Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #106
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Interesting... I put my battery back on the charging system I bought and its showing that the battery is dead... Yesterday when I took it off the charger it showed that it had a charge, but I never got a reading of more then 12.
CSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #107
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF View Post
Interesting... I put my battery back on the charging system I bought and its showing that the battery is dead... Yesterday when I took it off the charger it showed that it had a charge, but I never got a reading of more then 12.
You've got a dead cell or six. Time to replace that thing.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #108
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Set up jumpers from my running car to the bike... nothing but that damn neutral light. No lights horn or anything else. I don't know what to do now... I guess I have to start testing if I'm getting any power to the dash?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #109
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:
Set up jumpers from my running car to the bike... nothing but that damn neutral light. No lights horn or anything else. I don't know what to do now... I guess I have to start testing if I'm getting any power to the dash?
This may sound too obvious, but did you check all the fuses?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #110
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

yup, checked the fuses.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #111
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I went and tested the leads to the horn, signals and a few other places with my meter. I get the same reading there as I do from my battery. I'm not getting power to the dash but It sounds like a relay is switching when I turn the ignition, a smaller one close to the horn . The only place the power seems to die is the switches and the dash. The dash worked fine when I removed it though, doesn't seem right that after sitting for a couple months it would go bad. Is there some type of internal battery that needs to charge in there?

CSF screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 03:37 PM
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #112
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,126
Similar results for me when I swapped engines. My issue was caused by the 2pin plug that hangs behind the headlights, the purpose for this plug is to disconnect all the electricals, except what is needed for the engine to run. Double check that plug!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #113
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I downloaded a color wiring diagram and started going through the bike, I corrected a few things and hooked the battery up turned the key... lights! The dash lit up my horn works and then I noticed everything was sort of flashing... like a blinker flashing. I tested the turn signals and they're not working, no led indicators at the dash either. I traced out the flasher, which when I found it was pretty hot. I pulled it and everything stopped flashing. So one problem down, and another one pops up. I'll start tracing back the signals and see where that takes me.

I'm happy that the dash works though, it feels like progress.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #114
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
I downloaded a color wiring diagram and started going through the bike, I corrected a few things and hooked the battery up turned the key... lights! The dash lit up my horn works and then I noticed everything was sort of flashing... like a blinker flashing. I tested the turn signals and they're not working, no led indicators at the dash either. I traced out the flasher, which when I found it was pretty hot. I pulled it and everything stopped flashing. So one problem down, and another one pops up. I'll start tracing back the signals and see where that takes me.

I'm happy that the dash works though, it feels like progress.
Wiring diagrams are awesome, except for when you buy an older bike and previous owners have replaced wires with colours different to the diagram!
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #115
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 716
Linky for the colour wiring diagram??

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #116
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson View Post
Linky for the colour wiring diagram??
This is for the 2002, not sure how much it would help you:

http://drduck.smugmug.com/photos/163939619-O.jpg
Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #117
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After extensively testing my battery and hours of charging with no real effect... I'm pronouncing it dead. I'm looking into a suitable replacement.

Electrical woes aside, progress needs to be made. A package all the way from California arrived yesterday. So I thought I'd distract myself with something shinny, a Seat Concepts foam and cover.

I watched their instructional youtube videos and prepped everything according to their instructions and got to work.

I removed the old seat cover, cleaned the pan. Then sprayed the new foam and seat pan with 3M 77.

I fought with aligning the new foam on the pan a bit, but eventually I won.

I threw the seat cover in the dryer for a bit to warm it up and borrowed my wife's hair dryer to aid in the warming/stretching process... I did however forget to put the dryer back.. that was a bit of a mistake

It was a bit of a process to align the cover to my liking. I stapled it down in the back and wasn't super happy with my the way everything looked so I pulled the staples and started over. Once I got the front and back down everything else wen't fairly smoothly. I did find that I had to turn my compressor way down for the stapler, as it was really easy to blow stapes right through the seat cover, leaving a hole. Which was not good.

I'm fairly happy with the way it turned out, although its not as easy as it looks in the videos. It felt really nice to sit on, much better then the old couch cushion that was on there

Next up, carburetor rebuilding...
Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #118
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Next up, carburetor rebuilding...
Suzuki SV1000 - My road monster
KTM 640 LC4E - Adventure bike (project)
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #119
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
I'm fairly happy with the way it turned out, although its not as easy as it looks in the videos. It felt really nice to sit on, much better then the old couch cushion that was on there
I've been wanting to see how they look! Now I know! Looks like the best bang for the buck, still want a Renazco, but I don't have an infinite budget!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 AM   #120
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,313
Nice job on the seat!

I did mine in the spring and am really happy with it. It's a vast improvement over the stock.