Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
dready bear OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
My easy & cheap WP fork setup on F650GS Dakar, what other extream mods have you done?

1st off, at the moment im 90% through fitting my WP forks on my Dakar, i found a way even easier and cheaper than the YZ/WR fit

Below is a pic of my rough mock up of my WP forks, just to see how cool there going to look

All that needs doing is turning the steerer down and fitting it all up after I buy one or two bits.
The reason why most people fit the YZ or WR forks is you don't need to trim the steerer down to fit the BMW bearings but you still need to make a spindle, brake caliper hanger, have them re valved/sprung etc ect

My way, after lots and lots of working out, is much easier by using CCM 644 DS WP forks. The reason for this is they used a 17MM spindle and they use the Brembo brake which are both exactly the same as the F650gs. I can also buy the brake caliper hanger from most bike shops as its used on the KTM's etc when a bike is fitted with a 300MM disk. I also don't need to re valve/spring them as the CCM 644 DS weight is almost exactly the same as the F650GS Dakar, i might still do it one day but its not critical.
Unfortunately the crowns/clamps/yolks, whatever you want to call them, do not have enough rake at 17, but this is fine as buying the yokes off a similar age (non supermoto) KTM (250cc-650cc), I bought LC4 ones, you will have a rake of 20MM, perfect for the F650GS.
So the only engineering for the whole job is trimming the steerer down. My mate is doing it for free but i have been out and gotten a quote of 15 to trim it down.
The total cost of all my parts; forks, yolks, hanger, brake line, spindle, and turning down is costing me a grand total of 185 - $309, bargain

And 2nd, im wanting my F650GS to be a bit more off roady, less like a cheap Chinese designed bike and as im setting off to Australia from Scotland in 8 months, a bit more adverture bike design.

I love the look of the seriously home modified ones, so can anyone here give advise and pics on what they have done to there F650gs's (not any touratech)in these areas;

-headlight, like of a Buell, KTM ect
-rear tail tidy/ total removal, bar essentials
-fairing cuts or fairings off of other bikes
-dash
-pegs
-handguards
-extra fuel tank where exhaust used to be
dready bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
dready bear OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
loads of you wont like the 'non cool, un touratechy' look of this and I only have pics of my 1st set up, more pics to come, but so far it works great.

I have come up with easy way to add an extra 5litre fuel tank, I placed it there by accident when sorting my gatage out but I ran with it. When I get panniers and they are on itle be nice and safe from too much dammage, saying that its very durable anyway so im not worried anyway.
I have bought a nice shiny new black plastic can, drilled a hole in the bottom corner. Then added a peice of hose with a tap midway down its length, so I can fill an MSR type can for a multi fuel stove. i also added a small filter to the line to stop most nastys getting into my engine.

Then the scary bit, I drilled a hole in the bikes fuel tank and fitted a threaded gromit. I chose one that when i remove the pipe I can then blank the hole off with a screw on, rubber sealed blanking nut.

dready bear screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 02:44 AM
dready bear is offline   Reply With Quote