Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #451
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
Hey SS, thanks for joining in and thanks for the kind words.

One of the areas I missed was Northern Colombia and I was thinking about taking a quick little side trip into Venezuela - maybe next time for my "see the places I missed trip"

Still in food withdrawal . . .
Let me know and I'll be glad to help with route/lodging/sightseeing suggestions, gps maps, bike needs and/or beer!

SS in Vzla. screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 10:11 AM
SS in Vzla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #452
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
You sir know how to eat.
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #453
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee View Post
It's been a great adventure. Thanks for taking us along.
It was a spectacular adventure for me. Thanks for joining in Pete.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #454
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday Rider View Post
Great update and wonderful pictures RB. I was missing my fix.
Too bad about the exchange rate mess. Should have seen how far Canadian Tire money would have got you
Glad you enjoyed it Sunday Rider. A little better planning would have aleviated the exchange problem. But, hindsight is always 20 20. Canadian Tire money would have got me about as far as Canadian money - it's pretty but wouldn't have bought much beer or wine.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #455
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
Let me know and I'll be glad to help with route/lodging/sightseeing suggestions, gps maps, bike needs and/or beer!
Thanks for the offer
Old 05-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #456
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I finally sat down to catch up on your Ride Report and I see that you're home, welcome back now its time to readjust to N America living

I've enjoyed following your trip. You've got a nice way of capturing what's going on
If you drop down into the Eastern Washington give me a shout and we can enjoy a few beers
Thanks Jeff and, it is an adjustment coming back home. Glad you enjoyed my report.

I do get down that way periodically and will give you a holler next time I stop over. By the same token, when you next sneak across the border to the Great White North let me know and we can get together.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #457
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
You sir know how to eat.
Yah, there are not a lot of things I don't like. I figure if you're going to eat, you might as well eat well.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #458
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Apr 6 – 15 Home

On the 3rd, I took the subway then a taxi to Dakar. Thanked Sandra and Javier, grabbed my bike and took the short half hour ride to the airport. Bike is weighed, ride it up on the pallet and it gets strapped down. Fortunately with United, I am able to stow some riding gear (not all airlines allow that) such as my jacket and helmet. Took the windshield off, deflated the tires and twisted the handlebars down to get the mirrors out of the way. Shipping costs are based on weight and volume. Volume is calculated from the highest point of the bike so, moving the mirrors and windshield out of the way can make a big difference in cost.

Everything is then strapped down.

Then the whole thing is wrapped in plastic.

Shipper takes my documents to the Aduana and the bike is checked out of Argentina. I’m done and catch the employee bus back into town.

On the 4th I went over to the shipper’s office which was only about 4 blocks from my hotel, paid for the shipping and received my Waybill.

On the 5th, I wait to see if there are any problems with the shipping (which there weren’t) and then get ready to head out to the airport for my flight. Of course, my 9 pm flight gets delayed until midnight which screws up my connections to Sacramento. Two different airlines involved and neither wants to issue the new ticket and accept the cost. So I finally do the equivalent of holding my breath and tell them to talk to each other and get it resolved, I’ll stay on hold till it gets done. It got done.

End up getting into Sacramento 2 hours later than originally scheduled so, the flight delay wasn’t so bad after all.

Got to spend a few days with my Dad and see my son and daughter in law while waiting for my bike to arrive in San Francisco. It actually arrived there Monday night after leaving BsAs Saturday night which I thought was pretty good for a piece of freight.

Couldn’t figure out how to get down to San Francisco airport other than a $160 limo ride. Finally found out about MegaBus. Thought I would help out the financially failing Sacramento commuter train and took a $2.50 ride from the station across from my motel to downtown Sacramento where I catch the MegaBus for a $6.50 ride to San Francisco . . . how good is that? My son picks me up and we go to find United Cargo and retrieve the bike.

Nice clear sky over San Francisco bay

Quick little jaunt over to Customs which was the quietest Customs/Aduana on the whole trip – nobody else there. Bike arrives looking a lot like it did when it left BsAs

We get it unwrapped, put back together and I blast back up to Sacramento.

Get my maintenance done, new front tire and I’m ready to go.
Nice ride back home. Seemed to notice the cold more. It was just as cold during many parts of my trip but I got whinier about the cold as I get closer to home.

Still have to stay at lower altitudes at this time of year as some of the passes have a bit of snow. My route for this time of year is past Clear Lake and through the Redwoods in Northern California. Cut over to Grants pass and hit the freeway to Eugene, then secondary roads up to Portland, across the river and follow Hwy 14 for awhile taking the back road to Goldendale. Then up Hwy 97 to Yakima and backroad to Ellensburg then through Ephrata and on to Omak.

Then last border crossing and home.

California Redwoods

Northern California Coast

When I crossed the river from Portland (about sea level) to Hwy 14, the temp dropped down to about 2 deg. I’m thinkin the Satus Pass may be difficult if it stays this cold as it is supposed to rain there. Sure enough, while the temp had climbed to about 8 in Goldendale, lots of snow on the hills and it started snowing with about 700 feet of altitude remaining to get to the top of the pass. Was down to about 1.5 deg and snowing pretty good when, it suddenly stopped and was clear sailing the rest of the way to the top. Weird!

Again, north of Soap Lake, approaching Chief Joseph Dam, starts snowing with fresh snow on the side of the road. Getting a few tracks on the road when we crested and headed down to the dam out of the snow. The rest of the way was intermittent rain and chilly.
And, home.

I’ll do one more post (soon?) with a summary of the trip and some closing comments
Old 05-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #459
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,838
Great story. Really enjoyed it. Thanks for taking us along.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #460
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 358
Loved both your ride reports, I imagine they are the type of trip I will be taking in a couple of years. Different bike but same hotel types etc.. I'll review both reports again and take notes. Thanks
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #461
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,285
Thank you for sharing this wonderful trip. Looking forward to the trip summary/reflection. I'm happy for you that it went so well and you had such a great time.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #462
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the kind comments folks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Sorry, I just realized I had some post- trip comments that I had written but apparently never posted. I wrote the following shortly after I got home:
It’s great being home, seeing Mrs RB and all but, I have to admit I am missing being on the road, having a new place to stay every night or every few nights and, above all, seeing the spectacular scenery and meeting the great people.

What a wonderful experience I have had. It seems somewhat surreal now, almost like a dream but as I think through different areas I visited, I can still see in my mind the roads, the scenery, the people and recall the multitude of new experiences. And, the food! Damn, I do miss the food.

As would be expected, much of the area I travelled through was nowhere near what I had envisaged in my mind. The roads, the mountains, the towns, the people . . . different than what I had imagined and, usually better. Rarely was I disappointed.

When experiencing different places, a huge part of the fun is the sensory overload of new sights, smells and sounds. The cultures, old and new, the people, the mountains, deserts, jungles and beaches. Strange new animals and strange new food. Latin America is a sensory delight.

There were places I missed in most countries I visited realizing you can’t see everything. I guess that is the sign of a successful trip when you leave wanting to stay longer. I rushed my last few weeks in South America and have a lot that I would like to visit or re-visit. This is a seed for another trip - maybe the other way around in a year or so.

Now that I’m home, it’s just like I never left, well except for the absence of the hustle and bustle of preparing for a trip. Some would say it is nice be back to civilization but I realized that is not a correct characterization. I found these countries very civilized, maybe not as technologically advanced, maybe not as wealthy but very warm and friendly people. I probably felt more comfortable and as safe or safer more often there than I do travelling through some areas of North America.

I’ll post some random observations about different aspects of travelling next.

RexBuck screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 09:00 AM
Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #463
O'B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Right on Dude!
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #464
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 651
Well said RB.

Where next.....
Old 07-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #465
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 358
Excellent thoughts! I really got immersed in your reports, this one and the Mexico one. I will use them for ideas on my trip planning as you traveled and stayed in great places that I would like to see.
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote