Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #151
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,521
What'd you do about the tail/brake light? It didn't look stock. (Not the LED add on)
Old 03-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #152
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN Z View Post
very nice mate looks great.
how's the new seat feel, good, what materiel did u go with the carbon, gripper, vinyl???
thinking about ordering one for my 640
The seat I got has the carbon sides and the gripper top. There is tons of grip that keeps you planted, great for off road. It is a huge improvement to the old couch cushion that was the worn out old stock seat. I'd highly recommend one. I find the ergonomics of the seat are great too, the ridding position is very comfortable.

"Kawidad - What'd you do about the tail/brake light? It didn't look stock. (Not the LED add on)"

The tail had a huge melted hole in one side burned in by the exhaust, so I trimmed it down to a nice point. I'm waiting for my KTM dealer to get in a few more of those nice KTM plate holders they sell and I'll finish off the tail with that eventually. Not sure if anyone riding behind me on a dirt road will appreciate it. The light is stock.

I was finding the idle to be a bit off and it was running a bit rich, so I raised the needle clip one position. That seemed to make a difference.

This morings test ride:
 photo IMG_0031_zps32fa1d16.jpg
CSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #153
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A few shots from today and last week:

Clean:

Dirty:

Still working on a few things, the paint went a bit sideways on me so I'm going to let it cure for a few weeks and repaint a few areas. That's slowed me down with me decals, but it will eventually happen.

I'll slowly get the suspension dialed in as well, I'm finding the front end a bit soft for my tastes... may need some springs...
Old 04-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #154
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,313
Looks Good!

What Wolfman bags are those? What do you think of them?

I'm re-doing my suspension as well, just ordered some new heavy springs front and back ,and when they come in a having them installed an revalued by a local shop. To me OEM feels under-sprung front and rear, and the stock valving is rather harsh...if that makes sense.

If you ever make it up this way let me know and I'll try and get out for a ride with you.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #155
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey thanks!

I totally agree with you, I think the bike is way under sprung for the sort of trail and terrain we have here in Ontario. I had the rear shock rebuilt and put a new (way) heaver spring in, I'm really liking the feel from the rear suspension now.

I'm sure that the front will need to be reworked too...

Sure sounds good, I'm out in Trenton riding quite a bit, but I'd love to checkout the trails further East.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #156
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF View Post
Hey thanks!

I totally agree with you, I think the bike is way under sprung for the sort of trail and terrain we have here in Ontario. I had the rear shock rebuilt and put a new (way) heaver spring in, I'm really liking the feel from the rear suspension now.

I'm sure that the front will need to be reworked too...

Sure sounds good, I'm out in Trenton riding quite a bit, but I'd love to checkout the trails further East.

If you need springs for the forks, call James Hunt at Cycle Improvements in Waterloo....He'll let you know what you need.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #157
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Looks Good!

What Wolfman bags are those? What do you think of them?

I'm re-doing my suspension as well, just ordered some new heavy springs front and back ,and when they come in a having them installed an revalued by a local shop. To me OEM feels under-sprung front and rear, and the stock valving is rather harsh...if that makes sense.

If you ever make it up this way let me know and I'll try and get out for a ride with you.
This might help with the harsh suspension.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191732

bll

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #158
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Bill, as usual you have all the right info! I'll read through that thread this week.

By the way juames - those bags are the Wolfman Expeditions, I've attached them to the rack that came with the bike (I think its the KTM hard parts rack?) I'm really liking the size of the bags, great for most situations. I also have a small/medium size pelican case I'll be installing as a lockable top case. I'll throw up some pics when its all installed.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #159
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

BTW, meant to ask about your exhaust header...do you have and aftermarket one? Looks different than mine, no blueing .
Old 04-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #160
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yea, I bought a second hand, uninstalled Big Gun full system. It came with a Hindle slip-on as well. I haven't tried the Hindle yet. The Big Gun is garbage, I lost the quite core insert, aluminum end cap and spark arrestor on my second real ride. The 3 screws that held that stuff all in stripped out... I walked the road that stuff all fell off on and found everything but the spark arrestor. I retapped the ehaust with some much longer metric cap screws, I'll have to make/buy a new spark arrestor. Any way, I didn't pay much for everything and wanted an exhaust that the US Forest Marshals would approve of if I ever get to do some rides in the States. I also thought the stock exhaust was way to heavy. I guess that's one of those you get what you pay for lessons.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #161
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well its back from the dead... this thread that is.

I'll add some of the stuff I've done in the last year or so later... I've been meaning to do that... and there has be some good stuff...

But first the bad stuff. I've been busy prepping the bike for the coming season. I decided to have a look at the engine... I have been somewhat dreading it; at the end of the season last year, I decided to do one last solo ride, it didn't end well.. I had dunked bike into a bog while it was running and submerged it pretty good... after changing the oil a few times I got it into winter storage mode and didn't look at it to much after.

Well since the spring prepping has gotten under way I'm noticing a bit of oil seeping from the rocker cover...some milky oil, and a few dots of oil in the rad.. I took the rad cap off to check if I'm getting any bubbles while the bike is running... I'm seeing some bubbles (although it may just be the movement of the bike I'm seeing) when I crack the throttle but not at idol... I'm not seeing any white vapor from the exhaust or any signs of water in the exhaust... oh and she runs like a champ ( I really love the sound a LC4 makes at wide open throttle)

I rebuilt the water pump late last season and used the generic grey gasket goop from the auto parts store to seal the rocker cover...

any way, I guess what I'm asking is should I be just redoing the rocker cover and water pump sealing, ordering a top end gasket set, or looking for a new head and/or ordering a new piston and/or rings... (If there's any pics I should post up to show what I'm talking about let me know)
Old 03-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #162
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:

There are still more electrical gremlins haunting me though. After riding around for about an hour and stopping at a few places I thought I'd head over to a local mechanic to see if they would do a motorcycle inspection to get my plate sticker (they said no and told me that one of my head lights was out. I said "oh, thanks" - it was the high beam, I definitely went to the wrong place). I hopped back on the bike and it wouldn't start, the battery was dead... couldn't kick it over either. After a few minutes of trying to start it some kid wondered out for a smoke and saw me, he thought the bike was cool and wanted to help me out with a battery jump pack. The bike fired right up and I got it home. After a bit of testing it looks like the charging system isn't working... so that will be the next hoop to jump through.

I'm seriously considering completely redoing the entire electrical harness next winter.
I was curious as to how you ended up sorting this particular problem out. My 625SXC does the same thing. I am putting in a new battery and installing a new ground wire, but was wondering what your solution was.

I think I might redo my harness as well, I liked RTWPaul's Deutsch connector upgrade.

Chuck
Old 03-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #163
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo View Post
I was curious as to how you ended up sorting this particular problem out. My 625SXC does the same thing. I am putting in a new battery and installing a new ground wire, but was wondering what your solution was.

I think I might redo my harness as well, I liked RTWPaul's Deutsch connector upgrade.

Chuck

Hey Chuck,

I had switched two connectors around when I put everything back together and that caused the charging issue... I went to the wiring diagram and traced things back, that got me going again... I would start there. If that doesn't help then I would look at the Regulator / Rectifier... ensure all the connections are good and there are no broke or damaged wires. If your bike is running then I believe you can test the functionality of the R/R. Good luck!

Anyway this year electrical problems have me stymied again... I've started switching all of the connectors over to weatherpack's and doing a few other wiring clean ups and upgrades. I got everything back to how the wiring diagram shows things should be connected and I get no spark, but the starter runs... I'm thinking its either the stator or the CDI as I've gone through everything else and everything seems to check out...

I did sort out my "head gasket" issue and I think it was just me being paranoid... perhaps to much reading through other peoples problems and expecting the same things on my bike...

My stator looks "burned", but when I tested resistance it looks okay, however visually it does not... I have no way of testing output as the bike doesn't run. So I've orderd a new one from electrospot - at the very least it's a good upgrade... I'm really hoping that its not a CDI issue, mine does seem to have the dreaded buzz.

I have found a supplier for CDI's that has a reasonable price and a "tunable CDI" that will work on the LC4 - if anybody cares to check these guys out - ignitech.cz - or if anyone has used them then let me know what your experience is. Their price is reasonable compared to used CDI's on eBay and new ones from local dealers... and they use stock connections for a 2002 640, which is nice because the stock 2002 CDI has been discontinued and I'd have to adapt the newer model to my wiring harness... they also have software to tune their CDIs. The one I'm looking at comes with two preset programs. I believe its set up like the 2003+ CDI with a high and low octane map... not 100% though as there was a bit of a language barrier...

I mention a few other upgrades I've made but will wait to share them once the bike is up and running again.

CSF screwed with this post 03-26-2014 at 05:30 PM
Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #164
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Hey Chuck,

I had switched two connectors around when I put everything back together and that caused the charging issue... I went to the wiring diagram and traced things back, that got me going again... I would start there. If that doesn't help then I would look at the Regulator / Rectifier... ensure all the connections are good and there are no broke or damaged wires. If your bike is running then I believe you can test the functionality of the R/R. Good luck!.
Yep, my bike starts, but after it has run a bit it wont restart. I am guessing I have a battery issue. Thanks for the clarification!