Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
jackley OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Fuel Issue - 2008 KTM 690 Enduro

Hello,
I bought an 08 690 earlier this year and have had quite a lot of issues with it. But right now the fuel system is the one I can't seem to solve.

At first it ran fine, probably put about 2k miles on it before this issue came up. First signs were stalling when I started it cold. At first it would stall once, then be fine. Then after a few weeks, that grew in to not being able to hold its own idle until it was warmed up and running bad at certain rpms. Then pretty quickly (a few days) it got so bad I took it to a dyno tune guy that knows the 690 in hopes of figuring out what the problem was. The bike was running really lean, like crazy lean, he had to really crank up the fuel just to get me home.

At that point at least I had something to chase. I should mention that one of the things I replaced earlier was the fuel pump. I failed with an error code so that was easy to figure out.

So then I think maybe I did something wrong with that install, even though it seems weird that it would have run fine for a few months of riding every day.

So I pulled the airbox off to check the injector and give it a clean. That seemed to work fine so I ran some fuel injector cleaner through it. I say it worked fine, but to be honest this was the first time I'd ever done this so other than it shooting gas out, I'm not really sure what to "test".

Then I pulled the tank up again and pulled the fuel pump out again. While pulling it out it seemed like the lines might have been tangled and pinched, although, i'm not sure if that just happened while pulling it? Then when messing with it the ground connection came loose and finally broke off. So I thought maybe that connection was failing and that was the cause? I fixed that and put it all back together.

Then I pulled out my ECU cables from KTM twins and reloaded the map the bike came with. I started it and it idled perfect and ran great, for about another 500 miles. Then on the way in this morning it started acting up again. Feels like the same issue. Certain rpm's the fuel/air balance is so off it just falls on its face, if you try to power through it sometimes it recovers, sometimes not.

I'm not sure if this all makes sense or if it's something anyone can help through text, but I'm just really getting frustrated with this bike and could use some help. I don't want to go to the dealer.

Thanks,
james

jackley screwed with this post 08-15-2014 at 02:02 PM
jackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
jackley OP
Adventurer

As I'm thinking about this I thought I'd add to this thread. Both for me and if anyone has any ideas.

When I replaced the fuel pump I only did the pump (cycleworks) and the cheap ebay filter, I didn't buy the full kit from KTM, so maybe something in that is failing? Could the box/case that holds the pump get too "loose" so the pump doesn't have a firm back to pull on? So maybe after some time it wiggles loose? When I pulled it out last time I checked that and it seemed to be in pretty solid, but that whole setup is such a mess of tubes and wires that even pulling it out causes problems, so I can't tell what it looks like once its mounted.

I've also replaced the gas cap (Cj designs) so I'm pretty sure that is all working. It doesn't leak unless I over fill it, then it leaks out the overflow hose.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,113
Pull the injector off and when it sprays it should produce a figure eight pattern if it's not a full figure 8 then it's still clogged. You could've pinched the hoses when putting the fuel pump assembly back in the tank.

You need a 10 micron fuel filter anything larger will just cause the injector to clog again.

On my old 950 adventure a pinched fuel line (granted it wasn't fuel injected) caused a very lean condition I had a hell of a time figuring out. My money's on a bad filter, pinched line, or still clogged injector. Since you adjusted the fuel tables make sure to reset them after checking all the other stuff.

Most people use the 3011 Napa Fuel Filter
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:59 AM   #4
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
James, I know you used a filter from OKI as have tons of people, so I wouldn't think that is the problem.

Could be as simple as everything was working fine and now the injector is partially blocked as you've checked everything else...but yea, pulling pump is probably where to start, again.
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM   #5
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
The OEM fuel filter is not that great. I'd go ahead and replace that too. Especially on a bike that old. Go with the Golan which you can clean.

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...70-312g-filter
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM   #6
jackley OP
Adventurer

Hello,
I've pulled the tank open again and the negative connection that I fixed last time doesn't look that solid, so rather than try to find another connector that fits better, I may just solder it on? Just to make sure that connection is good. I'm hoping I can find time tonight to play with it some more, I'll let you know what I find.