Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #136
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
That is what I would do. And torque it to spec.
Yes, I forgot to add to torque it to spec. Thanks!!
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #137
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedperformance View Post
Has fmf slip on desmog kit and gearing..it is brand new and I'm not sure if it is the rev limiter or not..it is down one tooth in front and up I think the 3 in back..didn't drive stock so not sure whsts up..seems to be first 3 gears at wot but really doesn't seem to be over-reving..I'm new to the ktm world so any help would be great thanx
This post/question is pretty confusing.
You really should have rode it stock to get some sort of baseline. Then changed gearing... then ride it... then desmog... then FMF... then ride it.

One down in front (13?) and 3 up in back.(we do not know what you have). Sounds really low. But if you do not what what the bike sound like at rev limiter.. not sure we can help much?

c.vestal screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 08:04 PM
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #138
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 6,912
^^^^^

Can't imagine going WOT in first three gears with that gearing. That is some real tight single track gearing (similar to what I run on my old 520 EXC).

The desmog stuff and the slip on could have an air leak somewhere causing a lean misfire. Or you could be hitting the limiter with such short gearing.

Do you have a side stand? Is there a side stand kill switch?

2002 KTM 520 EXC for sale
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926379
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #139
twistedperformance
twistedperformance

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
^^^^^

Can't imagine going WOT in first three gears with that gearing. That is some real tight single track gearing (similar to what I run on my old 520 EXC).

The desmog stuff and the slip on could have an air leak somewhere causing a lean misfire. Or you could be hitting the limiter with such short gearing.

Do you have a side stand? Is there a side stand kill switch?

Got the bike new with everything on it dealer preped lol..it has 14/48 gearing it was 15/45...I think its the limiter checked fuel filter plug cap etc..why would they sell me gearing I can't use..seems to be a popular choice..I have all the stock parts just before I take it all off wanted to see if I was missing something..thanx for the help
twistedperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #140
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 15,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedperformance View Post
Got the bike new with everything on it dealer preped lol..it has 14/48 gearing it was 15/45...I think its the limiter checked fuel filter plug cap etc..why would they sell me gearing I can't use..seems to be a popular choice..I have all the stock parts just before I take it all off wanted to see if I was missing something..thanx for the help
Yeah- I think what was unclear is that you're on an EXC as opposed to an XC-W. Your gearing choice made perfect sense to me! (an EXC owner)

Couple things to consider- 1) check your plug. My plug's porcelin was cracked when I first bought the bike and I had a helluva time trying to figure out the problem. The crack was so fine that I didn't notice it till I handled it a bunch of times and my greasy hands highlighted the crack. 2) check for good solid seals on the hardware used to desmog the bike. Remove and re-loctite after cleaning vigorously. 3) double check that your air filter is not off kilter and preventing a good seal.

That's all I got at the moment. Somebody smarter'n me will pipe in with some useful info! Good luck
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #141
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
Yeah- I think what was unclear is that you're on an EXC as opposed to an XC-W. Your gearing choice made perfect sense to me! (an EXC owner)

Couple things to consider- 1) check your plug. My plug's porcelin was cracked when I first bought the bike and I had a helluva time trying to figure out the problem. The crack was so fine that I didn't notice it till I handled it a bunch of times and my greasy hands highlighted the crack. 2) check for good solid seals on the hardware used to desmog the bike. Remove and re-loctite after cleaning vigorously. 3) double check that your air filter is not off kilter and preventing a good seal.

That's all I got at the moment. Somebody smarter'n me will pipe in with some useful info! Good luck

Very good info. Thanks a lot!!!!
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #142
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
A brief update on my 500.

As a starting point, I love the chassis and the power. From a performance standpoint, it works really well out of the box, I haven't changed a thing, the only thing I can see myself doing is adding a bit of oil to the forks to help hold them up deep in the stroke. They are great on trail chop but a little soft when whoops come around.

However, I'm still getting lousy mileage. Out dry at 53 miles last week. So, I called KTM of Aspen (best shop in the world) and their analysis, based on extensive experimentation, is as follows.

1) None of the sensors can cause bad mileage. They will throw lights, but the bike will run just the same or not at all.

2) The TPS is the only one that can create a strange running condition- if it is way far out of whack, the bike will hesitate and stumble. But, that's at one extreme of the range- with it anywhere in the middle the bikes seem to run fine.

3) The fuel injectors are inconsistent. To get the smaller bikes to start easily at elevation, they have to mess with the mapping, and they found they required different settings on different specimens of the same model. They started swapping parts and found that the fuel injector is the cause.

So, the operating theory is that my fuel injector was sticking open, dribbling fuel when it should not have been, and thus giving me terrible mileage. I swapped it for the one I'd had in the airbox, but weather and work have prevented me riding it.

I think the useful takeaway point for anyone out there trying to tune one of these, is that the sensors are not likely the culprit.

News to follow when I get to ride it.
Great job at the Tuareg Rally!!

Has your fuel consumption issue been worked out with this new injector?

How are you feeling about the bike otherwise?

I am really considering buying a 500 EXC and am interested in your latest input.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #143
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,742
Look out for updates soon. I know he is out riding this week with a plan to test this further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Great job at the Tuareg Rally!!

Has your fuel consumption issue been worked out with this new injector?

How are you feeling about the bike otherwise?

I am really considering buying a 500 EXC and am interested in your latest input.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #144
woodzrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
fuel mileage

Just got back from a 440 mile dual sport ride in arkansas. Thought I might interject on the fuel mileage issue. I ran one tooth larger c-ssprocket (14t), otherwise stock bike with my fat ass on it. I ran about 50/50 hiway/dirt. The first time i filled , we rode 65.5 miles and put 1.2gal in the tank. That averaged 54.58 MPG. Not bad I thought. The next day
low fuel light came on at 88.4 miles. I dumped 2litres of spare fuel in and went 26 miles farther before low fuel light came on again. I got to the next gas station on fumes. Took 2.12 gal to top that time. I need a bigger tank.

This is on a '13 XC-W 500.

Robert.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219

woodzrider screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 12:46 PM
woodzrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #145
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,704
My consumption issues are solved. It was the fuel injector- I replaced it with the one I took out of my 12 500 when trying to diagnose that, and suddenly, MPG jumped to 40-50 depending on use, exactly what I would have hoped for.

Unbelievable to me that the bike ran well while getting 15-20mpg, it is definitely crisper now, but I'm amazed at how well it performed while drowning.

A lot of miles on the bike in the last few weeks, ranging from the 5 miles of hell to railing 6th gear tapped sand roads. It's amazing at all of it, I got back on my 09 450W and was definitely underwhelmed, mostly in the motor department.

Happy days with this bike now!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #146
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
My consumption issues are solved. It was the fuel injector- I replaced it with the one I took out of my 12 500 when trying to diagnose that, and suddenly, MPG jumped to 40-50 depending on use, exactly what I would have hoped for.

Unbelievable to me that the bike ran well while getting 15-20mpg, it is definitely crisper now, but I'm amazed at how well it performed while drowning.

A lot of miles on the bike in the last few weeks, ranging from the 5 miles of hell to railing 6th gear tapped sand roads. It's amazing at all of it, I got back on my 09 450W and was definitely underwhelmed, mostly in the motor department.

Thank you for your update.

I like to hear that you are happy with the bike. I am just waiting for mine to show up at the dealer so I can pick it up.

So exciting!!

How are you planning to carry a spare injector so it doesn't get messed up? Multiple zip lock bags with desiccant sacks in them??
Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #147
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,064
Quote:

Well,of course a 450 is more of a girl's or small child's bike

I dont think 50mpg on a 530 is possible on CA gas,I get high 40's if Im not doing stupid things with the throttle.
My 530 is slightly rich but has great snap that way,never pops or sputters and pulls hard through all gears. I think if their slightly lean they get hotter easier on tight trail and tend to pop more.

Ive gotten about 5 mpg better on streetbikes just from driving through Oregon,CA gas is a bad concoction of crapola and chemicals/ethanol.

(6th gear tapped sand roads..........Yikes!!!!! That would be around 100mph!!!)
Old 04-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #148
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:

thank you for the updated post, good info........more importantly glad you're having fun on the bike now.

ned can you elaborate on the bike injector symptoms that surfaced regarding throttle response?

my 500 (only 6.5 hours) is stumbling off idle, when opening the throttle from a closed position it hesitates a 1/4 second then pulls fairly cleanly. upper rpm's it runs smooth and fine i also noticed the fuel mileage go through the floor. so have pulled my injector and sending it off to get it tested and cleaned. new injector is installed but a busted arm is keeping me from riding. also the reason for no caps in the post.

since i'll be riding in the boondocks of southeast asia soon i'll be carrying a spare injector.

small enough to tuck away in a protected location, most likely in a small zip lok bag taped in the air box or behind the number plate.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #149
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
my 500 (only 6.5 hours) is stumbling off idle...
Those sound like injector issues.

A few tips on injector cleaning. Take the injector out, drown it in carb cleaner/ solvent, put the downstream end in the schraeder valve side of a bicycle floor pump, and blow into it. It'll take quite a few PSI (as high as 80ish), but it will let go and shoot a bunch of junk out. Easily done in the boonies provided you have a pump. No harm to the injector and typically the bike runs great after doing so.

Quote:
since i'll be riding in the boondocks of southeast asia soon i'll be carrying a spare injector.

most likely in a small zip lok bag taped in the air box or behind the number plate.
Exactly what I did. A couple tips here as well- take off the non-serviceable clamps and put on fuel injection hose clamps so that you can completely disassemble the system. I have found the small inline filters clog, and you can perceive the problem by blowing thru the line and feeling the resistance. There should be only a small amount, we had a 350 on this trip that was hard to get a breath thru. Removed the small filter and presto the bike ran great again.

My dealer is also recommending a big inline filter in place of the small ones, I don't have one on my bike (yet) but agree with the concept. He's got an aluminum one he has had good luck with, I'll get the brand name and add to the thread when I install one.

And finally, a picture completely unrelated to KTM 500s and anything else in this thread, but I just got it today and thought it was cool. From the Tuareg rally in Tunisia this year, bike is a 2009 KTM 505 XCF.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #150
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Sweet picture!

I read about a kit used for the recall on the 2011 500 models that includes 3 of the small filters and a clamp. I am trying to get the dealer to get me the part number as it would probably be good to have along for spares.

It sounds like you had the injector out. Did it have one of those little filters in the injector where the fuel flows in?

MasterMarine screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 05:58 PM Reason: spelling!