User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #166
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer: 101
Wicked

I am so stoked! I just ordered a 2013 500 EXC yesterday. I'm like an expectant father. This thread has been a wealth of info.

Thanks Gents!
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
BillUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #167
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillUA View Post
I am so stoked! I just ordered a 2013 500 EXC yesterday. I'm like an expectant father. This thread has been a wealth of info.

Thanks Gents!
I hear you! I have been waiting for about 2 weeks. I now have a pile of parts on the floor to put on but nothing to put them on. Hopefully it will show up next week so I can pick it up on the weekend.

I did sell my 200EXC yesterday so am feeling pretty good about that. Plus the weather has returned back to general dreariness again.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #168
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I hear you! I have been waiting for about 2 weeks. I now have a pile of parts on the floor to put on but nothing to put them on. Hopefully it will show up next week so I can pick it up on the weekend.

I did sell my 200EXC yesterday so am feeling pretty good about that. Plus the weather has returned back to general dreariness again.
Excellent! I think I am going to pull this thing out of the box and ride it for a few hours so I can establish a baseline.

The first thing that will come off though is the smog crap!

Cheers
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
Old 05-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #169
WRW9751
7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer: 365
Rekluse

I've got a 12' 500 xc-w, and would like to put a Rekluse on it. I was wondering if any of you have experience with it on a 500 and which model of Rekluse you've used? I don't race or compete, it's a trail rider and semi duel sport. I do plan on doing some single track Colorado and Utah this year. I like bullet proof stuff. Rekluses are all pricy, but $600 is better than $900!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #170
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,854
Several updates to add!

First, anyone who's watched this thread (and the 530 one) knows I'm a terrible bike whore. My dealer came up with a 450XCW, and I decided to jump on it. 500 will be for sale at some point soon... but first, I got the chance to ride the two side by side, a comparison further down this thread.

Second: Taking a brand new bike apart- why do I do this to myself?

On the new bike, I figured I'd put a filter in right from the get-go. I went with a Golan because they are high quality and serviceable... time will tell how it works. At the same time, I removed the small filter inside the fuel line.

I also decided to try a different skidplate.

The coverage seems almost excessive if that's possible, and it's a PITA to put on, but I think I can solve both of those with some judicious trimming and a welded on mounting nut. To be fair, it didn't bother me at all to ride with it, so maybe I won't trim after all.

To update on other options- I have now lost a KTM hardparts plate, broken the mounting holes out of the Hyde (in a non-event low speed scrape, it just came off, I'm sure they had cracked before and that was the straw), and bent the crap out of a Flatland. Kudos to Hyde for warrantying the plate, I still really like the idea of it, but I think there's too much strain at the tight bends where the mount indents are.

Now for the fun part. After picking up the bike in Aspen (KTM Aspen is the greatest dealer ever, every single employee is smart and a real rider and knows more about bikes than the rest of us do, and they ship parts every day!), I spent the night camped up a dirt road outside Paonia contemplating life, the universe, and everything. The thing about dirtbiking is not just dirtbiking, its everything that goes with it. I would never have had the excuse for that peace without the temptation to ride...

Anyway, I got up early and headed to Gunnison to meet my buddy Dave in Gunnison for a day playing at Hartman Rocks. Dave finished 2nd overall in the National Enduro series (for the year) 2x, and won a whole bunch of them, he seems to know how to ride a motorcycle. So that makes him the perfect guy to help me compare and contrast the 450 and 500, and get them set up.

Dave on his 05 525 that still works awesome!

Me on the 500:

The short version is, the 450 and 500 are both awesome bikes. They are not very different at all- much less different than the RFS 450/525 were, and somewhat less different than the 450/530 were. After riding them both, I can say with confidence I'd be happy with either, and would buy whichever one came along when I was shopping. But I prefer the 450. And, as if to spite me, Dave prefers the 500.

For me, the 450 seems like a slightly sharper tool. I feel like I hit my lines better, and am braver with the throttle because it's easier to get exactly what I want and not more. I felt it turned better, Dave felt they were pretty much the same. He's probably right, I'm probably trying to salve the smoking hole in my checkbook.

The 500 is clearly stronger off the bottom, I was trying to be nice to the 450 but my sense is, it's not much down on peak HP, but it builds to it more gradually where the 500 has a bigger lower-middle surge.

Gratuitous action shots just to keep you reading:

All in all, the 450 and 500 are 97% the same in terms of feel. The 450 is marginally smoother (vibes), somewhat easier to ride hard (for me), clearly faster than the last generation was, and my new favorite ride.

We also had the chance to compare a different suspension setup. I've been running the suspension from an 09 505XCF on my 500, mostly because the shock is slightly shorter and I read that the new chassis might like that. The 505 stuff is pretty stiffly valved, and the forks are twin chambers instead of the open-cartridge stock stuff. For clarity, my comparison of the 450 and 500 had both on stock suspension.

It is an interesting experiment. The bike is clearly more stable yet still turns very well, and that valving favors hard hits over the stock stuff, which is more plush.

With regard to the shortened rear shock, I would say it is a tradeoff that is beneficial, or not, depending on where you ride. If you're in tight stuff a lot, the bike handles better with a higher rear end. If you ride faster/ desert type stuff a lot, the lower rear end makes it stable without making it push.

I have not tried, but would guess, that slackening the stock spring to achieve lower rear ride height will not achieve the same thing as a mechanically shorter shock, because the bike will "swim" around more and be vague about weighting the front end.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #171
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
Ned- Did the new injector on the 500 solve your horrid fuel mileage issue?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #172
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Ned- Did the new injector on the 500 solve your horrid fuel mileage issue?
Yes it did. Went from ~15-20 to ~35-50. I am utterly amazed that it ran at all, let alone as well as it did, with the faulty injector.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #173
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Yes it did. Went from ~15-20 to ~35-50. I am utterly amazed that it ran at all, let alone as well as it did, with the faulty injector.

Ned, thanks for the great pics and comparisons. I used to race the RMEC back in the day and riding in the mountains is the ONLY thing I miss about living in Denver!
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
Old 05-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #174
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Currency converter puts it at round $445 (1840 Polish Zloty)
Lots of money... It seems very well made, but...
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #175
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
I got the chance to ride the two side by side
You're a lucky man!!! Thanks for the information!
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #176
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,461
Interesting to hear you take on the two bike - cool you could ride em back to tback. And the pictures are fantastic, stoked to get out there this summer. Thanks for the PM trail info - I've narrowed it down to a few different spots. Looks to be an overwelming amount of options so the local info is needed.

What rear tire do you guys run out there? I'm about to go on my 3rd in 110+ hrs. Replaced the stocker with a non dot 606 type that was good in the FL sand but the road sections between trails up in NC last month ate it up pretty good .

And pix from when it was new........ Down to 10 psi it was good in the soft stuff. Not so sure about CO trails?

Colemanfu screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 06:46 AM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #177
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,974
Quote:
Today was the first time i had run out of juice, luckiy i rolled into the garge.
It gave me a chance to check my milage ,I have measured the tank, it's 8.7 liters(2.29g) the ktm speedo readout is saying 115.1 klms or 71 miles 974 yrds( i know it's about 10% over compared to ico and gps) . The riding was all single track enduro style.

My question is , is this about what i should be getting?

Love the guard Ned and the pics, great looking country side. The guard could protect the sight glass. I had one break on my 06 450 , rock hit the brake lever and ting into the sight glass , tow home! I have tried sponge on the inside edge of the 500,s brake lever to absord any nasties energy, but that guard looks as if it may be close enough to the lever to stop any getting thru.

Here is a pic of my 500 @ this years CONDO 750
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #178
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2
Here is a pic of my 500 @ this years CONDO 750
The 500's feel so light--they make nice rally lite bikes.

What kit is that? Looks good.

We tested the Dottori kit at the Tuareg. Worked great.

DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #179
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,974
Thanks Dave, I got it off Don Mc Grath at CPW (cycle parts west) , in Western Australia. it's made for the previous models , but i got this one with some fibre glass and bog.

First crack at rallying, what a blast , loved it.
The bike used oil. It must have blown back thru the over flow into the airbox. it only dropped 1 liter at the last oil change, 500 ml short.

Anyone else had this ?
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #180
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Mine just started using oil too. I have about 120hrs and 2700 miles since August. Seems kinda early to be using oil.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote