I've had these horns kicking around in my spare parts box for a while, they're Hella Supertone twin horns. I'm sure you can find a set online or at a local import tuner parts shop (think Subaru WRX). I painted them orange because they were pretty rusty looking. Yup, they fit under the faring, just... actually a bit of the horns comes below the faring but I'm fine with that. I'm going to upgrade the stock wiring as well. I want to make sure they get the juice they need to be loud, and they are loud!
Excellent! Just ordered me a pair.

Thanks.
Umarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #141
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

dash electronics

I've been doing lots of work on the bike but not taking many photos, as most of the work has been little bits and pieces or finalizing various component installs. I've finishing installing the carb, the exhaust and I put the rear caliper back together, but haven't bled it yet.

I've finalized the tail and rear electronics and put that all back together. I added an extra LED brake/license plate light I had kicking around:

I'm happy with the way the brake lights fire, I think it will make me more noticeable. I also added 2 resistors for the LED blinkers because they wouldn't blink or they would blink to fast without them.

I moved up to the front end electronics, which are far more... interesting.

I had installed the HID kits into the housings but hadn't had a realistic way to run them or control them yet. So I ran a relay to a 6 fuse block, I ran the relay through a switch on the dash so I can kill the lights and all of my extra accessories if I need to kick start the bike.

I ran 2 relays off the fuse block controlled by the stock light switches, one for high beams and one for low:

I added a switch to the dash and tapped into the stock high beam trigger switch to be able to run both high and low at the same time:

I'm quite happy with the location of the fuse block on the dash, it still needs some clean up work, but I think its going to work out. It gives me easy accesses to the fuse block without having to tear the front end apart to change a fuse:

I'll make a cover out of plexiglass and add some wing nuts to keep everything protected. I'll also make some labels for the fuse locations.

Here is what the dash looks like now:

its a bit of a mess right now but it will all get cleaned up on final install, its all in the testing phase right now. The first switch is for the master relay; that runs the 6 fuse block, so I can kill the whole block if I want. The second switch will fire the high beam if the low beam is on. The third switch will fire the heated grips, although I may try to find a dial switch for the grips so I can adjust the heat as I see fit. If that happens then I'll use the extra switch down the road for something else.. like axillary lights...

Here's the whole mess of wires while I was testing my set up before the permanent install:

I'm still having some difficulty with the ignition side of the electronics, I can't get the bike to run off the push starter. When I tried to kick it over yesterday, I thought it might fire up, I even got a few puffs of smoke from the exhaust, but nothing more then that. When I pulled the plug it didn't look like it was sparking... anyway hopefully I'll figure that out soon.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #142
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,711
Nice work so far. It's not easy stuff.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #143
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,805
I realize it's a bit late, but did you look at the eastern beaver 3 circuit fuse blocks? I've got one on my Strom and love it.

You could do two of them if you needed more circuits.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #144
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am so smart S-M-R-T!

...and the "don't do what Johnny stupid does" award goes to: me.

I'm still fighting with the electrical and starting my bike. I tested everything tonight. EVERYTHING. I went through the electrical part of the manual twice, testing the whole way. Nothing works.

I'm eating some dinner and I'm thinking about my wiring and why the F@*^! I can't get the starter relay to fire from the handle bar switch...

So I go back through the wiring diagram again looking - looking - looking, cause I know the wiring harness pretty good by now, trying to figure out where maybe I'm getting a ground or some sensor isn't working - then BAM! There it is, staring me right in the face. I see I have 2 connectors switched around near the battery. I go out switch them back over and everything fires right back up how it should... so much work and worry about fried expensive electrical parts over nothing! Anyway, my wiring harness is sorted. I just need to finalize all my connections then seal, wrap, tape and zip tie it all up.
fk!

I have a few leaks in the exhaust I need to seal up; but it lives, breaths and roars again!

CSF screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 05:34 PM
Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #145
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Good for you!

And thanks for sharing when you screw up!

Cheers
Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #146
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,711
CSF,
Good on you!!!

Just a suggestion to make a wiring diagram for all your aux switches cause once it's bagged and tagged you will wonder...HOW DID I DO THAT?

At least I wonder about mine and darned if I exactly remember how-now.
At least my ball of wires still works.

So far.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 AM   #147
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Droptarotter - no problem, I can always count on my own stupidity to hinder my progress! It always seem like its the simple things the get me. But its good to see how people solve these things and that you should expect them when doing any sort of project, problems are just part of it.

bmwktmbill - that's an excellent idea, I'll make sure to do that. That will make trouble shooting down the road way easier.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #148
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Its been a while since I updated this, but its been a lot of finalizing things; redoing electrical, setting the harness on fire then redoing the electrical again... getting the crab dialed in, the usual.

I did finally get out for my first test runs though! The rear suspension felt awesome, the work there was very much worth it. The front end needs a bit more dialing in, and I'm feeling a bit of a notch in the steering bearing, so I'll probably swap that out.

There are still more electrical gremlins haunting me though. After riding around for about an hour and stopping at a few places I thought I'd head over to a local mechanic to see if they would do a motorcycle inspection to get my plate sticker (they said no and told me that one of my head lights was out. I said "oh, thanks" - it was the high beam, I definitely went to the wrong place). I hopped back on the bike and it wouldn't start, the battery was dead... couldn't kick it over either. After a few minutes of trying to start it some kid wondered out for a smoke and saw me, he thought the bike was cool and wanted to help me out with a battery jump pack. The bike fired right up and I got it home. After a bit of testing it looks like the charging system isn't working... so that will be the next hoop to jump through.

I'm seriously considering completely redoing the entire electrical harness next winter.

Any way, pics:

So that's how she sits right now, There's still some more finishing work to do on the paint, plastics and graphics, but I want to get it running right first.

CSF screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 07:43 PM
Old 03-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #149
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,287
Nice job, bike is looking really good!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:10 AM   #150
CAPTAIN Z
OZ Mission Master

Oddometer: 124
very nice mate looks great.
how's the new seat feel, good, what materiel did u go with the carbon, gripper, vinyl???
thinking about ordering one for my 640
CAPTAIN Z is offline   Reply With Quote