Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #316
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,544
Yeah I agree, I think that's pretty much true anywhere I've been too, if boiled down to a general rule. Although either could try to get one over on you if you weren't paying attention. Down there, shame still means something. Here we have the law.

The i-5 is an Intel processor; W7 is Windows 7 operating system from Microsoft, and Vegas is Sony Vegas professional video editing software..... therefore, about as far from Apple and Mac as it gets. 16 gigs of quad-channel memory at PC1600, solid-state boot drive, and so on, I like my Digital Audio and Video Editing Workstation that I built! Sorry, I thought you knew this stuff.

Stay safe! And thanks for the taste of what it's like.

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #317
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,249
Absolutely fantastic ride report! Well done sir, well done indeed.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #318
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Yeah I agree, I think that's pretty much true anywhere I've been too, if boiled down to a general rule. Although either could try to get one over on you if you weren't paying attention. Down there, shame still means something. Here we have the law.

The i-5 is an Intel processor; W7 is Windows 7 operating system from Microsoft, and Vegas is Sony Vegas professional video editing software..... therefore, about as far from Apple and Mac as it gets. 16 gigs of quad-channel memory at PC1600, solid-state boot drive, and so on, I like my Digital Audio and Video Editing Workstation that I built! Sorry, I thought you knew this stuff.

Stay safe! And thanks for the taste of what it's like.

LOL - the Dell guy talked fast like that too - had to make him slow down and use small words so I could understand.

Yah, I think my computer has that stuff except the Vegas software. Have been using Movie Maker which is pretty basic but its ok for me.

I appreciate that. Thanks for following and chiping in.
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #319
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Absolutely fantastic ride report! Well done sir, well done indeed.
Well thanks so much for the kind words - glad you are enjoying.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #320
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Feb 18 - 20 Huaraz

Although the hotel was incredibly quiet and I slept well, I woke up feeling tired and crappy.

So, was glad I only have an hour and a half ride today, took my time getting away. Went back downtown for breakfast - you can see how they serve coffee in many restaurants here. The little pitcher has a concentrated coffee, kind of like espresso but it's cold. They then give you a thermos of hot water. Much better than the instant coffee many places use.

Then snuck some pics of the local ladies with their hats. The hats worn by the ladies fascinate me. Have really been noticing this since Ecuador. Each region seems to have one or two distinctive styles of hats worn by the ladies along with their local fashions.

In Caraz most of the hats were white, kind of Mad Hatter style. As I moved south they had the same shape but were heavy felt. Then start seeing the huge cowboy hats. I think this whole hat thing in South America is very cool.

Beautiful country to Huaraz. A lot of rich farmland and very healthy crops. Wide variety of crops grown. Mountains towering over.

Lady looking after her little farm

Then start seeing some of the "cowboy hats"

Arrive in Huaraz and it is completely different than I envisaged. The downtown is very busy with lots of vendors and people packing the streets. Look for a couple of hotels Iíd checked on and canít find them. The place is mayhem and Iím not thinking this is where I want to stay for a couple of nights.

Go look for some of the hostels Iíd found. The first one wasnít where I thought it should be (more correctly, I wasnít where it was) but there was a nice looking place there. They didnít have parking but they said they thought the place next door did.

Hostel Churup was exactly what I wanted.

When I asked about parking Epi, the manager started hemming and hawing. Said they basically had one space and it was taken. However, if he got the guy to move his car I could ride through the garage and park in the laundry area at the back. Just a few small steps, should be ok.

While Iím waiting for the guy to move his car, I ride down to the Plaza for some lunch and when I get back Epi said they also own the house next door and I could park inside.

Hmmm, even better but the curb is about 10Ē high. Iím sure a dirt rider would be over that in a heartbeat but I ain't no dirt rider and me trying to mount that puppy would be which I do enough already. Found some old wood and made a little ramp and with the help of Epi got it inside. Had to take the bags off to fit through the door. Parked in the living room and, out of the rain.

That evening was feeling cold and hungry so tried to warm up by walking back down to the Plaza for dinner but just couldnít get warm. Passed this lady selling all sorts of knitted wool stuff and immediately spotted a pile of toques. That's what I need! So, bought me a gen-u-wine Peruvian Andes Inca wool toque for 6 soles Ė about $2.25.

Not only warm but stylin . . .

Then found a little hole in the wall and had Brochette Ė good.

Lots of thunder and rain before I left but had stopped. Started raining again during dinner and then the power went off. Good thing I already had my food in front of me.

Still feeling crappy and realized I probably had a bit of a cold. May have been a little altitude adjustment contributing also. Generally, Iíve handled altitude pretty good. I might feel a little off for a day or so when first going to altitude but I seem to adjust fairly quickly. This felt more than the altitude thing.

Didnít feel like doing much the next day and decided I would stay a third night. It was a nice town, great, homey hostel. So, lounged around, updated the ride report, did some trip planning and goofed off. Wait, thatís what I do most of the time Ė oh well, at least I have an excuse now.

Really like this hostel. Big room, lots of place to put junk. The fourth floor is a kitchen / dining room and living room with huge windows looking at the spectacular snow covered mountains of the Cordillera Blanca mountain range. The second pic is of Huscaran, the highest mountain in Peru at something like 22,000 feet.

Did take a walk downtown looking for a replacement switch for my spot lights . . . which I had broken. No luck but a few shots of some of the people. (This will have a bit of a hat theme) The ladies usually have a shoulder cloth which is used to carry things on their backs. Everything from groceries to produce they want to sell

to their kids.

Another hat pic
- when they are wearing their go-to-town hats, they like to perch them right on top of their heads

The odd young girl even gets the hat

Couple of Transitas . . . the helmet worn by the driver seems to be standard across Peru. They wear them more as a hat as they are still on when just walking around.

Even had a demonstration march of some sort through town. The Riot Police at the back didn't seem too worried about it though as they were just carrying their equipment and the one guy is chatting on his cell phone

The chicken vendors sell their birds plucked but not cleaned.

An egg vendor

Given that almost all of the concrete used here is hand mixed, this self loader seems about as close to a Ready-Mix truck as they get

Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #321
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Very cool, RexBuck! Hang in there and recupere su Šnimo! Hope you get back to 100% quickly.

PS: I used Movie Maker before picking up the professional Vegas suite. MM works just fine within its limitations. You might enjoy creating with Vegas too with its vastly greater customizations, disc menu controls, multichannel sound mixing, multiple video channels, video and audio effects, etc., etc., but when you start getting more fancy with your production it takes more time to produce.

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #322
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Very cool, RexBuck! Hang in there and recupere su Šnimo! Hope you get back to 100% quickly.

PS: I used Movie Maker before picking up the professional Vegas suite. MM works just fine within its limitations. You might enjoy creating with Vegas too with its vastly greater customizations, disc menu controls, multichannel sound mixing, multiple video channels, video and audio effects, etc., etc., but when you start getting more fancy with your production it takes more time to produce.

Thanks ONandOFF. I got some extra blankets and by the third morning I felt fine.

The biggest problem I have with new software such as Vegas (other than the price . . . $900 ) is taking the time to learn it. I have the attention span of a gnat and have a hard time staying at learning new software long enough to even start it up. Hell, I don't even know how to use all of Movie Maker.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #323
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

I know, man, but I took it as a challenge. I needed to make a production that MM couldn't handle. And I was able to pick up Vegas at the educator discount, which really helped. Now, I could really use an update, but that's $199! I use Sonar (a high-end audio production tool) too - a lot more than Vegas, actually - and I was into that well prior to getting Vegas... a lot of the editing concepts carry over, though. Well, you know what the next step is, anyway, come the winter you're not so fortunate as to be out gallavanting around in wonderland, and feeling like a challenge.

So glad you're feeling better!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #324
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 842
And the Oscar goes to........Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #325
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Notice it's called "The Oscars" now? Up to recently it was known as "The Academy Awards"
Old 02-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #326
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Feb 21 To the Coast and Huacho

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

What a beautiful ride downhill back to the coast. Leaving Huaraz we are treated to virtually blue sky so I had to grab one last picture of Huscaran

As I was leaving town I noticed a whole bunch of people along the side of the road and each had a few sheep or hogs. I guessing today was sell you sheep and hogs day and a truck would be by shortly to pick them up.

Elevation starts at 10,000 feet in Huaraz and slowly climbed as the road continued to follow up the Santa River that flows through CaŮon del Pato. Some of the scenery outside of Huaraz

The Cordillera Blanca mountains continue on from Huaraz border this valley and I was treated to the spectacular views of the snow capped peaks as the road approached 13,000 feet.

Finally left the river and climbed the last bit cresting a great switch-backed and twisty road that was to take me back down to sealevel. At first it looked like I would have a fog treat again but was able to stay under the blanket and just have a good time.

Have never seen hogs hearded down the road before.

The ultimate location for your house

New hat styles for this area worn by this pump jockey

Peppers drying on the side of the road

Finally arrived in Huacho with a couple names of hotels but no idea exactly where they were. Rode down the street the first one was supposed to be on and while I had a street number, the buildings didnít seem to Ė unless they were cleverly disguised. Went looking for the second one and drove right up to it. Guess this is the one I want.

Overlooking the bay, across from the beach, secure parking, WiFi but insanely overpriced. Oh well - $60 isnít the end of the world nor the most Iíve paid. Have not had a sunset picture for awhile - this was looking out of my room.

Sent me up the road to a restaurant called Bolivar and I had an exceptional meal of pork chops done with Peruvian spice. They also had some green sauce that looked like mint sauce but was made from peppers. Outstanding.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #327
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
... insanely overpriced. Oh well - $60 isnít the end of the world nor the most Iíve paid. Have not had a sunset picture for awhile - this was looking out of my room.

Wow, that's double the highest I've heard of anyone actually spending for a room in Latin America, but wow, that picture alone is worth it! That's something to have printed out on a large format and framed to be put up at home in a prominent place! I certainly would
Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #328
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 842
Scenery

Rexbuck

Looks like fantastic scenery in Peru. How do you rate the riding in this region compared to some of the other areas.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #329
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow, that's double the highest I've heard of anyone actually spending for a room in Latin America, but wow, that picture alone is worth it! That's something to have printed out on a large format and framed to be put up at home in a prominent place! I certainly would
Thanks ONandOFF. If you take enough pics, sometimes you get lucky and one turns out.

Room rates. It's easy to spend a lot more than that down here. I think most of us on the road for a long time try to keep it under control. I think I generally spend between $15 and $30 per night in Peru for decent places. It can vary widely country to country and region to region within countries.

Sometimes I'm tired at the end of the day or just lazy and don't feel like searching around for something better.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #330
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
Rexbuck

Looks like fantastic scenery in Peru. How do you rate the riding in this region compared to some of the other areas.
Yes it is spectacular. In my books, that really adds to the quality of the riding. I would rate Peru at or very near the top for outstanding riding.

Although I've stuck to mostly paved roads, we always seem to be twisting up and down mountains, wandering along rivers or even just going in a straight line across the desert. But almost always accompanied by some outstanding scenery. That would include mountains, plains, wildlife and the incredible local people.